Status: Active

You're All That I Hoped to Find

Chapter 2

The next day Jack found himself at the scene of a fatal car accident, where Matt Greene was driving drunk and drove his car straight into a lamp post. He died instantly. Jack shook his head as he watched the paramedics wheel him into the ambulance with a tarp over him. His fate was to be a wealthy partner of a well-known law firm, but when he was eighteen he decided he was too smart for college and instead turned to alcohol and began cleaning bathrooms for a living. The ambulance containing his body left, as did Jack.

Needing a pick me up from the usual death and depression -you could say those two definitely had their fair share of work- his humans face, Jack decided to stop at a bar in Germany where Hope and Camaraderie were currently at - just who he needed to see at the moment. “Jack!” They greeted, raising their glasses in acknowledgement. He smiled in return and joined them, ordering a scotch in the process.

“How’s business?” He inquired, looking over at Hope.

“It’s going great actually,” She replied with a smile. “Things are looking up for the future, and I believe it’s going to get even better. I visited quite a bit of hospitals today, trying to make as much a difference as possible.” Jack nodded, as she talked. Hope was one of The Rulers that you would always want to be around. She gave off an energy, that made you well, happy and hopeful - although that was her job, of course.

Camaraderie -Cam for short- nodded in agreement. “How about you, Jack?” He asked, signaling the bartender to bring them another round.

He shrugged as he took a drink of his scotch. “The usual, humans straying off their paths and becoming dead-beats, while I stand by knowing there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Hope gave him a small smile before saying, “Things will get better with time, trust me,” and then gave him a quick kiss on the cheek before leaving.

And he believed her.

- - - - -

Over the next few days, nothing very eventful occurred. That is, until he got a message from Gabe informing him he wanted to meet with him - immediately. Sighing, Jack transported to Gabe’s office -and by office, he meant the waiting room outside of it. After all, Gabe was an important man, to say the least and had the entire world on his hands. There really was no reference of time there. Once, when he was waiting to meet with him, he missed the entire Persian War, although that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Jack sat in a chair located in the corner, wishing he could become invisible up here, but he only could on Earth, unfortunately. There were quite a bit of humans in the waiting room, as well. All dead of course, waiting to be welcomed and registered to what they know as Heaven. This was what made him uncomfortable. You’d never hear a human speak highly of Fate, oh no. That’s what Destiny was for. Everyone absolutely loved her. Except Jack, though, in all honestly he thought she was a stuck up bitch. But maybe that was just Jealous working her magic on him. Regardless, humans didn’t like Fate, and they tended to blame him for everything that went wrong in their life. All it took was one human to recognize him then it would be like a domino effect, every single one shouting out their hate for him and how despicable he is.

Luckily, Gabe called him into his office by the name of Jack, rather than Fate this time, so he got to remain anonymous. That, alone is the reason some Immortals choose to go by different names. He entered Gabe’s spacious office rather cautiously. The entire thing was made of glass, and frankly that always terrified him. He wasn’t the biggest fan of heights, per say.

“Jack!” He greeted, sitting up in his chair, and throwing some papers into his desk, with a smile on his face. He was always one of his favorite Immortals. “It’s been awhile.”

“The first World War was the last time we saw each other,” He recalled thinking back to the troubled times.

Gabe nodded, before leaning forward onto his desk, getting down to business. “You know I like you, Jack but your accuracy has gone down another percent and a half, and that’s the lowest it’d ever been. Hell, it’s even worse than Charity’s figures. And you know how selfish humans are today.”

“It isn’t my fault,” Jack counteracted. “All the humans care about are objects, nothing else. Being successful is associated with how much money you make and how big of a house you have. They’re selfish and stray from their paths on their own.”

“I’m aware of this, but many of the fates you assign are out of their reach, therefore automatically resulting in failure. Look, you need to get your act together and improve your figures in the next few months, or you’ll be getting a demotion. Let’s just say you’d be lucky if you were handed Misery. You need to understand your humans, know what’s going through their heads. The more you understand them, the more successful you’ll be. Learn to love your job again, because you’re Fate, whether you like it or not. So you may as well do a damn good job being it. Got it?” Jack nodded in response. “Good. Now as much as I like you, I hope to not see you again for at least a hundred years.”

Jack knew that was him being dismissed and smiled before transporting out of the glass office back into his penthouse suite. He knew he couldn’t ignore what Gabe said about improving his figures. So if that meant getting close and personal with his humans, then so be it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hopefully I'm not boring you guys too much with this chapter. I was just trying to set it up for the future..but I believe Alex will come into it next chapter so yay! Thank you so much for all the feedback I've gotten so far! Please keep it coming, because I'm still kind of unsure about this, thanks. And sorry about how short this chapter was, I'll make sure the next ones are longer!