Status: Regular updates coming again soon

Please, Won't You Push Me for the Last Time

Chapter One

~Kellin~

I always hated announcement days, having to sit around with your stupid family watching the stupid President talking. I can never say that though, I didn’t need yet another pill, I’m sorry, cure, to take everyday. I know that all this defiance is unhealthy, a flaw, an imperfection, but I still don’t want to lose it.

“…and I’d like to just take this moment, to appreciate the things this country has accomplished…” the woman speaks through the projection on what’s usually a peacefully plain wall in my house “…because of America, there is no cancer, there is no suffering, no illness, there is no pain, physical or emotional…”

“Here it goes” I grumble, rolling my eyes.

“Here what goes darling?” my mother asks patiently.

“The part where she announces another war.” I say simply, knowing I’m pushing my luck. She looks at me curiously, knowing she can’t retaliate because we should be paying attention.

“…and that, that is why we continue to bring peace to the world. A country to the East is so plagued, so infected, that they resist even free assistance with violent attacks…” I smirk to my mother and she looks at me proudly, gesturing to her head, indicating that I’m so smart. Yeah, yeah. “…our brave warriors stand before you, preparing to cure this infection, remove the anger, and bring peace to our friends to the East…” It takes everything I have to hide my disgust as the camera pans over hundreds of blank expressions, people all dressed in identical uniforms, they look so robotic, so inhuman, so lost. I can’t believe we celebrate this, I mean, I know it’s great that there’s cures for all the illnesses and stuff, I learned about all of them in History class, and I know I’m only 16, and I shouldn’t question things I didn’t experience, I’ve heard that lecture enough times.

But people don’t seem to understand what we’ve lost. Last year I stumbled upon some of the banned records, people hid them at the end of the resistance. I found journals, artwork, and best of all, music. Not music like I learn in school or hear on the radio, but music full of emotion, intensity, and pain. It’s the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. How can we give that up for this?

I can’t stay in this place anymore. I get up and leave the house, muttering something to my mom about going for a jog. I know it’s illegal to be out during an announcement, and I’ll face hell for it later, but I don’t care, this is disgusting. The men on the TV all look the same. They have the same expression, same dead look, same thoughts even, and we’re supposed to celebrate that they’re willing to die for this stupid cause? They’re already dead.

~Vic~

Announcement days were always my favorite, the way everyone watches and just appreciates the country that has saved so much. Sure, it’s required by the government and the APA that we watch, but it’s great how nobody fights or questions it, they just appreciate the unity. How far humankind has come. “…our brave warriors stand before you, preparing to cure this infection, remove the anger, and bring peace to our friends to the East…” I watch excitedly as the camera pans over the soldier’s faces, they looks so organized, so strong, I can’t wait to be one of them. Only one more year of high school to finish and I’ll be off to basic training, and then I will get to fight for the world’s liberation. I can help cure everyone, prevent all the disease from the world, it’s empowering.

After the announcement my mother tells me I should go to the party and celebrate with my friends, she says she will take care of the housework tonight and smiles at me. How could I turn down her generosity? So I go out into the warm summer night and start heading over to the neighborhood barbeque.

As I get up to the street corner, I am suddenly interrupted from my thoughts by someone running right into me, full speed, and both of us falling to the ground.

“Sorry sorry sorry” the boy says frantically, jumping to his feet and offering me a hand. I sit on the ground and look up at him for a second, still in shock. He isn’t really dressed for running, wearing skinny jeans and some kind of flat shoes, frankly he looks like one of the people from the history books. Like someone you would’ve seen way back in the 2010’s. He has dark hair, kind of long, and piercing eyes. He is very pale and if he didn’t look so terrified might actually be rather attractive. He frowned when he noticed I was still staring at him, so I take his hand and stand up.

“Uh, no worries,” I say, confused, “why are you in such a hurry?”

“I just, I, uh… I was going for a jog…” he says looking nervous, and I’m suddenly concerned for this boy. He has all sorts of unhealthy tells, squirming and getting flustered about talking. He should get in for a mental health check soon. He seems to pick up on my train of thought.

“No, I, I’m just excited,” he says, smiling, “you know, the announcement, my, uh, patriotism just gets me pumped once in awhile, it’s nothing to worry about.” I nod at him, still unconvinced. “I better get going. I’ll see ya around,” he gives me the customary pat on the shoulder and starts running again. I stand for a moment watching this strange boy run, and then as he rounds a corner a few blocks away, I make a decision, and follow after him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I guess this is weird since I haven’t seen a bandfic in a setting like this before, but what better reason to write it? Anyway this chapter is short and things may not make sense yet, but it’s meant to be that way, so bear with me :)
This is also being posted on my tumblr if you'd rather read it there :)
http://kellicology.tumblr.com/