Status: One-Shot

Flyzik’s First Father’s Day

1/1

Jack sighed as he hung up the phone with his parents. It was Father’s Day, and he had to settle for just a phone call with his dad because his parents were on vacation. It had been a gift from him and his siblings, but Jack still wished he’d been able to see his dad now that Father’s Day was actually here.

He looked over at his boyfriend, lounging out on the couch with a book. He sighed to himself once again. They couldn’t even spend the day with Matt’s father, they’d been there for brunch but Mr. Flyzik had started not feeling too well and wanted to rest, so they went back to the apartment they had in Philadelphia (Jack could never pick a place to stay for too long, and Matt loved the city, so they settled in there.)

Jack put on his best smile and walked over to the couch, hopping on top of his boyfriend and straddling his waist. Matt took a deep breath, looking up from his book with a raised eyebrow. “Yes, Jack?”

“Let’s celebrate!” Jack said, smile widening.

“Celebrate what, exactly?” Matt asked, eyebrow rising further up his forehead.

“Father’s Day.”

“We already went to my dad’s and your parents are in Cancun.” He pulled the younger man down so he was laying almost flat against Matt’s chest, and wrapped his arm around Jack. Hoping this would be the end of the conversation, or at least until later, he went back to the book in his hand.

“Then let’s do something just us,” Jack insisted, nuzzling his face into Matt’s neck.

“That wouldn’t really make sense, Jack. We’re kind of not fathers,” he replied softly. He had grown accustomed to his boyfriend’s odd quirks after knowing him so long. They weren’t being disruptive and he wasn’t trying to work, so Jack got to see how he handled those quirks and moods when he wasn’t under stress. He wouldn’t tell the other guys, Matt’s temper was one of the few things that kept them in line during tour, and Jack would always end up listening even though he knew the softer side of the big bad tour manager.

“I know but…hey, what if we were?”

At that Matt froze for a second, before pulling away slightly so he could look at Jack. “How about we wait until we’re…more serious?” Jack pouted for a moment. He knew Matt meant no offense, but he couldn’t help but feel a little hurt at the statement. Before he could say anything, Matt caught on and added, “Not that we’re not serious, but I mean like…when we aren’t touring more than half the year and just moved in together.”

Jack nodded. “Yeah, I get what you mean.” He shrugged, getting up. He leaned down and pecked Matt’s lips. “I’m gonna go take a walk and let you get back to your book, I’ll be back soon.” He gave him another kiss, a little longer, before grabbing his keys and cell phone, walking out.

Matt nodded, muttering a quick, “See you later,” before Jack was out the door. In the quiet of the apartment and in about 40 minutes, he managed to get halfway through the book before bookmarking the page and heading into the shower. As he let the hot water soak his hair and body, he didn’t notice the sound of the apartment door opening and closing.

It was only after he shut the water off, wrapping a towel around his waist, that he heard all the crashing sounds from the other room. Eyes widening, he thought of maybe a burglar or something, and tried thinking of some kind of plan. However, he heard a curse in a voice he knew all too well, and all logic left his head as he went to make sure his boyfriend was okay.

Running out of the bathroom, ignoring his lack of clothes, he ran to the living room to see a disaster. The bookshelf had been knocked over, multiple picture frames had fallen off the walls, and some of the couch pillows had been thrown across the room. In the center of it, though, was Jack, on the floor with arms wrapped around a little ball of yellow fluff, trying to tug one of the pillows out of its mouth. He looked over his shoulder and saw his boyfriend, cracking a nervous smile. “Heh…I can explain.”

Looking back, Jack thought that maybe taking a walk wasn’t all that good of an idea. In his defense, he wasn’t expecting to pass a pet shop on this new route he was walking, nor did he think he’d end up going in. Nor did he think he’d end up falling in love with a way too hyper Golden Retriever puppy.

And he definitely didn’t expect the little rascal to ransack their living room as soon as he was let off the leash.

“Jack, not to sound rude, but what the hell is going on?” Matt asked, carefully picking the frames up off the floor, thankful none of them were broken.

Jack sighed, giving one more tug to the pillow to get it out of the puppy’s mouth. “I was on my walk and saw a pet shop and I don’t know why I went in but I found this baby and he was too cute and spoke to me so I bought him which I know I should have adopted but I just couldn’t help it but then I came back to surprise you with him but he was a bit more hyper than I expected and…well.” He motioned to the wreck and the puppy gave a happy little yelp. “And I was thinking, he could be ours. Like, our baby. Make us fathers without having an actual baby…if that makes sense. It probably sounds stupid,” he mumbled, looking down at the pup. “You hate it, don’t you?”

Matt sighed, moving to kneel down, hoping his towel stayed in place. “Jack, I do not hate it. I was just really shocked. I heard crashing and you curse, and I didn’t think a puppy was involved, I was expecting to have to fight off a burglar who was hurting you or something,” he chuckled.

“Is that why you’re naked?” Jack asked, not looking up from the puppy who was now licking his hand.

“Yes. But anyway, I don’t hate the puppy or the idea of the puppy. He’s going to need some training – or is it ‘she’ – but I like its enthusiasm. Reminds me of his daddy,” he said, which made Jack look up at him.

A smile came across the younger man’s face. “Yes, he’s a boy, and I’m so glad you like him. This little one is smart too, waited until I was home to unleash his crazy. Kind of like his papa.”

Matt laughed, shaking his head. He couldn’t believe this, he couldn’t figure out when he and Jack had become that couple, the kind to get a dog and call it their baby. He was eerily reminded of Alex and Lisa and their dogs before he shoved that thought out of his head. Because if he was honest, he didn’t really mind. He liked this. And he loved Jack.

“So what’s his name?”

“Pluto.”

Matt smiled wider. “Seriously?”

“Yeah, I knew you’d like it,” Jack said with a smile.

“I love it.” He leaned over and kissed Jack. “Happy Father’s Day.”

“Happy Father’s Day.”

“Okay, I need to get dressed now. Clean this place up?”

“Yeah, I’ll try.”

“Alright. Hey, Jack?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

Jack smiled wider, getting up as Matt did. “I love you too.”

Matt turned around and started walking. “Oh, and Jack?”

“Hm?”

“I’m pretty sure Pluto’s ripping your shirt pocket right now.”

“…God damn it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Father’s Day to all the dads, grandpas, godfathers, step-dads, and single moms who have to be a dad as well. I just wanted to write something cute but this was the only idea I didn’t end up scrapping. It’s gross and kinda fluffy and I don’t know if I like it but I’m posting it anyway?