Status: :3

The Pact

Zéro

The first time I saw her, she was walking out of PNC arena when I was walking in. It was the first time I had stepped foot in in PNC since last season. I remember it perfectly, she walked down the back hallway speaking to an older woman who spoke with an accent. She paid me no mind as I continued to stare like a fool. She was in the petite side standing at 5'4” or 5'5”, her skin was sun kissed and golden brown like she spent infinite amounts of time in the sun. Her hair was thick with curls, the wild curls could barely be contained by her french braid. She was beautiful and oddly familiar looking. I felt face grow hot as her wide brown eyes met mine, her full pink lips stretched to smirk before looking back at the woman next to her.

For six weeks we walked past each other exchanging polite grins. It wasn't until I decided to say good morning that she actually spoke to me. Her voice was velvety smooth as it bounced around my skull. It had become a routine we'd smile and say good morning and be on our way. Sometimes we would ask the other how they were, when I asked she always replied with a small laugh and the word tired.

A few weeks had passed within this routine. Smile, nod and keep it moving. Today would be no different as I passed her in the hallway.

“How are you?” I asked, hoping I didn't sound /too/ happy to see her.

She shrugged with a small smirk, “Tired as always”

I chuckled continuing my way down the hallway.

“Eliza” She called over her shoulder, “My name”.

I looked back at her with a smile and pink cheeks, “Jeff.”

She smiled, moving a mass of curls from her face, “Have a nice day, Jeff.”

The next week was the official start of the preseason. It was I finally learned where I knew Eliza from.

“Hey, you guys see the chick who's on the ice right now?” Nash asked in the dressing room before practice.

“No. Who is she?” Eric asked lacing up his skates.

Riley shrugged,” No idea, guess she's some kind of twirl girl, competitive ice skater or whatever.” He replied with an eye roll.

“Greaaat.” Jordan was not shy about his sarcasm,” Exactly what we need around here.”

“Ten bucks says she's a diva who thinks she's the next Oksana Baiul.” Faulk said with a slick smirk.

Jordan's brow raised at Justin, “I'm not even going to pretend I know who that is...”

“She's the first and only figure skater to win Gold at the Olympics for the Ukraine.” I said with a shrug.

Jordan's gaze then fell on me, causing my face to heat up. “What?”

The tall blonde rolled his eyes, “Nothing, ice princess.” This caused the entire room to erupt in laughter at my expense.

“Time to take the ice, boys.” Coach M said with a clap of his hands.

“I bet you this girl is nice and talented.” Cam Ward stated as the team began to file out, “Muller wouldn't have let her train here if he didn't think it was worth it.”

Faulk barked out a laugh, “Okay Wardo, I still think she'll be a raging bitch.”

The guys were buzzing in excitement of hockey season finally starting up again. As we made our way onto the ice the team felt silent. I had never seen these guys so quiet in all the time I'd known them. It was actually quite nice to have them silent for once.

My heart slammed in my chest as I caught a glimpse of the wild curls that I've come to be familiar with. I was enthralled from that point on, her movements were memorizing. She moved with more grace than any hockey player could ever imagine. I held my breath as she gained speed only to throw her body weight into what I could only assume was an axel of some type; double, triple... a quad?
As she landed, I swear I felt the entire team let out a breathe of relief. When she finally stopped moving she let out a cry of delight, pumping her hand in the air. An older man, who I presumed was her coach, clapped in praise.

“Oh my God, I can't believe I just landed that!” She squealed throwing her arms around the man.

“Looks like Gold to me, Miss Pope!” Coach Muller called to her across the ice. She turned around to face him a large grin on her face. In my head she turned in slow motion like a scene in a movie, hair moving slowly, bouncing as some unseen fan blew a breeze through her tresses. Her blush pink lips pulling back from her teeth in a sultry way that made my palms sweat.

“Thanks, Coach M!”
I don't think I ever saw Coach M smile at anyone the way he smiled at this girl. “If you wouldn't mind Miss Pope, I'd like you to meet the team.” She nodded skating our way with the same gracefulness she displayed just moments before.

“I take back what I said, I wouldn't mind seeing her around the arena. She's hot.” Nash muttered earning an elbow from both Jordan and Eric.

Nash was right. She was hot and I couldn't help but let my eyes wander across her body. She was lean with long, sinewy leg muscles, defined from years of hard work and probably some type of dance from what I could tell of her muscular legs. Those legs lead right up to a taut backside, sculpted by the gods if I do say so myself. She was every guy's dream poured into Under Armour leggings.

“Miss Pope, I'd like you to meet the Carolina Hurricanes. Boys, I'd like you to meet professional figure skater and Olympic athlete, Eliza Pope. She's been using our ice to prepare for the upcoming Winter Olympics. My heart thrummed at the thought of the Olympics. Would I be able to successfully represent Canada knowing she was in Sochi as well? I shook my head erasing the thought before I got to ahead of myself.

Eliza smiled at all of us, “Thank you so much for sharing your ice with me, girls can get a little catty around Olympic times. I'd like to not have a baseball bat sung at my legs a la Tonya Harding if you know what I mean.” She said with a chuckle.

Everyone chuckled even if they didn't understand the reference.

“So you were in the 2010 Olympics?” Jiri asked.

She nodded curls bouncing, “Yup.” She said popping the 'p'. “I placed third behind Mao Asada.”

“How old were you?” Nash asked next.

“I had just turned 17.” She said with a shrug. I could tell everyone was impressed by Eliza, even if they wouldn't say it out loud just yet.

“Well as the captain of the Hurricanes, I can say as a team we are honored to have you train under our roof.” Eric said in true captain fashion.

Eliza grinned, “Thanks, Captain. I better get going, I wouldn't want to take up all your time. Hey Jeff, mind handing me my skate guards, they're under the bench.”
My cheeks flushed pink as tawny eyes connected with mine. I nodded quickly before reaching under the bench grabbing the pieces of purple plastic. Her plush lips pulled back revealing her pearly whites as
the wool of her black gloves brushed against my chafed skin.

“It was wonderful to meet everyone.” The curly headed girl turned to skate away before turning back and looking straight at me. “Oh and Jeff...”

“Yeah?” I asked face burning hotter than ever before.

“Have a good day.”

A little smirk and that was it. She just skated away, leaving me wishing that the ice would melt and drown me so I didn't have to endure the stares of my teammates.

I rubbed the back of my neck awkwardly, “What?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I've been planning on writing this for a while! Hope you love it!
xx