To Roam Into the Unknown

Hangover

The sun shone brightly through the blinds. Aurora pulled the blankets from her face and groaned. A blurred glance at the clock showed it was well after 11:30. She sat up and instantly regretted the action. The room began to spin and she could feel the bile rising in her throat. She rolled to the side, tumbling out of the bed and threw up in the small trashcan.

Hearing the commotion, Loki hurried into the bedroom and knelt next to her. “Aurora?”

“Kill me please.” she moaned, her head still on the trashcan.

The smell of alcohol hung in the air. He smiled to himself, having been in her place once or twice he completely understood her comment.

“Now you know I couldn’t do that…” he said, rubbing her back.

She was quiet, her head turned away from him. He felt her shoulders shaking under his hand. “Aurora? Are you…crying?”

She opened her mouth to speak but a sob escaped. “No…” she squeaked.

“What is the matter?” he asked.

“I feel horrible!” she wailed.

Loki pulled the damp towel from his shoulder and gently wiped her face. “I imagine so.” he whispered, dabbing at her eyes.

She unexpectedly began to laugh.

His brow creased in confusion but the hint of a smile played on his lips. “What?”

“I was taking care of you…now the roles have switched.” she said.

He chuckled. “Indeed they have.” They stared at one another for a moment.

“You’re not like most men.” she said.

“No. I’m not.” he replied quietly. “Care for some coffee?”

Aurora’s eyes brightened. “YES. I would kill for some.”

Loki stood. “No need for that.” He grunted.

Aurora attempted to stand, but the room began to spin once more. Loki caught her as she swayed, her hands outstretched.

“Easy. Easy.” He lowered her back onto the bed. She squeezed her eyes shut and groaned. “Though this is the first time I’ve seen you in this condition, I do believe you have outdone yourself.” he said with a laugh.

She pulled the blankets over her head again. “I wish I could go back in time and slap the drink out of my hand.”

He laughed and patted her leg. “I’ll return shortly.”

Aurora poked her head out and stared at the ceiling. Her thoughts turned to last night and the events that unfolded. Her anger towards Chris flared up again. He was so damned arrogant. He could have any woman that crossed his path and yet he wouldn’t leave her alone. He had betrayed her trust and belittled her in the same sentence, in front of her friends.

“Lost in thought?” Loki walked in, a mug of coffee in each hand. He wore an old worn black t-shirt and pair of dark blue jeans.

She smiled and pushed herself up on her elbows. “Thank you…” she took the steaming mug in her hands and inhaled deeply.

He smiled, watching as she sipped the drink. Her golden hair was a mass of tangles. Her eyeliner was smeared under her eyes and her face was pale. She was beautiful.

Her eyes rolled and she smiled. “Delicious…” she said.

His smile widened and he took a sip, leaning against the door frame.

“Loki, you can sit down. You don’t have to stand.” she said, motioning to the bottom of the bed. The memory of his extremely erotic dream came to mind. He swallowed a mouthful of hot coffee and coughed.

Looking at her innocent face, he pushed the thoughts aside and took a seat on the very edge of the bed.

“I’m sorry about last night.” she said.

“You have nothing to be sorry for, Aurora.” he said.

“I do. I must have scared you to death. It was what? Three in the morning?”

“A bit after two…” he said.

“Just the same. I woke you up and I’m pretty sure I threw up on you.” she looked down at the bed and sighed. “And I took your bed.”

Loki sipped the coffee. “You did wake me up. But you most definitely did not throw up on me. And this is your bed before it is ever mine.”

She frowned, staring into the creamy brown liquid. “Chris was at the club last night…”

“I don’t suppose he was his normal, charming self?”

She scrunched up her nose, fighting back tears.

“Aurora? What happened?” he asked.

She sniffled. “He was just…he just showed his true colors last night.”

“Did he hurt you?” Loki asked.

“God no. He just embarrassed me in front of everyone.” she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. Seeing the black smear of eyeliner on the back of her hand, she looked up at Loki wide-eyed. “OMIGOD.” she stood and walked to the small mirror on the wall.

“I look like an EMO Goth!” she wailed.

“A what?” Loki asked.

“I look horrible…I need a shower.” she said.

“You look beautiful.” he said.

She looked at him, horrified with her appearance, and laughed. “Thanks…but I absolutely need a shower.” she tipped back the mug and gulped the remaining coffee.

Loki watched, amused, as she walked up to her bathroom.

OoOoOoOo

After her shower, she found herself with her hair wrapped in a towel sipping another cup of coffee on the couch with Loki, watching television.

“Feeling better?” he asked.

She tucked her legs under her and breathed in the scent of the coffee. “The room isn’t spinning anymore. It’s a start.” she took a sip, licking her lips. “What are we watching?”

“Uhhh…” he hit the info button on the remote. “Insidious. Have you seen it?” he asked.

“No. Ooohh but it has Patrick Wilson in it…” she set the mug down and began to dry her hair with the towel.

Loki stretched his arms behind his head and propped his legs up on the ottoman.

An hour into the movie, Aurora let out a screech as the demon’s face flashed across the screen.

Loki laughed. “Are you quite alright?”

She removed her hands from her mouth and smiled. “That scared me to death…I don’t think I can watch it anymore.”

“Oh but it was just getting good!” Loki protested.

The phone rang.

“I’ll get it!” Aurora said, jumping up. She crawled over the back of the couch and hurried into the kitchen.

A few minutes passed and Loki glanced over the back of the couch. “Everything alright?” he asked.

Aurora returned to the living room, the phone still in her hand. “That was Stacy…she wanted to invite us to go with her and Emm to the beach tomorrow.”

“The beach?”

Aurora sat back on the couch and faced him. “Yeah. Have you ever been?”

He looked down at his hands and smiled faintly. “No. I can’t say that I have.”

“Wow. Well I’m sure you will love it. Swimming will be some good exercise for your leg too.” she said.

“I’m always up for a little adventure.” he smiled.

“Good. Because she is picking us up at seven.”

“Tonight?”

“In the morning. It will be good to get you out and around other people.” she said.

“I don’t know. I seem to have lost my charm with people lately.” he said.

Aurora stood and stretched. “Trust me. You haven’t.” she patted his arm. “I’m getting some ice cream, would you like some?”

He stood and followed her into the kitchen. “Of course.”

OoOoOoOo

“I believe they’re here.” Loki said, pouring her cup of coffee.

Aurora smiled and took the cup, sipping it. “Thank you…” The doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.” he said. He walked to the door, coffee in hand and opened it. “Good morning ladies.”

He wore a pair of khaki shorts with a dark green t-shirt. His hair was slicked back and still wet from the shower. His goatee was freshly trimmed.

Emm and Stacy stood, gawking at him behind their large sunglasses. “Mr. Green?”

He extended his hand. “Loki, actually.” Emm stared at him but Stacy quickly took his hand.

“Stacy. And this is Emm.” she smacked Emm’s arm.

Emm blushed and smiled. “Emily, actually.”

Aurora peered over his shoulder and smiled. “Guys, come on in!” she said, leaning her arm against Loki’s shoulder. The two women ushered into the house and into the livingroom.

“Wow…you sure look better than the last time I saw you.” Stacy said, widening her eyes at Aurora who rolled her own.

Loki laughed. “Coffee?” he asked.

“I’ll have some!” Emm said, a bit too quickly.

“Stacy?” he asked.

Stacy grinned wide. “Sure, Loki.”

Once he was in the kitchen, Emm and Stacy turned on Aurora.

“Aurie!” Emm hissed.

“He’s beautiful. You never said he was beautiful.” Stacy whispered.

Emm‘s brown eyes sparkled. “He’s beautiful and charming! And that accent…he’s like a prince-”

Stacy smirked. “I bet he’s even more charming between the sheets-”

Aurora choked on her coffee. “Are you insane? I’m not sleeping with him!” she whispered.

“Riiiggghhhttt.”

“Oh you‘re so lucky Aurie….” Emm gushed, bouncing from foot to foot.

“Emm. No.” Aurora felt the heat rising in her face.

Emm stopped bouncing and Stacy smiled, leaning into her. “She’s blushing.”
Emm laughed.

“Right. Here we are…” Loki entered, carrying two cups of coffee.

“Aurie…you trained him well…” Stacy said, taking one of the cups.

Aurora punched Stacy in the upper arm.

“Did I miss something?” Loki asked, handing Emm her cup.

“Nothing at all. Are we ready?” Aurora asked.

OoOoOoOo

“We’re almost there!” Emm cried over the roar of the wind, stretching her arms towards the sky. Stacy drove her black jeep, the top opened, music blaring. Emm sat up front, Loki and Aurora were seated in the back.

Loki laughed at the girl, relishing in the cool breeze. Aurora watched the scenery pass by in a blur, holding her hair with her left hand. She leaned her head back and stared at the bright blue sky.

“Aurie!” Emm screamed.

“Crank it up!!” Aurora yelled.

Stacy turned the volume on the radio up.

“OO-EE-OO I LOOK JUST LIKE BUDDY HOLLY OH OH AND YOU’RE MARY TYLER MOORE!!” The three girls sang.

Loki smiled and shook his head. He was very amused by their singing, and had been so for the past two hours they had been singing. He never knew life could be so care free. All he had ever known was the proper and strict life of an Asgardian Prince.

All of that seemed like another lifetime as he watched them singing and swaying in their seats. He glanced at Aurora and his breath caught in his throat. She was watching him, a smile on her face as she sang the lyrics of the song, her blonde hair whipping wildly around her face.

He smiled at her and was intrigued to see the blush creep onto her face.

“We’re here!” Stacy shouted, bringing the car to a stop.

Emm was out of the car and bounding out onto the beach with Stacy in tow. Aurora was stepping out of the car when Loki appeared in front of her, his hand outstretched.

She took it, allowing him to help her out of the jeep. “Thanks.” she smiled, lifting her beach bag onto her shoulder. Together they followed Stacy and Emm’s tracks.

He was in awe of the beauty of the landscape before him. The sand beneath his feet was soft and warm. The dull roar of the ocean and it’s salty scent filled his senses. The sun was shinning, brightly reflecting off the water. The large cliffs loomed overhead, casting cool shadows over parts of the beach.

“What do you think?” Aurora asked.

“I have…no words. It reminds me of home.” he said, squinting in the sunlight.

“You mean Asgard?” she asked.

He chuckled. “Yes. I wish you could see it.” he said.

She handed him a pair of black Ray Ban sunglasses. “They were Chris’.”

He took them and put them on. “Really makes a difference…” he said, smiling. Thank you Aurora…”

She smiled and looked up at him. “You’re welcome.”

He looked down at her. “I mean for everything. You didn’t know me…and you still helped me. You’re unlike any woman I’ve ever met…” he said, tilting her chin up.

“Why would you do it?” he asked. “All for a stranger…”

Aurora swallowed the lump in her throat. “I don’t know why…I acted on instinct.”

He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers in a soft kiss. Aurora felt herself go slightly limp as he wrapped his arms around her. The kiss was sweet, and sent a chill down to her toes. His hands were gentle, one staying on her lower back, the other weaving into her wavy hair. The world around her seemed to stop as his warmth enveloped her.

And then it was gone, as suddenly as it began. Loki pulled away, breaking the kiss. Her lips mourned the departure of his own.

“Why did you do that?” she whispered, opening her eyes.

“I acted on instinct…” he replied, tucking a wild strand of hair behind her ear. “I believe your friends are waiting for us…”

She gave a visible start. “Oh crap, yeah…”

They began to round one of the massive rock formations on the beach, leading to where her friends were waiting. Stacy and Emm were chatting animatedly with a group of people.

“AURIE!!” Emm waved her arms, signaling them to hurry.

One of the men turned. He had black hair, a scruffy beard and a beautiful bronzed body.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Aurora said.

Chris turned, facing them with a broad smile and waved.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENTS!! I Love 'em!!