To Roam Into the Unknown

Friends

Aurora breezed past Chris without a word.

“Are those my glasses?” he asked, looking at Loki.

Aurora said nothing as she grabbed Stacy by her arm and pulled her away from the group.

“Aurie what the hell?” she asked.

“You didn’t tell me Chris was going to be here!” Aurora hissed. Watching her friend’s expression change to guilt, she scoffed. “You knew he was going to be here!” she accused.

“Yeah, but I knew you wouldn’t come if you knew he would be here and I really wanted you to come with us! I miss you!” Stacy said.

As much as she didn’t want to admit it, she couldn’t stay mad at her. “Ugh. Whatever. Next time give me a heads up dammit.” she said, a small smile playing at her lips.

Stacy smiled and threw her arms around her neck. “No worries today Aurie. Just fun.” she said.

“Yeah yeah ok.” Aurora said, making her way back to the group.

Loki was chatting with Emm and Mike, both of whom appeared to be smitten. Aurora rolled her eyes and set her bag in the sand. She set out her beach chair and began to dig a hole for the umbrella.

Chris walked up, standing indecently close behind her. “Nice to see you out and about.” he said, making it obvious that he was checking her out.

“I’m not doing this with you, Chris.” she snapped, scooping out the sand.

“Doing what? We’re just talking. I am generally glad to see you out, even if you brought your pet with you.” he said.

She stood up straight and turned to face him. “What bothers you more, Chris? That he’s here or that he’s here with me?”

“Oh so it’s like that? You move on quickly.” Chris said with a smirk.

She narrowed her eyes and was about to retort when Loki intervened. “Aurora, are you alright?” he asked, looking at Chris.

“Fine.” she said through gritted teeth.

Chris extended his hand. “I don’t believe we have been properly introduced-”

“I know who you are.” Loki snapped.

“Good. Don’t forget it.” Chris replied haughtily. “Nice glasses.” The two men stared at one another, neither one willing to back down.

Stacy appeared by Chris and hopped onto his back. “Get me a drink.” she said. Chris smiled and retreated, carrying her on his back.

“What a dick!” Aurora said loudly, tossing the small shovel to the ground. She began to shove the umbrella into the anchor in the sand. Loki helped her open it and lock it in place.

“What was that about?” he asked.

“He’s just trying to be the alpha male. I’m over it.” She kicked off her flip flops and pulled her shirt over her head.

Loki was helpless to look away, watching as she stepped out of the white denim shorts. She wore a bright red and white polka dot bikini whose top was sweetheart cut and tied around her neck. She began to rub her legs down with sunscreen. She rubbed her thighs and stomach with the lotion.

Loki was so enthralled with her that he didn’t see Mike walk up beside him. “Offer to rub some on her back and shoulders!” he whispered, nudging him with his shoulder.

Loki turned in question, but Mike had already retreated to his own towel with his partner Jake. He turned back to Aurora. “Would you like me to rub some on your back?” he asked, feeling awkward.

“Yes, please! I always wind up with sunburn on my back and shoulders.” she said, turning her back to him.

He cleared his throat and began to rub the lotion onto her bare back and shoulders. She stood with her hands on her hips, staring down at the sand. His hands were strong as they worked the lotion into her skin. She couldn’t stop the small groan that escaped her lips. Embarrassed, she began to cough.

“Get a room!” Chris yelled.

Loki stopped rubbing her shoulders. Aurora turned. “Ignore him.” she said, laying a hand on his arm. “You’re really good with your hands.” she said, attempting to engage in conversation.

“That’s what she said!” Mike said as he walked past with Jake.

Aurora laughed. Loki smiled. “What did she say? Who is she?” he asked.

“It’s just a stupid phrase, ignore him too!” she said, glaring at Mike. “You want to go for a swim?” she asked.

Not giving him a chance to answer, she sauntered off towards the blue water. He watched her walking to the water, jerked out of his daze when Stacy and Emm ran after her squealing. He was just going to sit and watch until he saw Chris run past him in a blur. He pulled his shirt off and made his way to the water.

“Come on Mr. Green! Get your hair wet!” Emm cried.

He waded through the waves to where the group stood on a sand bar. Emm splashed him playfully and he smiled at her. This was like nothing he had ever experienced before.

As children, he and Thor would accompany their parents yearly to the waterside of Asgard. But never were they allowed to get in the water. The visits to the seaside became less and less as they were encouraged to focus on their studies and skills and were groomed to become future rulers of the 9 Realms.

Again he was jolted from his thoughts as he heard Aurora’s high pitched scream. He turned in time to see Chris lifting her into the air.

“Chris stop! Put me down!” she cried angrily.

“We’re only having fun! Just like old times!” Stacy said, splashing her.

Loki waded over to them and gave Chris a hard shove. “Let her go.” he ordered.

Chris dropped her into the water and bucked up to him. “What’s your problem guy?”

“She obviously doesn’t want you touching her-”

“Oh but that wasn’t always the case now was it Aurora?” Chris asked her, staring at Loki.

“Seriously?! Can’t we just have fun today?” Mike asked, stepping between them. Loki scowled and swam to Aurora.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“Yeah. I’m going for a walk.” She said, swimming to the shore. Loki followed, ignoring Emm’s calls for him to swim with her.

Aurora pulled her hair back and wrung it out as she started down the nearly empty beach away from her friends. Loki fell into step beside her and they walked together in silence.

He watched her as she strolled through the sand, stopping occasionally to pick up a seashell. He’d never noticed before but she had the markings of a vine twisted into three points on her right shoulder.

“I really did just want to have a nice, fun day without any bullshit.” she finally said, looking at a shell and then discarding it.

“Well the day is young and there is still fun to be had.” He replied. They rounded a large rock formation. The waves broke around their edges, spraying them with salty water.

“This might sound crazy, but I would be content sitting at home watching a movie with you.”

The comment filled him with joy and he couldn’t suppress a broad grin. “I will take that as a compliment.” he said, shoving his hands in the pockets of his swim trunks.

“You should. I have gotten incredibly used to your company.” she said, glancing sideways at him. “You look shocked.”

“Truth be told, I am.” he replied, stepping up onto one of the rocks. He stared out at the ocean before turning his gaze on her. “I was not very liked in Asgard. I wasn’t treated cruelly due to my status, but I was not treated like everyone else. I was a subtle outcast.”

Aurora looked up at him, shielding her eyes from the sun. “Your status? What were you? Royalty or something?”

He smiled. “Or something.” He followed the jagged rock out over the water, Aurora following on the sand. “It is natural for people to fear what they do not know. And no one cared enough to get to know me.”

“What made you think people were afraid of you?” she asked.

“Fear is the basis of all conflict.” he said.

She smiled up at him. “So what you are saying is that Chris must be afraid of you, otherwise he wouldn’t try to instigate things.”

He chuckled and extended his hand. “I love the way you twist my words.” he said. With a hard tug, she was pulled onto the rock. Her flip flop caught a uneven edge and she tripped, her face smashing against his chest.

He helped her gain her balance, keeping his hands on her arms for stability. She looked up at him. “Well at least I made you smile.”

“You always make me smile.” he said. “And that is something of a rare thing for me.”

“I find that so hard to believe, Loki.”

The way she said his name sent a chill through him. “I love that you aren’t afraid of me…” he whispered.

“Should I be?” she asked.

He grinned and slid his hands up to her face, pulling her into a gentle kiss. She stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Her mouth opened slightly, inviting him in. Accepting the invitation, he deepened the kiss, his tongue finding hers. His hands trailed down the sides of her body, resting on her hips. Her fingertips played with the hair at the base of his head. He pulled her tighter to him, feeling her curves flush with his body gave rise to a more fierce wave of passion. He slid his hands up her back and grabbed a fistful of her hair, pulling her head back. A small moan escaped her lips as he trailed his own down her throat.

“Aurora!!” at hearing the calls of her friends, she jerked her head in their direction, breaking their kiss.

She sighed. “I think we’re being missed.” she said.

Loki climbed off the rock and lifted her gently to the ground, just as Mike and Emm rounded the corner.

A large grin spread over Mike’s face and he nudged Emm with his elbow. “I think Mr. Green might just be taken.” he said.

Emm gave him a reproving glare. “We were just worried about you. Are you alright?” she asked.

Aurora smiled and walked over to them. “I’m fine. Thanks.”

Loki fell into step beside Mike, behind the two girls. Feeling eyes on him, he turned to see Mike smiling broadly at him. Mike gave him a wink and nodded his head towards Aurora.

Loki arched a brow and suppressed a laugh, clapping him on the shoulder.

“Come on. I’m going to introduce you to the rest of the guys.” Mike said, throwing an arm around Loki’s shoulders.

Stacy waved them over to where she stood with Chris and Jake by the grill. Aurora glanced to the side and saw Emm smiling at her.

“What?” she asked, suddenly feeling self conscious.

“I think you two are cute together.” Emm said.

Aurora felt her face flush. “What? We aren’t-”

“Girl please. I could hear you two kissing from a mile away! And weather the two of you are together or not, the way he looks at you…” she made a clucking sound with her tongue. “He’s with you even if you aren’t with him.”

“You’re not mad?”

“Why would I be mad?”

Aurora shrugged. “I could tell you liked him…and I didn‘t exactly get the best response when I took him in.”

“Well, it was crazy of you to take him in like that. He could have been a psychopath. Fortunately for you, he’s gorgeous. None of us saw that curveball coming. It’s in my DNA to flirt with cute men. But I would claim him before Mike does…” Emm replied.

Aurora turned. Mike stood with his arm still around Loki’s shoulders, introducing him to the other people. She laughed out loud when Mike openly checked out Loki’s ass as he bent to get a beer from the cooler.

She and Emm cried out with fervor as the radio was cranked up, blaring the lyrics to Nicki Minaj’s Massive Attack. Instantly she and Emm threw their hands up in the air and danced their way to Stacy.

Loki looked over at the trio and watched them dancing together. There were no words for the way they moved. Emm faced Aurora whose back was against Stacy’s front.

“AWW YEAH! It’s the sexy sandwich!!” Chris yelled. He and another man who he recognized as Sam Jensen, the physical therapist, clinked their beers together and began dancing with them.

“Loki, this is Jake, my boyfriend.” Mike said.

Loki extended his hand, gripping Jake’s in a firm shake as he had seen mortals do in the past.

“So you are the mysterious Mr. Green. Mike has told me about your miraculous recovery. You seem to be healing quite well.” Jake said, his eyes traveling over his body.

“Which would not have been possible without Aurora’s help, of course.” Loki replied.

“Oh Michael, and he’s British!” Jake said with a flirty smirk. Loki smiled at the comment, not knowing how to respond.

“Did you know Aurora before your accident?” Mike asked.

Loki shook his head. “I knew her voice from my dreams.”

Jake clutched his chest and poked out his bottom lip. “That is so romantic…”

“Right up until he tried to kill me.” Mike said.

“Yes…um, sorry about that.” Loki said, scratching the back of his head.

Mike laughed. “Don’t worry about it! That isn’t the worst thing that has happened to me.”

“So what’s going on with you and Aurora?” Jake asked.

“I think she is a wonderful woman. She’s very caring and funny…and beautiful. I’m very lucky to have fallen into her lap.” Loki answered.

“That’s lovely…but what is going on with you two?”

Loki watched over his shoulder as Aurora and Sam danced together. “I don‘t follow…” he said, brow furrowed.

“Something made Aurora risk her job and herself to make sure you got the care you needed.” Mike said.

Loki smiled and shook his head. “I was just as shocked by her actions as everyone else. I am so utterly undeserving of her attention…”

“We all love her. We’ve known each other for years. She’s like family.” Jake said.

“What Jake means is, if you hurt her in any way, I will kick your ass. I really like you Loki, so I would hate to kick you ass, but I will do it.” Mike said.

Loki smiled. “I wouldn’t expect anything less. And I assure you, no harm will ever come to her by my hand.”

“I can tell we’re going to be great friends.” Jake said, holding up his beer. Mike and Loki clinked their beers with his.

Loki smiled, taking a swig. He’d never truly had friends, as Thor‘s friends merely tolerated him. He felt a soft warmth at the thought of finally acquiring some of his own.

OoOoOoOo


“Tonight we’re the sea and the salty breeze…”

Aurora sat beside Loki, resting her head on his shoulder and listening to the soft crooning of Iron and Wine on the radio. She’d had just enough alcohol and could feel its warmth numbing her body. The rest of the day had been pleasant. Chris hadn’t given her or Loki anymore trouble. Loki seemed to have bonded with Jake and Mike and was chatting animatedly with them about medicine.

As the sun set, the group set up a bonfire. All the beach chairs and towels had long since been packed up and they all sat around the fire talking about everything from movies to the latest in politics.

Chris sat across from her. Every now and then he would whisper into Stacy’s ear and she would giggle.

“Where are you from, Loki?” Emm asked.

“Asgard.” When met with curious stares, he cleared his throat. “It’s erm…in the British Isles.” he said.

Jake nudged Mike. “Told you he was British.”

“How did you wind up here?” Stacy asked.

“Truth be told, I don’t remember. It’s as if one day I woke up here.” he replied.

Chris rolled his eyes and threw his arm around Stacy’s shoulders.

“Does your family live here?” Emm asked.

Aurora could feel him tense slightly at the question. Loki looked down at the beer bottle in his hands.

“No. We’re not on the best of terms at the moment.”

“So what happened the night you were brought into the hospital?” Jake asked.

Mike shot him an incredulous look. “Jake! You can’t just ask people questions like that!”

Loki chuckled. “It’s alright…I had a bit too much to drink and stepped out in front of a car.” he looked around at everyone. “At least that’s what she tells me.” he nodded his head towards Aurora.

“It looks like she is out for the night.” Mike said.

Stacy yawned and stretched. “We should probably go anyways. It’s going to be after midnight before we get home.”

Loki gently nudged Aurora. “My dear…wake up.” he whispered.

Aurora’s eyes fluttered open. “I wasn’t asleep…” she yawned.

OoOoOoOo


“I’m in love with your honor…I’m in love with your cheeks…” The soft lyrics of Bon Iver’s Blood Bank played softly over the radio, casting a calm spell over the four occupants. Emm snoozed, curled up uncomfortably in the front seat.

Aurora rested her head on Loki’s shoulder as she dozed off. He had an arm wrapped around her protectively, resting his face on her head. Her hair was soft and smelled of coconuts. He closed his eyes as the soft music lulled him. Her breaths fell across his chest in soft, hot puffs.

It was in this moment that he could see Thor’s reasoning in wanting to return for his Jane. Loki had never really cared for anyone in a romantic sense. But he was sure this was what it felt like. She was warmth when it was cold, light where there was only once darkness. He felt a strong urge to protect her and care for her at any and all costs.

He also felt a pang of regret. How he would have loved to have introduced her to his family. His mother would have been overjoyed and would have immediately called for a feast. Thor no doubt would try to work his charm…or at least the old Thor would. He missed his family, for that is what they were. And he realized this. They were not the one’s who abandoned him at birth. They did not leave him to die in the frozen wastelands of Jotunheim. His situation had been his own doing. And his mother had always taught him to make the best out of a dire situation, and he was doing just that.

“This is your stop guys…” Stacy said. “Hey.” she reached back and shook Aurora.

“We’re home.” Loki said, brushing her hair back.

“Just get her inside. I’ll drop off the stuff tomorrow after work.” Stacy said.

Loki stepped out of the car and lifted Aurora into his arms.

“Have a goodnight you two.” Stacy said, winking at Loki.

“Thank you for everything Stacy. Safe travels.” he said. She waved and drove off.

His leg began to throb painfully, reminding him that he hadn’t fully healed. He sighed and made his way to the house, where he came to a dilemma. The door was locked and he had no key.

“Aurora…I need to put you down…” he said.

She groaned. He set her down on her feet and retrieved the key from her bag. Unlocking the door, her ushered her inside.

She made her way towards his room, collapsing on the bed. He followed her, stopping in the doorway to admire her. The moonlight shown through the blinds, casting an ethereal white glow about her.

He covered her with the blankets and turned to make his exit when her hand shot out and grabbed his.

“Don’t leave…” she whispered.

He stared down at her as her eyes fluttered closed once more. He closed the bedroom door and carefully climbed into bed next to her. Aurora turned on her side and snuggled up to him, snoring softly.

He smiled in the darkness and wrapped an arm around her before succumbing to sleep as well.