To Roam Into the Unknown

Travel Plans

Aurora shoved Loki behind her and opened the door. “Come in, please!” she said.

He exhaled through his nose and entered, closing the door behind him.

Loki extended his hand. “Mr. Moreau, a pleasure to finally meet you.”

Her father looked at his hand deploringly, but shook it nonetheless. “And you are?”

It was apparent that her father had no idea who he was, and the realization didn’t sit well with him.

“Daddy, this is my friend Loki.” she said. “Loki, this is my father, Olivier Moreau.”

Aurora turned, her wide eyes making contact with Loki’s as she hurried into the living room, grabbing up their discarded undergarments. “I didn’t know you were coming to town!” she called, tossing the clothes into Loki’s room and shutting the door quickly. She hurriedly stepped into a pair of shorts she found lying on the couch.

“I know. I came once I got the call from Richard about the unfortunate circumstances of your employment termination.” he replied, looking around the house.

Aurora sighed and stood against the wall between the foyer and living room. “What did Snyder tell you?”

Olivier pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “The question is, Aurora, what didn’t he tell me?” he asked, glancing at Loki.

Loki took the hint and cleared his throat. “Pardon me, Aurora, I believe I will go for that run now…” he said.

Aurora nodded and watched as he walked out the back door.

“Is that the man?” Olivier asked.

She crossed her arms over her chest. “You know he is. Three years since I last saw you and this is what brings you out here?”

“Don’t change the subject. What are you thinking, Aurora? Taking in a complete stranger? I taught you better than that.”

“He’s not a stranger, daddy. You taught me to be compassionate.”

“You don’t know anything about him-”

“And neither do you. Dad, he isn’t some psychopathic murderer. He is a very nice person. And he cares about me.”

Olivier scrunched up his face in disgust. “He cares about your money!” he hissed.

Aurora’s hands fell to her sides and she stormed into the kitchen. “You have no right to say that!”

“Why not? You are a successful young woman, living alone I might add.” he replied, following her.

“I know well how to take care of myself. Loki would never hurt me.” she said, staring out the kitchen window.

“How do you know that? Exactly how much do you know about him?” he asked, pressing his hands flat against the marble countertop.

“I know all I need to know. He really is a good person. You would know this if you would just give him a chance.”

Olivier sighed and rubbed his face.

“Did you honestly fly all the way out here to fight with me?” she asked, turning to face him.

“Of course not, Aurora. You know all I’ve ever wanted was for you to be happy.” he replied.

She smiled, fighting back tears. “Then know that he makes me happy, daddy. Give him a chance and stop wondering about my judgment, please?” she asked, stepping towards him.

He stared at her for a long moment, absorbing her words. “You understand, its in my nature as your father to worry. It will never stop.”

She smiled and threw her arms around his neck. “Thank you daddy.”

He smiled and pulled away, looking at her. “You look thin.”

She rolled her eyes. “It’s not from lack of food, I promise.” The doorbell rang. “Speaking of which…” She retrieved her wallet and hurried to the door, returning shortly with two bags of food. “Have you eaten?”

“Maybe just some coffee. I have been having some issues with indigestion lately, so I’ve been watching what I eat, but thank you, sweetheart.”

Aurora pulled a mug down from the cabinet and started a fresh pot of coffee.

“I’ve been thinking, Aurora.”

She poured the coffee in the mug. “About…?”

“I think it would do you some good to come back home for a while.”

She paused, mid-pour, looking up at him. “Home?”

“Think of it as a long over due visit to you old father.”

“I don’t know dad…”

“Loki can come too, I suppose.”

Aurora smiled and slid him his cup. “When do we leave?”

OoOoOoOo


Loki returned a few hours later. He could hear music playing loudly from Aurora’s room.

“Aurora?” he called. He laid his key on the small table in the foyer and started up the stairs.

“What becomes of me
When you stop listening?
Do I disappear into the silence?
Or return from the void with brand new life?”


He walked up the stairs. “Aurora?”

She sat on the plush loveseat facing the harbor. The glass doors were open and the cool breeze blew through the curtains gently.

He stopped behind her and rested a hand on her shoulder. She reached up and squeezed his hand, still watching the water.

“Is everything alright?” he asked. She looked up at him and smiled.

“I think so.” She patted the seat next to her. “Come sit by me.”

He sat next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “Did your father leave?” he asked, resting his chin on her head.

“Yeah. Just left a few minutes ago.”

“That was a short visit, are you sure you are alright?”

Aurora sighed. “He wants me to go back home.”

“That doesn’t sound entirely unreasonable.” he replied.

“He didn’t say outright, but he wants me to move back to New York. This happens every year or so. I’ll go to visit, and he will spend the entire time trying to convince me to stay.” she said.

The thought of her not returning caused his chest to constrict. “Are you going to stay? In New York?” he asked, swallowing the lump in this throat.

“Would you come with me if I did?” she asked.

“Aurora…” he shifted to face her. “Wherever you go, I will follow. There is no need to ask.”

She smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing her cheek against his. “That’s all I wanted to hear…” she said quietly.

He could feel her body relax against his a when he wrapped his arms around her. He eased himself against the arm of the sofa, allowing her to rest on top oh him. “You we worried about my response?” Is that what had you so uneasy?”

“It was. I was torn between seeing my father and leaving you behind. Most guys freak out at the notion of moving in with their girlfriend.” she said.

He chuckled, tracing his fingers up and down her arm. “I would think you would realize by now that I am unlike most men. Besides, I have no ties to this place. There is nothing here for me if you leave.”

“Good…because we have a plane to catch tomorrow evening. Have you ever been to New York?” she responded, sleepily.

He kissed her head, watching the boats on the harbor. Storm clouds were gathering on the horizon. “Once…” he said quietly.

It had been some time since he had thought of New York. It made his stomach turn to think of the events that occurred there at his hand. He had been a man possessed with rage and blinded by jealousy. It had seemed like the perfect plan, with the perfect army to aid him.

Being imprisoned aboard the helicarrier, reigning terror down on the people of the great city. Those memories felt as if they belonged to a stranger. He had been delusional. And now he felt shame. Shame for his actions, shame that he had taken innocent lives and shame at the way he had treated his family.

He sighed and nudged her gently, standing up. “Come. We have much to do if we are to catch that flight of yours….starting with a bath.” he said slyly.

Aurora looked up at him and smiled, allowing him to lead her to her bathroom.

OoOoOoOo


She closed her eyes as his lips trailed over her damp shoulder. The water was steaming, allowing her muscles to relax. She thought about her father and his numerous attempts in the past to coax her into moving back to the home of her childhood. She had to admit, the more she though about it, the more excited she got. But she also worried about her father and how he would behave around Loki. She laid her head back against his chest.

“What are you thinking?” he whispered, setting his beer down on the table next to the oversized tub.

She sighed. “Truthfully? My father. He can be very direct at times. I just hope you don’t take offense to anything he says. I haven’t been home in ten years. When mom died I-” she felt her throat tighten as tears threatened.

Loki wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck. “Shh my beauty. All will be well.” he said.

She held her hands out before her and groaned. “I’m all wrinkled…I think we should get out…” she said.

He grinned and slid both of his hands up to cup her breasts. “I do believe you are right…”

OoOoOoOo


Loki woke the next morning, Aurora’s golden hair spread out over his bare chest as she slept peacefully.

“Aurora…” he whispered, wrapping an arm around her.

She stirred gently, rolling onto her back. He rolled onto his side and propped himself up on his elbow. Her eyes opened and he smiled as she blinked repeatedly, trying to focus on him.

“We have much to do today…” he said quietly.

“I know…” she whispered. He looked down at her, brushing her hair out of her face. She reached up and took his face in her hands. “Starving…” she said.

Loki chuckled and peeled the blankets back. “I will return shortly.”

Aurora watched as he disappeared, entirely nude, into the kitchen. She heard the refrigerator doors open and shut. Then the water running from the faucet. Cabinets and drawers opening and closing, glassed clinking. The aroma of coffee soon filled the air.

Aurora sat up, eager as Loki returned with two cups of steaming coffee.

“One moment..” he said, handing her the cups and rushing back out to the kitchen. He hurried back carrying bagels with cream cheese and a small bowl of fruit.

She smiled as he climbed back into bed and set the tray in front of them. “No one’s ever made me breakfast in bed before!” she gushed, handing him his coffee.

He laughed, taking bite of his bagel.

OoOoOoOo


The next few hours were spent with Loki helping Aurora pack her things. His few belongings and acquired clothing (so graciously donated by Chris) had fit into one small black suitcase.

“How long are we staying, exactly?” he asked, zipping her third suitcase.

She entered her room carrying an arm full of makeup and blew a stray strand of hair out of her face. “I don’t know. Maybe a week or two. It’s not like I have to work or anything.” she replied, glancing at the clock. “Shit…the cab will be here soon.”

“Relax dearest.” Loki lifted a suitcase in each hand, kissing her lips as he passed her. “Review your list once more before we leave and be sure you have all you need.” he said, making his way down the stairs.

Aurora looked down at her list. “Did we get my hairdryer?” she called.

“It’s in your red case.” He replied, marching back up the steps.

She chewed her bottom lip. “What about my blue shirt with the red-”

“Flowers. It’s in the black case. Along with your red shirt with the black stripes and your black shoes.” he said, picking up her white suitcase.

Aurora followed him down the stairs and gasped. “Oh my God I forgot about Jinxy!”

Loki set the suitcase down and looked at her. “The cat, of course.” At that precise moment came the unmistakable sound of the cab’s horn.

“Shit!” Aurora began to panic.

Loki grabbed their jackets. “Calm down, Aurora.”

“I can’t leave her for God knows how long without food or water!” she cried.

“Why not call Emm or Stacy? Maybe one of them could stop by and check on her.”

Aurora groaned and began to dial on her cell phone.

“I’ll take the bags out.” he said, opening the door.

OoOoOoOo


“We’re definitely going to be lucky if we make it.” Loki replied, following her through the crowd.

“Relax. My dad owns the plane. They’ll hold it.” Aurora huffed, weaving her way through the people.

“…water just broke!”

Aurora whirled around at the remark. A woman about her age with long black hair stood with her hands on her swollen belly. The large man standing next to her ran his hands through his hair.

“Aurora-” Loki tugged on her hand.

“Wait a second…” Aurora shoved her bag into his hands and shooed him away with her hand. “Excuse me…” she walked up to the couple. “Did I just hear you correctly?”

The man’s icy gaze turned on her. The woman looked up, forcing a smile. “If you heard me say my water just broke, then yes.” she replied, taking in a deep breath.

Loki watched awkwardly as nurse Aurora re-emerged.

Aurora felt her adrenaline kick in. “How far apart are your contractions?”

The woman winced. “Every five minutes for at least 30 seconds.”

Aurora immediately realized the urgency of the situation. “How far along are you?” she asked.

The woman and her partner looked at her. Aurora smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry…My name’s Aurora Moreau. I’m a nurse.”

The woman’s eyes flicked towards Loki. “This is Loki.” Aurora said, gently resting her hand on the woman’s stomach.

The woman exhaled. “I’m…37 weeks…” she grasped her stomach and sucked in a deep breath as her knees buckled. The man caught her and eased her to the ground, cradling her in his oversized arms.

“That was a strong one…” Aurora replied, glancing up at Loki.

The woman gritted her teeth and clutched at her stomach again. “I think we need to call 911...” she whispered.

Aurora glanced over her shoulder at Loki. “Loki, take my cell phone and call 911.”

Without hesitation, and not wishing to look a fool in front of them, he pulled her phone out of her bag and punched in the numbers. He had seen enough from the many movies they had watched, to know what needed to be done. Hearing the dispatcher answer, he quickly gave the appropriate information. “Yes uhmm…we are located at the Bay Harbor International Airport…” he read the sign carefully as he spoke. “There is a woman in apparent labor…”

Flustered by the numerous questions the dispatcher asked, Loki shoved the phone into Aurora’s hands.

“Her water has broken…yes it’s clear fluid. Contractions are coming every 3 to 4 minutes…Your people will see us, we’re right past the main entrance…” she looked around. “At gate A33. Talk to my boyfriend please!” she snapped, shoving the phone back into Loki’s hands. “Stay on the phone with them and answer whatever questions they have.” she ordered.

Loki took the phone and began to speak with the dispatcher.

“Is she going to be alright?” the man asked, his icy stare melting into one full of concern.

Aurora smiled and nodded. “Your baby is on its way…”

“As are the paramedics.” Loki replied.

The woman looked up at her partner with fear. “Where are we going to go? We don’t have any-”

The man brushed her hair out of her face. “Shh…do not worry. I will take care of you.” he said quietly, a smile softening the hard edges of his face.

“But Bane…the baby…” she tried to argue, but he silenced her with a kiss, resting his cheek against her forehead.

“What’s your name?” Aurora asked.

The woman grimaced. “Isla Sloan…”

“Well Isla Sloan, try to calm yourself. I know it isn’t easy.” Aurora said looking up. A group of paramedics were rushing towards them. Loki reached out and pulled Aurora out of their way.

Isla reached out and snatched her hand. “Thank you both…” she said.

Aurora smiled down at her. “Good luck to you, Isla and Bane.”

OoOoOoOo


Loki was slightly astonished at the size of the plane as he followed Aurora up the stairs to the entrance.

“Haven’t you ever seen an airplane?” she asked, taking her seat.

“Not so closely, no. It’s quite large.” he said, sitting next to her.

She laughed. “I assure you it isn’t. There are much bigger planes out there than my father’s.”

“Your father owns this?” he asked

Aurora took a gulp of water and nodded. “One of many things.”

Loki watched as she looked out the window, tracing her bottom lip with her thumb.

“What are you thinking?” he asked, knowing full well the answer.

“I just hope everything goes well with Isla…” she responded.

“I’m sure it did. You saw yourself that help arrived.” he said.

Aurora nodded. “It must have been terrifying for both of them.”

Loki smiled. “For Isla, I’m sure. The other one however, he seemed as though nothing frightened him.”

“That is just a façade. Men act cold and tough to hide their fear.”

Loki laughed as a thought involuntarily popped into his head. “Then my father and brother must be terrified of everything, if you remark bears any truth.”

Aurora smirked. “You just wait until you have children of your own. You’ll see.”

Loki had never given the concept of children a second thought. There had never been anyone to even provoke such thoughts. “And what about yourself? Have you given any thought to children?” He watched with a smile as a subtle blush crept across her cheeks.

“I don’t know of any woman my age who hasn’t. I would love to have one or two…” she said, glancing over at Loki. “What about yourself?”

He sighed and folded his hands behind his head, closing his eyes. “In all honestly, I never gave them much thought. I never considered that I would find someone worth creating new life with.” he replied. “Of course, who is to say children aren’t in the cards for me? I should think I would make a worthy father…better than my own.” he said quietly. He opened his eyes to see Aurora watching him. “What is it?” he asked.

She reached over and took his hand in hers, smiling at him. “Nothing…”

The flight took just over five hours. Loki spent the majority of the time staring out at the clouds, thinking of days past. Aurora spent the last two hours of the flight, sleeping on his shoulder.

He shook her gently once he spotted land. “Aurora…”

She opened her eyes and looked at him.

“We are here…” he said. She tensed as the plane touched down.

She sighed, gripping his hand. “We are indeed.”