To Roam Into the Unknown

Bonding Time

“So, Loki…do you hunt?” Olivier asked.

Loki followed him down stairs and into a room full of different weapons mounted on the walls. “I’ve done so quite a few times. With my father and brother. Of course I was much younger then.”

“Pick your weapon.” Olivier said.

Loki slowly walked the walls, scanning each weapon. He stopped short when his eyes fell on a bow.

“You would choose the bow and arrow?” He asked, eyebrow arched.

“Why not?” Loki asked, pulling it down from its perch on the wall. He gripped it firmly and pulled the string back, closing one eye.

“It’s accuracy for one thing. And it’s not very quick on the reload. I’m more of a gun man, myself.”

Loki smiled and picked up an arrow. “Guns are too loud for hunting. All of the faults you find with the bow and arrow are but the faults of user. When properly used, the arrow will always make its mark. Without alerting the other prey, I might add.”

Olivier chuckled and pulled a rifle from the wall. “Well said. Now,” he rested the rifle over his shoulder. “Shall we begin?”

Loki looked over his shoulder and smiled. “Of course.”

OoOoOoOo


Some hours later, the sun was beginning to set as the two men made their way back. Loki could just make out movement on the horizon.

“I knew it wouldn’t be long before she got back on that horse.” Olivier said. “Do me a favor. Say nothing about what happened back there. I don’t want to worry her.”

Loki nodded.

Aurora rode up to them on the back of a white horse, a wide grin on her face. Her hair fell out of its braid in thin, golden wisps around her face, taking away Loki’s breath.

“Did you guys catch anything?” she asked, slightly out of breath.

Loki and Olivier glanced at each other briefly. “Actually darling, as it stands, I am a terrible shot.” Loki replied.

“There’s always tomorrow.” Aurora replied.

“Actually there isn’t. I think I’m going to put off hunting for a while. It will give me more time to spend with you, sweetheart.” Olivier replied.

Aurora looked slightly confused but smiled anyways.

“I see you have reunited with Bijou.” her father stated.

“You knew it would only be a matter of time. Might I steal Loki away from you?” she asked.

Olivier laughed. “He is your boyfriend, not mine. Go ahead. ” He clapped Loki on the shoulder. “I will see the two of you at eight for dinner. Tonight, we go out.”

They watched Olivier make his way back towards the large house. Once he was gone, Loki stepped up to the horse, rubbing its neck gently.

“I didn’t know you rode four-legged horses.” he said.

“I didn’t know you hunted.” she replied, smiling down at him. “How many legs are horses supposed to have?”

He chuckled. “It seems we still have things we don’t know about each other. Might I say, you are a vision on her.” he said, rubbing Aurora’s thigh.

“Hop up, I’ll give you a ride back to the house.” she said.

Loki looked up at her incredulously. “I beg you pardon?”

Aurora laughed and held out her hand. “Don’t be such a baby.”

Loki looked around, then back at her hand. After quick consideration, he took her hand and hoisted himself upon the horse’s back. “I do believe I should be in the front.” he said.

“Right.” she gripped the reigns. “Hold on.”

Loki barely had time to react before she nudged the horse with her heels, sending her into a gallop.

OoOoOoOo


Loki stood in the middle of a large garden, full of blooming flowers of all colors. After a moment, the location finally registered in his mind.

“Loki!” he turned at the sound of his name. His mother, her skirts gathered in her hands, ran towards him. In that moment, all was forgiven and he smiled, arms outstretched and ready to receive her. At the instant she entered his arms, his eyes closed-and shot open as she ran right through him.

He heard a child crying and turned, following her.

“Loki, dearest…let me see.” his mother cooed. She knelt before a two year old Loki who was sprawled out on the ground and sporting a scraped knee. His mother’s beautiful golden hair fell over her shoulder in an elegant braid. Her ruby colored lips pressed against his tear stained cheek as she scooped him into her arms, humming a soothing lullaby in his ear.

“You are too brave for your own good my little one.” she said, nudging his cheek with her nose.

“Mama…hurts…” little Loki pouted.

“It will heal. Let it serve as a lesson to listen to me in the future.” She kissed his cheek again. “You are so loved, little one. Never forget that.”

OoOoOoOo


Sighing, he turned his head and looked out the window. The bright morning sun shown through the blinds, casting a golden glow over him.

He stared at the ceiling, playing the memory over in his head. His heart ached at the thought of his mother and he wished more than anything to be able to see her again. He reached his arm out and clutched empty sheets. Aurora had snuck out in the early morning. He pushed back the blankets and walked into the bathroom.

OoOoOoOo


“Good morning.” Aurora said. She sat at the breakfast table, sipping a cup of coffee.

Loki ran his hand through his hair and leaned down to kiss her. “Good morning.” He took a seat before her and lifted the newspaper. “Good morning, Olivier.”

Olivier stood in the kitchen, whisking some eggs in a bowl. “Loki. I trust you slept well?”

He smiled to himself. “As matter of fact, I did.” Aurora glanced at him and smiled, taking another sip of coffee. Sometime after dinner, Aurora snuck into Loki’s room. They spent the majority of the night rolling around in the sheets, wrapped in each other’s arms, trying desperately to stay quiet.

“Well good. A lack of sleep is unhealthy.” Olivier replied, placing two plates full of food before them.

“Speaking of unhealthy, dad, when was the last time you saw Dr. Jones?” Aurora asked.

Olivier grabbed his plate and sat down at the table. “Harrison and I play golf every Thursday.” he bit into his eggs.

Aurora met Loki’s gaze. “Daddy you know what I mean. When is the last time you saw him as a patient?”

Charles, Olivier’s grounds keeper appeared. “Sir, the mail has arrived.” he handed him a stack of letters.

Olivier nodded his thanks. Once Charles had left, Olivier began flipping through the mail, well aware of Aurora’s stare. He pulled out a purple and black envelope. “I have an appointment with Dr. Jones next week. Here.” he passed her the envelope.

Aurora bit into a piece of toast and pulled out the contents. An invitation in the shape of a mask. “A night of Mischief…” she said, flipping it over. “We see a night of mischief in your future. Angel of Mercy’s tenth annual charity masquerade ball. Angel of Mercy Hospice invites you to come out for a night of elegance and mystery. All proceeds from this event will go to providing programs for adults and children in our shared community. Sounds fun. I didn’t think they were still doing this.” she said.

The theme of the event had definitely caught the attention of Loki.

“It’s tomorrow night.” Olivier said, wiping his mouth.

“Are you going?” Aurora asked.

“I had planned on it. I think it would be fun for all of us to go. One last event before you go back west. What do you think?” Olivier asked, glancing at Loki.

“I hardly packed for such an event. And I know Loki doesn’t have anything to wear.” Aurora replied.

“Then we will have to go to town and find something suitable. And I believe Loki could do with a decent suit or two. Might help him procure a decent job.” Olivier looked to Loki and smiled.

“Daddy-”

“No. It’s settled. We go to town this afternoon. We’ll take the jet.” Olivier pushed his chair back and stood. “I will see you in a bit. I have some business to tend to.” He kissed the top of Aurora’s head.

Once he was gone, Loki spoke up. “Why would we be taking your father’s plane into town?” he asked.

Aurora laughed. “Because going into town is his way of saying we’re going into the city. So I suppose I should go wash up.” She stood. “Are you coming?” she asked.

Loki nodded. “I will be up shortly.” he said. Watching her disappear up the stairs, his anxiety began to surface. He hadn’t been to New York City since his assault on the city some years before. He was suddenly aware of the very real possibility that some would recognize him and S.H.I.E.L.D. would descend on him immediately. He needed to figure out a way to get out of going. Grabbing the invitation, his plan to avoid the city was dashed to bits. The masquerade was being held at Gotham Hall in New York.

“Loki?” Aurora called.

Sighing, he tossed the invitation on the table and stood. “Coming sweetheart.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the short chapter. This is really just filler. More to come soon!