To Roam Into the Unknown

New York

“Are we going or what?” Aurora asked from the doorway.

Loki stood at the top of the stairs with Olivier.

“Give us a moment, would you Aurora? I need Loki’s help for a moment.” Olivier called.

“Just be nice daddy.” She said, closing the door behind her.

“She’s always so worried.” Olivier shook his head with a smile. “Loki, come with me for a moment. I have a few things to discuss with you.”

Loki suddenly felt nervous as he followed the older man to his study. Olivier walked to his large oak desk and unlocked his top drawer.

“Have a seat, Loki.” Olivier signaled to the leather chair in front of the desk.

Slowly, Loki lowered himself into the chair, balancing on the edge.

“Are you here illegally?” Olivier asked.

Loki’s brow furrowed. “I don’t understand your question.”

“Do you have any proof of your identity? A birth certificate or license?”

Loki shook his head slowly. “I do not.”

Olivier sighed and sat back in his chair. “Are you in this country for any type of illegal or malicious activity?”

“No. Absolutely not.”

“How did you end up here without a penny to your name if your family is so well off?”

Loki must have looked slightly taken aback because Olivier cleared his throat and added, “I hate to be so forward but as Aurora’s father these are things I need to know.”

Loki leaned back in his chair, choosing his words carefully. “I found out not long ago…that the family I had known all my life, was not my own. I was taken from my birthplace by my “father” and raised as if I were his own. All that I had ever known was a lie. I demanded answers that he was unwilling to give. I refused to take no for an answer and as punishment, he tricked me into coming here on business and left me here.”

Olivier stared at him and for a moment, Loki thought he didn’t believe the lie he’d spun-which wasn’t entirely a lie.

“As I’ve told you previously, I want Aurora happy. I want her to be taken care of. What I’m about to do goes beyond all reason.” He slid some papers across the desk. “Fill these out. I know someone who owes me a favor. He can get you the necessary identity documents. Also, keep this on you at all times.” he handed Loki a key. “That is a key to my safely deposit box. If anything should ever happen to me, this will endure Aurora is taken care of.” Olivier stood.

“I don’t understand.” Loki replied, tucking the key away in his pocket. Olivier laid a hand on his shoulder.

“I want her taken care of and I know you are the man to do that. She sees the good in you and that is enough for me.” Olivier handed him a small black box.

Loki opened the box, revealing an intricately carved ring with a diamond set in the middle. He knew enough of human culture to know what this gesture meant. He looked up at Olivier, unsure of what to think. Trust was still an issue with him.

“It belonged to Corinne.”

“Her mother, yes. Aurora told me about her. Its no easy thing losing ones parent. Even if the cause is natural.” Loki replied.

“Natural? Is that what she told you?” Olivier asked, his tone incredulous. Loki nodded and stood.

“She told me her mother died of cancer when she was twelve.” Loki replied, following him out into the hall.

“Cancer may have been a better fate for her. Her mother an I both worked in town. She and I were supposed to meet for lunch but I was running late. Then the first attack came.”

Loki felt his heart stop.

Olivier shook his head. “She never stood a chance. Aurora was eighteen when Corinne was killed. She went into a severe grief-induced psychosis. She moved back home and there were nights that she would wake up screaming. After a few years of treatment from councilors and psychiatrists she seemed to return back to her old self. They said she would deal with the grief in her own way. I suppose making herself believe Corinne died of cancer was her way of doing so.”

Loki was at a loss for words and his mind was chaos with emotion.

“DAD! LOKI! THE CAR IS HERE C’MON!!” Aurora yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

Olivier clapped Loki on his shoulder and smiled. “She bellows.”

Loki followed him with legs made of lead.

OoOoOoOo

“The two of you will stay at my Condo. There is no sense in making more than one trip to town.” Olivier said, helping Aurora out of the limo.

Loki, wearing his sunglasses, felt ill and wished for nothing more than to sleep. He stepped out of the Limo and stared up at the tall building before him.
Aurora looked back at him and smiled. “Loki?” she said.

He snapped out of it and smiled at her.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

He entwined his fingers with hers. “I am just tired. I will be fine.”

“Here. Get whatever you need for tomorrow.” Olivier said, handing her his credit card.

“Aren’t you coming?” she asked.

Olivier shook his head. “I’ve had my outfit for weeks. Besides, I have some paperwork to tend to.” Loki met his gaze, knowing full well the paperwork he spoke of. “I will see you when you return.” He nodded at Loki and pressed a kiss to Aurora’s forehead.

Once Olivier had entered the building, Aurora turned to Loki. “Let’s knock this shopping out so we can get you to bed early.”

“Lead the way.” he said, scratching the back of his head.

Aurora pulled him down the street. She was rambling on about how long it had been since she’d been in the city and how much she loved it. All Loki could do was wonder if anyone would notice him.

Logic told him that it had been ten human years since his attack and that he looked entirely different than the last time he’d been on Earth. All of New York had come to see him being led away under the guard of Thor. So logic would also lead him to believe that no one had reason to believe he had returned to Earth.

Aurora’s hand broke free of his and she hurried to a bridge. He watched as she turned to him, a broad smile on her face. It was Central Park, her favorite place he could hear her say. It was in that moment that he understood his fear was not being recognized. It was the trouble that would follow Aurora should he be. It was the fear of being taken away from her. Of what she would think of him.

Guilt now weighed heavy with the knowledge that he was entirely responsible for the death of her mother. He was responsible for causing her the worst pain in her life. The thoughts tore at his heart. He felt ashamed and unworthy of her affection.

She waved him over and he obeyed, his legs still feeling like lead. He leaned against the railing and watched the horse drawn carriages pass beneath them.

“So I figure we will get your clothes out of the way first.” she said.

“Why me?” he asked.

She turned and hopped up onto the railing, resulting in a gasp from Loki.

“Because I am a typical woman, and I love all things beautiful. This is a masquerade too. So that means high fashion costume.” she said, wiggling her eyebrows.

“I have no idea what you are talking about. Get down before you fall.” he said.

She kicked her legs. “It’s alright. I used to do this all the time. There is an Armani store not too far from here.”

“Armani. Sure. Please get down, Aurora.”

“Then there is the Prada store. And Yellow Rat Bastard and then there is Odin-”

Loki’s head snapped up. “Odin? He’s here?”

Aurora laughed. “Odin is a clothing store. But they are all on the lower end of Manhattan. We’ll have to take a cab to get th-” she was barely able to cry out as she slipped and began to fall backwards.

Loki reached out and grabbed her by the shirt, pulling her back onto the ground. “Are you alright?” he cried, holding her face in his hands.

She nodded, trying to catch her breath.

“Damn it Aurora, I asked you to get down. You need to think!” he said angrily.

“I’m sorry!” she snapped.

He stood and helped her to her feet. The last thing he needed was unwanted attention. “No, I am sorry. I just don’t want to think of something happening to you.”

“I’m sorry…” she said, placing a hand on his face. “I’m alright. Ok?”

He nodded. “Ok. Now,” he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Take me to this, Odin.”

OoOoOoOo

Two hours later, the man staring back at him in the mirror wasn’t someone he fully recognized. Gone from his face was the worry and anger that had plagued him for so long. Outside he could hear Aurora laugh as she spoke on the phone.

The air in the room felt thick and he coughed, adjusting the collar of his shirt.

“Loki…” he turned his head but saw no one. He went back to critiquing his new look. His hair, though still cut short had grown longer and was able to be slicked back with a brush of his hand.

“I always preferred you with longer hair…” he could feel hot breath on his ear and jerked his head in the direction of the silky voice. No one was in the room with him. He pinched the bridge of his nose fighting back the beginnings of a headache. When he looked back up, Amora stood behind him scantily clad in a dark green gown, leaning against the opposite wall with her arms crossed.

Loki spun around, eyes wide. “Amora?” he gasped.

She sauntered over to him, a smile on her lips. “Hello lover…” She stopped inches away from him.

“How is this possible?” he whispered, backing up against the mirror.

“All things are possible.” she stroked the side of his stubble covered cheek. “I’ve come to free you of this prison sentence.”

He shook his head slowly. “What are you talking about?” he made the mistake of meeting her green gaze.

“It is within my power to restore to you that which was taken from you.” she responded, bringing her lips up to his. “All you have to do is give yourself to me…” For a moment he was overcome by an overwhelming sense of lust as her hands made their way to his groin. His hands snaked up her sides and he wound a hand through her long blonde waves.

Outside of the dressing room Aurora’s laughter cut through the air, snapping him out of his trance. He jerked her head back speaking through gritted teeth. “NO. You damned jade. How dare you use your trickery on me.”

Amora hissed angrily, backing away from him. “I take this as a testament to your mortality. Because only a mortal would be so foolish to speak to me in such a way.”

“Take your leave or by the gods I will-”

Amora laughed. “You will what? You hold no power. You are no god.” her words ripped the scabs off of old wounds. He moved to strike her but she disappeared before his eyes. He made to exit the room, pulling the curtain back slightly. Aurora sat with her back to him.

“It wouldn’t do for you to upset me. Lovers quarrels can get messy. With your little girlfriend in the way…” Loki felt her breath on his neck once more. “Lets just say things have the potential of getting very, very messy.” With that last comment, the air in the room lightened immensely and he knew she was gone.

He understood her meaning all to well, and believed her. Amora was always one to use honey rather than vinegar when it came to something she desired, but Loki knew firsthand that aside from a near insatiable lust of the flesh, she also had an equally strong lust for blood. The meaning behind her words terrified him.

With a flick of his wrist, he threw open the dressing room curtains and stepped out. Aurora beamed at him from the chair she sat in. He wore a dark blue dress shirt with black slacks.

Aurora giggled and stood, walking to him. “I do believe, Mr. Green that this is my favorite look.” she gripped the lapels of his shirt and pulled him down to her in a kiss.

He smiled. “I thought the last ten looks were your favorites?”

She touched her nose to his. “They were.” She glanced over her shoulder at the sales clerk. “We’ll take these as well. Have them delivered to this address.” she handed the woman her father’s credit card and a card with his condo’s address.

“Shouldn’t we get your shopping started now?” he asked.

“I don’t even know what to be..” Aurora replied, allowing Loki to lead her out onto the street.

OoOoOoOo

“Aurora. 15 minutes!” Olivier knocked on her door. He was dressed as an 18th century merchant, complete with a white powdered wig and stockings. It took all within Loki’s power to keep from laughing at him.

Loki waited by the door his hand idly gripping the saber that rested on his hip. He was clad in a dark red heavy crushed velvet tailcoat with golden embroidery on the lapels, a black cravat around his neck. His pants were the same deep shade of red with a black belt and black knee high leather riding boots. A black, mid-length cape hung from his left shoulder. An ivory colored mask shaped like a skull covered his clean shaven face, from the nose up and his black hair was slicked back. It hadn’t taken him long to convince himself to dress as the Phantom from one of Aurora’s favorite films.

“You guys go ahead. I’m not even close to being done!” she cried from behind the door of her room.

Olivier looked at Loki. Loki smiled and held his hands up. “I’m not strong enough to intervene.”

“We’re going then. I’ll send the Limo back to get you.” Olivier said.

“Thanks Daddy!”

Loki opened the door and bowed. “After you.”

OoOoOoOo

They rode to the party mostly in silence. Olivier for once didn’t have much to say. Though the night was considerably cool for October, he sat across from Loki wiping at his sweaty brow.

Loki stared blankly out at the night, thoughts of Amora plaguing his brain. She was up to no good, that he knew. The question was what. After the night that he informed her she would never be his queen, the enchantress had left the desolate planet that she and Loki had made their makeshift home. He also feared for Aurora. Amora was a jealous woman and the last thing he wanted was for Aurora to get in her crosshairs.

He hadn’t realized they’d reached their destination until Olivier spoke up.

“My contact delivered these to me this about an hour ago.” he handed Loki a yellow envelope.

Loki opened it an pulled out a small plastic card with his picture and the address of the lake house on it. The contact Olivier spoke of had come by while Aurora was at the salon and taken his picture against white background of the living room wall.

“That is your drivers license. The papers beneath are your birth certificate and your social security card. Protect them at all costs, because there are no copies. My guy doesn’t do copies.” he said.

Loki flipped the card over. “Loki Nicholls?” he asked, arching his brow.

“Don’t be picky. It’s a good name.”

Loki smiled and tucked the documents in his pocket. “Thank you, Olivier.”

“Just don’t give me any reason to regret this.”

The chauffer opened the door and together the two of them made their through the doors of Gotham Hall.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENTS!!! Is anyone else as excited as I am over seeing the Thor 2 commercials on TV? JAYZUS!