To Roam Into the Unknown

The Funeral

Aurora sat on the edge of her father’s bed staring at his open closet, completely numb.
She had been sitting in that same spot, clutching her father’s robe in her hands, for the better part on the day. Her face was free of any makeup, her usually bright eyes dull and swollen.

It had been nearly five days since Olivier died. At the time everything had seemed like a blur, but now…now time had seemed to stop. She replayed the events in her mind.

Loki had ushered her into her car and driven like a mad man to keep up with the ambulance while she sat screaming hysterically in the passenger seat.

They waited in the waiting room, Aurora pacing back and forth as Loki followed, trying to calm her down. She could hear the rustling of her gown as she moved, see herself freeze as the doctor approached her.

“I already knew…” she whispered, gripping his robe tighter.

“Ms. Moreau…” the tale-tell pause. “Your father was brought to us unresponsive. Despite our best efforts, at 2209 he was pronounced deceased from a ruptured cerebral aneurism.” A sob escaped her lips and she clamped a hand over her mouth, pulling Olivier’s robe up to her face. It still smelled like him.

OoOoOoOo

Loki stood in the doorway, watching her as she cried into the cloth she was holding. He felt helpless and it was something he never wanted to feel again. He felt a tingling in his hand and looked down, clenching his fist. Power surged through him, begging to be used. He couldn’t find the courage to use it. If he could he would take away the hurt that had enveloped her.

But he knew this hurt would heal with time. If only he could speed time up. Skip the sorrow filled days ahead and come out at the tunnel’s lighted end.

“You can come in…” he heard her say.

Quietly, he pushed the door open and walked to the large window next to where she sat.

“Do you think you could eat something?” he asked quietly, tucking his hands in the pockets of his trousers.

“I’m not hungry…” she replied, sniffling.

“You’ve scarce had anything for the last few days, Aurora.” he said.

“I’ll eat when I’m ready.” she snapped.

Loki nodded, looking out the window. The sky was gray and a thick fog was rolling in from the lake.

“The lawyer asked for you again.” he said.

“I’m not ready to see him.” she said.

“Alright.” he gave her a moment before continuing. “The funeral is in two days…”

“And?”

“Have you signed the papers?” He asked.

“Not yet.” she said.

“Aurora-”

“Loki, I said I would do it and I’ll do it.” she snapped again.

“Very well.” he turned to make his way to the hall. “Let me know if you need anything.”

He missed the tears that welled up and spilled down her cheeks. “Ok…” she squeaked.

OoOoOoOo

Loki stood out in the back yard, watching the dogs run back and forth. Caesar ran back up to him and dropped a slobbery tennis ball at his feet. With a sigh, he bent down and picked it up. The two dogs waited before him, ready to play. Loki glanced up at the house.

Aurora stood at the large window of Olivier’s room, watching him.

He held his hand up in a wave. For a moment, he thought she hadn’t seen him. But slowly her hand raised and she pressed her palm to the glass.

“Poor thing. She must be taking this very hard.” Loki turned quickly.

A man slightly shorter than himself with salt and pepper colored hair knelt by Cleo, petting her.

“I’m sorry, you are?”

The man stood, brushing off his pants. “Max Moreau.” he offered his hand.

Loki shook it, still slightly apprehensive of him. “Loki L-Nicholls. You are Olivier’s brother?”

“Oui. You are a friend of Aurora’s?” Max asked.

“I’d like to believe I’m a bit more than that…” Loki replied, throwing the tennis ball.

Max smiled. “How is our Aurora?” he asked in a thick French accent.

Loki pushed his sunglasses further up on his nose. “I’ve never seen her like this. She wont eat. She doesn’t sleep.”

Max nodded. “It’s like Corrine all over again.”

Loki scratched the back of his neck and the two men made their way back to the house.

Aurora was making her way down the stairs. Max held open his arms, pulling her to his chest. She buried her face in his jacket and sobbed.

OoOoOoOo

“We cannot release the body until you sign the papers, Miss Moreau.”

Aurora said nothing as she stared down at the papers.

Loki looked at the funeral home attendant. “I’m terribly sorry, could you please give us a moment?” he asked.

The man nodded and stepped out of the room.

Aurora looked up at Loki pleadingly. He rubbed her arms. “Aurora…it has to be done.” he said quietly.

Her eyes filled with tears. “I know…but when I sign them…” she swallowed hard. “That makes it real…that means he’s really gone…then I have no one!” she whispered.

Loki wrapped his arms around her, pressing her to his chest. “Aurora…that’s simply not true.” he said, nudging her forehead with his nose. “You have me. You will always have me.” he said.

They stood that way for a few minutes until Aurora composed herself. She took in a deep breath and looked up at him. “Ok…” Loki gave her a reassuring nod.

With a shaky hand and tears in her eyes, she grabbed the pen and signed her name.

OoOoOoOo

“Safety net, don't hold me now
In this hole I've fallen down…”


Aurora stood by the gravesite surrounded by her father’s friends and colleagues. Max stood to her left, Loki on her right.

The priest stood at the top of the gravesite, the Bible clutched to his chest. “…Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…”

Aurora heard very few of his words. Her eyes were transfixed on the coffin before her. She was past crying and felt there were no more tears left to cry.

“…And he shall wipe the tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death…” he said.

“Secret home I made and found
And you wait to breathe…”


Aurora’s bottom lip began to tremble and her shoulders slumped slightly as she fought to hold control. Then she felt cool fingers intertwine with hers and she looked up. Loki looked down at her and gave her a slight nod. For the first time in days, she felt a small spark in her heart, and she knew that everything would be ok.

OoOoOoOo

Two weeks had passed since the funeral and Loki had finally convince Aurora to meet with the lawyers. They sat in oversized leather chairs before a short, slightly overweight man with an apparent sweat gland issue. He wiped his forehead after nearly every other word.

“Miss Moreau, your father has left you…essentially everything.” The lawyer stated, wiping his brow.

Aurora gripped Loki’s hand and he squeezed it in response. “Everything?” she whispered.

“The estate was signed over to you, including all of the properties save for the Estate in Marseille which goes to one Maximillian Moreau ….” the lawyer continued to explain the legalities of everything, but it was too much for her.

She gave an occasional nod here and an mhmm there. As she signed the papers, it was like an outer body experience. And she had had enough of those of late. The room began to feel too warm and black spots dotted her vision. She fidgeted in her seat and finally interrupted the Lawyer.

“Can we go home now?” she asked, looking over at Loki.

Loki looked at the lawyer with an apologetic smile. “Of course sweetheart.”

She was up and out the door as soon as the words were out of his mouth.

Loki and the lawyer stood. “I’m terribly sorry. She is having a hard time coping. Is there anything else you require?”

“No sir. If anything comes up I will give you a call.” he replied.

Loki gave him a quick nod and walked out, hurrying down the stairs. The cold air was a bit of a shock to him as he pushed outside. Aurora stood by the car, bent at the waist, hands pressed to her knees as she struggled to breathe.

“Aurora!” he rushed over to her.

“I can’t…breathe…” she gasped.

He knelt before her and looked up at her face. “You’re alright. Breathe baby…” his voice was low and soothing. The midgardian term of endearment still felt foreign on his lips, but it seemed to do the trick.

She looked up at him, tears in her eyes, and smiled.

He smiled at her and rubbed her legs. “Everything is going to be alright.”

“We’re going to be alright.” she said. “Lets go home.”

OoOoOoOo

Aurora stood at the window, staring out into the night. The moon cast a silvery glow over the yard. Loki stepped out of the bathroom.

“Are you alright?” he asked, pulling his shirt off.

“I thought I saw someone in the yard…a woman.”

Loki’s heart skipped a beat and he felt the familiar magical tingle in his hands. “Did you get a good look at her?” he asked, flexing his hands.

“No. She’s probably one of the neighbors heading out to shore for a walk.” she replied, dropping the sheer curtain. She closed her eyes as his bare chest pressed against her back.

“Loki you‘re so cold…” Goosebumps prickled up on her arms.

“Sorry…” he chuckled, pressing his face into her hair.

They stayed that way for a few minutes, nothing but the gentle hum of the ceiling fan for noise.

“Loki…”

He trailed his fingers down her uncovered arms. “Yes?” he kissed her shoulder gently.

She smiled as he nuzzled her neck and wrapped his arms around her waist. “I love you…” she whispered.

The words hit him like a brick and he paused, lips pressed against her shoulder. Those were words that hadn’t been said to him in ages, and he never thought he’d hear again.

She turned around to face him, not expecting to see his eyes glazed over with tears. Before she could speak further, he pressed his lips to hers in a gentle kiss. One hand snaked up her back to rest just at her neck, the other at her lower back as he pulled her as close to him as possible.

The kiss deepened and with a low growl, he grabbed her up by her thighs and carried her to the bed. He broke the kiss briefly to look down at her. Her golden hair was spread out like a halo. She was his angel. His morning. His promise of another day.

“I love you. More than you could ever know.” he said quietly.

She pulled him down to her and their lips collided with seemingly new purpose in life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait and short chapter. Been training for a marathon! Saw the new Thor and it was phenomenal! The lyrics are from Skin by Zola Jesus, a very fitting song for that particular part. As always, you guys are the greatest! Leave me some feedback! Kinda getting into a bit of writer's block and I think it shows a bit in this chapter. Much Love!!