To Roam Into the Unknown

Home

Loki stumbled to his knees upon entering the bifrost, gasping for air.

"Loki breathe." Thor pulled him to his feet. "You must breathe, brother."

"I have...to return to her." Loki said.

Thor shook his head slowly. "In time."

"What do you mean, in time Thor?!" He screamed. "Every minute that passes here, are days that she is without me!" He pointed his finger at the opening of the bifrost. Without giving Thor a chance to reply, he stalked over to the golden gatekeeper. "Heimdall, send me back!"

Heimdall exhaled through his nose, golden eyes starting out into the galaxy. "I cannot."

Loki scoffed. "Of course you can!"

"He speaks true, Loki." Thor said.

Loki spun around to face his brother. "What madness is this?!"

"I am simply obeying the express command of my king." Heimdall replied.

"Wha-" Loki looked on Thor with accusing, tear glazed eyes. "Father?"

"Has fallen back into the Odinsleep. Recent events have proven too much for him, as he was pulled from the slumber prematurely."

Loki pressed his lips into a thin line as his words sunk in. "And so now you're king."

Thor lifted his chin. "I am. Until father awakens."

"What of mother?" He asked.

"She is well."

Loki nodded slightly, looking around the golden dome. The newly learned information would have bothered the old Loki. All the new Loki could think of was getting back to the realm he once despised.

"Thor, please. You saw the state she was in. I-I-" he took a deep, steadying breath. "She carries my child."

Thor couldn't hide the look of surprise that crossed his face. He clapped a hand down on Loki's shoulder. "Brother, this is joyous news!"

"I wish I could share in the joy."

Thor understood his brother's unspoken need to talk. "Come. You need to rest and it would do mother good to see you."

"Thor I-"

"Heimdall, can you see..." Thor looked at Loki.

"Aurora. Her name is Aurora." Loki replied quietly.

"I see her." Heimdall replied.

Loki perked up. "Is she well?"

"She is in the care of Midgard's healers." Heimdall said.

"Doctors." The brothers replied in unison.

Loki looked to Thor, giving him the faintest of smiles. Thor clapped him on the back.

"Let us talk, brother." Together the two followed the rainbow bridge to the massive golden gates of Asgard.

OoOoOo

When Aurora came to, she was in a dark hospital room.

"Aurora?" Max sat forward in the chair next to her bed, a bandage around his head and knuckles.

She looked at him, wanting to ask one of the million questions swirling in her brain, but she couldn't find the words. The last thing she remembered was Loki disappearing with the other man in a blinding flash of light. Loki. Her mind struggled to comprehend the event that had just occurred.

"How do you feel?" Max asked, brushing her bangs out of her face.

"Loki?" She whispered.

Max scowled. "He's gone. You don't have to worry about him anymore."

Aurora's eyes filled with tears. "The baby?"

"Is fine." He said quietly. Max forced a smile, running his fingers through her hair. "Whatever your reasons for not going through with the termination...I was wrong to pressure you."

"Uncle Max..."

He held up his hand. "I was wrong. You are more than ready to be a mother. I will always be here for you, if you need me."

Their was a soft knock on the door and a petit nurse with short brown hair entered. "I'm sorry sir...it's time for her to rest."

Max stood.

"Wait wait...can't he stay with me?" Aurora asked.

"Its alright. I'm ok now that I know you are too. I'm going to go home and take a shower. I'll be back and I'll bring some fresh clothes for you." He said, giving her hand a squeeze.

He nodded at the nurse as he made his way to the door.

"Uncle Max!"

He turned as he opened the door.

"I love you." She said.

"As I love you." He shut the door.

The nurse walked over to IV monitor and began to reset it. She pulled out a syringe.

"What is that?" Aurora asked.

The nurse slid the needle into the IV port. "Just something to help you sleep."

"I don't want to sleep."

She pushed the plunger down anyway.

"I told you-" Aurora struggled to focus as the medicine began to take effect.

"Whenever you're ready, director." The nurse called.

The door opened and a tall dark skinned man walked in. His one eye was covered with an eye patch and he was clad in all black. "Good evening, Miss Moreau."

The room began to spin and eventually her vision became blurred. "Who...who...are..." She closed her eyes and slipped into a deep, drug-induced sleep.

"How long will this last, Maria?" He asked.

"Long enough to transport her without incident, sir."

He nodded, clasping his hands behind his back. "Good. Prepare her for transport immediately."

"You really believe Loki has returned?" Maria asked.

"It's no coincidence that her boyfriend's name is Loki and that Thor randomly showed up. She knows something."

"Are we prepared to go after him? Do we even have the man power to go after him?"

The director flashed a bright smile. "Agent Suarez, I have no intention of tracking him down." He turned his gaze on Aurora. "He will come to us."

Maria turned and threw the syringe into the biohazard container. "That's what I'm afraid of." She mumbled.

OoOoOo

The brothers strode in silence down the massive halls of the castle until they came to a large, intricately carved set of doors. Odin and Frigga's bedchamber.

Loki glanced at Thor, who offered him a warm smile before pushing the doors open. He entered room with Loki following behind him quietly

Odin rested peacefully in his massive bed, secured by a golden aura. He looked as if he had aged ten centuries.

Frigga, donning a deep scarlet silk gown with gold lace at the neckline, sat by the balcony doors talking quietly with another woman.

Her long, golden hair hung loosely at her waist. She was as beautiful and elegant as the last time Loki had seen her.

"Mother, Jane, I have brought a visitor." Thor said.

Frigga turned towards them with a gentle smile, which turned to a bright grin that reached her crystal blue eyes when Loki stepped from behind Thor.

"Hello mother." Loki said quietly.

Frigga stood so quickly, the chair tumbled over. She ran to him and wrapped her arms around him. "Oh my son! My son!" She sobbed.

In her arms, Loki lost all resolve. He wrapped his arms around her waist, buried his face in her shoulder and cried. She was the only one who ever seemed to accept him. The only one who ever seemed to understand him. Frigga stroked his head and closed her eyes as tears fell down her cheeks. "Loki...all is forgiven, my love. You're home now." She whispered.

Loki took a deep breath and pulled back, taking her hands in his own. "Mother I have missed you." He said. "But I'm afraid this is no longer my home."

"Oh Loki, you can't possibly still believe-"

He shook his head slowly and smiled, handing her a handkerchief.

Thor spoke up. "Jane and I will leave you."

Loki, never breaking eye contact with Frigga, spoke. "Brother, I would have you hear this as well."

Jane placed a hand on Thor's arm. "I'll just be in my room." She whispered. Thor nodded solemnly, lowering his head to kiss her gently. She glanced at Loki and then took her leave.

Loki walked to the overturned chair his mother had been sitting in and set it upright. "Mother, please." He gestured to the chair. Once she was seated, Loki and Thor sat on the sofa before her.

"I haven't much time, for as soon as this discussion is over, I will be returning to Midgard."

Frigga's mouth opened slightly in protest. "But Loki, you only just returned!"

Thor watched him intently, but said nothing.

"I have done terrible things to you both, to father. My actions in New York were..." He searched for the right words, but could not find them. "I have much to atone for."

"As our mother said, all is forgiven." Thor said.

Loki smiled, resting his elbows on his knees. "And I am ever grateful for that. But you and I both know that I can never return to Asgard with honor." Once more Frigga attempted to protest, but Loki held his hand up, silencing her. "I have made my peace with that." He smiled. "Asgard is no longer my home, because my home is on midgard."

Thor smiled, but once more said nothing.

"Has my son found love?" Frigga asked.

Loki smiled, tears shimmering in his eyes. "I have. Aurora Moreau. She saved me in more ways than one. And she is with child."

Frigga brought the handkerchief to her mouth as a happy sob escaped her lips. Thor gave a hearty laugh.

"A baby?" She squeaked.

Loki nodded, wiping a tear away with his thumb. "Oh but I was so foolish! She gave me everything. She took me in and we fell in love." He commenced to telling them everything about his time as a mortal. Even his dealings with Amora.

Thor sat up straight. "Amora?"

"Yes." Loki said.

"As in Amora, the Enchantress?" Thor asked.

"The very one."

Frigga took Loki's hand in hers. "Loki, you must make this right. Whatever the cost."

"That is my plan, mother. Which is why I must go once more."

"I now understand your haste, brother." Thor replied.

"Thank you." Loki stood.

OoOoOo

Aurora was woken by someone tapping her on her face. She groaned and opened her eyes.

The one eyed man sat across from her, a smug look on his face.

She squinted in the bright light, but when she tried to shield her eyes, she realized her wrists were restrained to the bed. "What..." She began to struggle, trying to pull her wrists free.

"I would relax. Given your recent...health issues." He said.

"Who are you?!"

He stood, his hands behind his back. "My name is Nick Fury and I'm the director of S.H.I.E.L.D."

"That means nothing to me. Why am I here?"

"We have it on good authority that you have been dealing with the war criminal, Loki." He reported.

"Dealing? War criminal? What are you talking about?" She asked.

"Please don't insult my intelligence. Loki is public enemy number one." Fury have a short laugh. "The man destroyed half of New York city, killed nearly a hundred people-one of them being your own mother, and you say you know nothing?"

The realization hit her then. The energy that had knocked out Uncle Max, the clothes Loki was wearing. The helmet. Aurora's voice caught in her throat and she shook her head slowly.

"No..." She whispered.

"You have been hiding him."

"No!" She repeated.

Fury picked up a folder from the small bedside table. "Where is Loki, Miss Moreau?"

"I don't know." She said.

"Aren't you worried about him?" Fury asked.

The question took Aurora by surprise, but not as much as her response. "I love him. He didn't do those things." She whispered.

Fury arched a brow, his one good eye twinkled. "Um excuse me? Would you like to see the Intel? I can replay you the footage if you'd like."

"There had to be some crazy reason-some logical reason-"

Fury slammed his hand on the desk. "The man murdered your mother!"

Aurora gave a violent start.

Fury looked at her with a mix of disgust and pity. "And you are pregnant with his baby?"

He gathered the file and draped his coat over his arm, walking to the large metal door. "The man is a frost giant. Are you sure you want something like that growing in you?"

Aurora closed her eyes and turned her head away from him.

"Let me know if you want something done about that." He said, slamming the door behind him.

OoOoOo

Loki entered the Bifrost quietly. His mother had insisted he visit the healers and eat before he left. He'd promised to do so and meet her and Thor afterwards. But he'd no intention of wasting anymore time.

"You've lost your touch, Loki." Heimdall said, his back to Loki.

Loki sighed. "I've lost more than that, I'm afraid." He walked to stand next to the gatekeeper.

The two men stood in silence briefly, just staring out into the darkness.

Loki turned, his mouth open to speak, but Heimdall cut him off. "If the queen says all is forgiven, then let it be so."

"But I still feel I must beg your forgiveness either way. What I did was wrong and it put you in a terrible position. I used your loyalty against you, and I humbly ask your forgiveness."

Heimdall acknowledged him with a grunt. "Forgiveness is given more easily than trust, I'm afraid."

Loki turned his gaze back out to the stars. "Fair enough."

"I should have known you wouldn't see the healers."

Loki turned as his mother and Thor entered. He walked over to her, taking her outstretched hand. "I'm sorry mother-" she silenced him with a kiss to the cheek.

"Loki." She placed a delicate hand on either side of his face. "I love you. I hope you know that Asgard will always be your home. You will always be welcome here. We are your family."

He smiled, sliding his hands over hers. "I love you mother." He turned to Thor.

"Brother." Thor held out his hand and Loki clasped his arm.

"Thor-"

"Loki, I cannot see your mortal." Heimdall bellowed.

Loki spun around. "What? Heimdall are you sure?"

"My eyes do not lie. She was taken to the healers just after you arrived, but now she is hidden from me." He gripped the hilt of his golden sword.

Loki turned a fearful gaze towards his mother.

She raised a hand in farewell. "Go to her my dear."

Loki forced a half smile and turned to the opening of the Bifrost.

"Loki, if you should need anything, you have but to ask. Go." Thor nodded to Heimdall. "Find your lady love and take care of yourself."

Heimdall thrust the key down into the ignition.

Loki gave Thor and Frigga a final glance and felt the familiar tug aft his stomach before he was sucked out of Asgard in a shower of colors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update! More to come soon! As always, comment comment comment!