To Roam Into the Unknown

Hike

Loki Sat up with a gasp.

"Ah, you're awake!" Thor stated.

Loki groaned and fell back "What time is it?" He asked.

"Mid-day, my Lord." Una replied as she set down a handful roots and herbs.

"Thor, we have to go." Loki replied, looking almost desperate.

Thor nodded. "And we will."

"If, you are able to hold down this stew." Una said, tossing roots into the iron pot.

At the thought of food, his stomach gave a loud growl and Thor laughed. "That's a good sign."

Una glanced at Loki and smiled as she cut roots and vegetables into small chunks. "While it cooks, you should probably wash up."

"You're mad if you think I'll go back near water on this realm." He said.

"Well, Una was trying to be polite, but you smell like the wrong end of a bilgesnipe."

Loki scrunched up his face and sniffed his shirt. "I can't tell."

Thor stood. "Trust me brother, we can. There is a small lake not far from here. A little lightning should take care of any creatures in the water."

Loki leaned his head back and stared at the stew.

"It shouldn't be long now. Then we can resume our journey.." Una said, stirring the pot.

His stomach lurched again with hunger. "I suppose I was more hungry than I thought." He said with a smirk. "You truly know where Ríkuláta lives?"

She nodded. "I do."

"How so?"

Una paused with spoon in hand. "She is my grandmother. Well, my great-great-great-great grandmother."

Loki sat up straight. "You didn't think this was pertinent information?"

Una shrugged. "I haven't seen her in many years. But she is wise and very skilled with magic. I know she can help you."

Loki opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted by a crack of thunder. Una quickly threw her hands over her ears with a squeak.

"It appears my bath is ready." Loki replied dryly, staggering to his feet. He gave Una a nod and wandered in the direction of the thunder clap.

The sun was shining brightly along the small path that led him to the...very small lake. Thor stood at the edge of the bank, Mjolnir slung over his shoulder, smiling proudly.

"No wurms or Swamfisks to try to devour you." He smirked, dodging a fist as Loki tried to punch his arm.

"Were you aware that Una is the great great great great great granddaughter of one Ríkuláta?" Loki asked, skipping a stone across the water.

Thor looked at him, smile fading. "You're serious?"

"Serious as wurm venom." He replied, tossing another rock.

"Do we trust her?" Thor asked.

Loki removed his tunic, examining the wound on his chest. "Do we have a choice?"

Thor raised his eyebrows and nodded. "Right. I'll be back at camp. Tell if you need anything." He turned and headed back down the trail.

Loki rolled his eyes and dove into the cool water.

OoOoOo

Several hours later, the trio stood at the base of the mountains.

"The horses will never make it up the mountain." Una said.

"Just how far up are we to go?" Thor asked.

"To the highest peak." Una replied.

Thor looked to Loki. "The highest peak." He grumbled.

Loki shrugged. "I'm not exactly afraid of heights." He charged forward and began the step hike.

OoOoOo

Halfway up the mountain dark clouds had gathered and it had begun to rain. The wind picked up significantly the higher they climbed.

"How much further?" Thor called, shielding his face from the wind driven rain. He was ahead of them, looking down.

"The highest peak-" Una shrieked as her sandals foot slipped.

Loki's hand shot out, grabbing her by her wrist. She cried out as she dangled over the edge of the jagged rocks.

The rain made her skin slick and she began to slip out of his grip. With a strained growl, he lifted her back up to the rock she fell from. She pressed her face against the rocks, gasping.

"Is she alright?" Thor yelled.

"Are you?" Loki asked.

She nodded. "Thank you."

"The highest peak, correct?" He asked.

Once more she nodded.

"Can you go further?" He asked.

"I can." Una said, reaching overhead and gripping the rocks.

OoOoOo

After what seemed like an endless climb, they reached the top of the highest peak. Loki pulled Una over the edge and helped her to her feet. The rain had ceased, but the wind was still blowing strong.

There was a large cave before them. Vines covered most of the entrance and a tree grew crooked from between two boulders next to the opening.

"This is it?" Thor asked.

Una walked up to the entrance. "Follow me."

Loki brushed his hair back and followed her, Thor following closely.

The cave was cold, damp and smelled musty. Loki could see light glowing in the distance and the closer they got, he could make out a strong herbal aroma.

Una pushed through vines that hung from the cave ceiling, entering a wide dome-like area.

"Amma..." Una said softly, kneeling next to the fire burning in the middle of the room.

An elderly woman stood with her back to them, chopping roots at a makeshift table.

"Amma, I've brought guests-"

"Yes, the princes of Asgard. I trust your travels went well?" The woman turned and dumped the roots into a kettle over the fire, sending a purple plume of smoke into the air. She looked as if she would have been tall, had she not been hunched over. Thick white hair was pulled into braids, piled onto her head. Her face was wrinkled with age and thick kohl lined her eyes. She wore a long white gown which fastened at her left shoulder with a golden pin. The hem of the gown was dirty from where it dragged against the damp floor.

"They were without tragedy, though out would be a lie to say they wetter without incident." Loki answered.

"You are the god of lies, are you not?" She quipped, turning once more to the table.

"This is my grandmother, Ríkuláta." Una said.

"My lady, I am Thor-"

"I know well who you are. Both of you. Sit." Ríkuláta said, stirring the kettle.

Thor shot Loki a look of confusion. Loki shrugged his shoulders slightly and the two brothers walked into the dome and say by the flames.

"What can a humble old woman do for the Dark Prince?" She asked, scooping the soup into a bowl.

Loki bristled internally at the nickname, but his cool demeanor on the outside was unwavering. "We are in need of information, which Una believes you may have."

The old woman knelt before Loki, offering him the liquid. As her eyes met his, it was then that Loki realized Ríkuláta was blind.

"The poison still remains in your body." She said. "This will remove the last of it and replenish your energy."

He took the bowl, unsure of what to say.

"How do you know that?" Thor asked.

"The Norns saw fit to take my eyes, but my vision is still quite clear. Ask your question."

Loki drank the bitter concoction, fighting the urge to regurgitate. He winced. "Where is Iðunn?"

"She is on Muspelheim."

Loki scoffed. "Muspelheim? The land of the fire giants?"

Ríkuláta gave her head a slight nod. "The very same. So I hope you are prepared for what is to come next. Aurora's life depends on it."

Loki nearly choked on the remaining broth. "What do you know of her?" He asked, wiping his mouth on the back of his sleeve.

"That she is the reason you are making this ridiculous journey. You'd better hope Iðunn finds the reason to be honorable enough after what you put her through." She said.

"Amma!" Una scolded. "Don't be rude!"

Ríkuláta swatted at her arm with a wooden spoon. "Do not speak of things you know nothing about!" She hissed.

"What does she mean?" Una asked, rubbing her arm.

"It was a long time ago, probably before you were born-"

"Loki, you do not have to answer!" Thor interrupted.

Loki held up his hand, meeting Ríkuláta's foggy blue-gray eyes. "It's alright brother. I don't mind." He took a sip of Black Elderberry wine. "As I was saying, it was a long time ago. I was an adult, but only just. And I was always getting into some form of mischief. I was approached by a Jotun by the name of Þjazi. He was well practiced in sorcery and was expertly disguised as an asgardian. He offered me training in the ways of shape shifting and some other trinkets, if I would agree to have Iðunn met him in the woods. So, knowing of her strong curiosity, I convinced her that I'd come across some...I believe rather interesting was the phrase I used...blue apples. I explained that I didn't know enough about them and didn't want to risk picking one as I was unsure of the consequences, and naturally, she followed. How was I to know what Þjazi had planned? Once we'd arrived at the location he'd mentioned, Iðunn immediately noticed there were no apples and questioned me. I had no answer for her and she tried to leave. I tried to convince her to stay and began to explain. Upon hearing Þjazi's name, she became hysterical. Before I knew what was happening, a giant eagle-bigger than any I've ever seen-snatched her in its claws and flew away with her. If it hasn't been for the identifying Mark on its neck, I doubt I would have ever known it was Þjazi " He looked up. Everyone's gaze was turned to him now. He took another sip of wine, cleared his throat and continued. "She was gone for so long, people began to take notice of her absence when apples were not being delivered to newborns around the realm. As you know, without them, the children would grow up quickly as mortals. I was forced to come clean about what happened as I was the only one who knew, unfortunately, I was blamed for the entire thing. Quite severe punishment was threatened if I did not find her and bring her to safety, worse than banishment to Midgard, I can assure you. So, using the magic I'd learned, I transformed myself into a falcon. I flew for days, searching endlessly through the forests and mountains of Asgard until I saw her one night, sitting by a fire-with Þjazi. She was laughing, in no apparent distress. Once Þjazi entered the cave nearby, I swooped in and snatched her up the same way Þjazi had previously done. The only problem was that she fought me, and being Æsir, she was quite strong. So I turned her into an acorn."

"An acorn?" Thor asked, brows drawn together in confusion.

"It was the first thing that popped into my head. Either way, acorns don't put up much of a fight and it wasn't permanent. Þjazi immediately knew what happened and, in the form of the eagle, pursued us. I hadn't calculated for it to happen so on a whim, I lead him to the great fires making the borders of the city. Being much smaller, I was able to pass through them with little injury, Þjazi was not as lucky. I returned Iðunn to her husband and her tree, and never spoke to her again."

Una's mouth hung slightly open, but it was Ríkuláta who spoke first. "And because of this, the tree and Iðunn were moved to a location known only to a handful."

"You claim the Norns took your physical eyes, but left you with with a mental one. Does it allow you to see what is yet to come?" Thor asked.

Ríkuláta gave a small chuckle as she collected the bowls and empty wine classes. "At times, yes. But those times are few and far between and never on demand."

"Of course. That would be too easy." Loki mumbled.

"The road to redemption is a rough one. If it were easy, no one would learn from it." She said. "Una fetch our guests bedding." Una scurried down a dark corridor, returning quickly with pillows and blankets in her arms.

"Forgive me, but we aren't staying." Loki said.

"Forgive me, but it is in your best interest. Muspelheim is a hot, humid place. Inadequate diet and rest will see that you die quickly. One more night will not hurt you."

Biting back an unwelcome remark and having no wish to argue, Loki lowered his gaze, focusing on his dirty boots.

"We are ever grateful for your generosity." Thor replied.

Loki inwardly rolled his eyes. "Thank you, Ríkuláta, we shall not forget what you've done for us this day."

"Nor will I, young Prince. Nor will I." The old woman said.