To Roam Into the Unknown

Stories

Loki barely slept. He tossed and turned even though Ríkuláta had very decent pallets made on the floor around the fire. He lay focused on the rocky ceiling off the cavern, glowing in the dying light of the fire.

Thor on the other hand, had passed out after numerous mugs of honey mead and now lay across from Loki snoring as loudly as the thunder he commanded.

Loki sighed and stood, quietly making his way down the narrow corridor to the entrance of the cave. The air would have been chilly to most people, but was refreshing to him. He stepped out onto the cliff, taking in a deep breath of clean air. The moon was full and cast a bright silvery glow on the heavily wooded forest below. He could just make out the silver ribbon-like river curving through the forest.

"Beautiful, is it not?"

He spun around, unaccustomed to being snuck up on. Una sat, perched just above the opening of the cave, one knee pulled up to her chest, the other leg dangling over the edge.

Loki stretched his back. "Trouble sleeping, Una?" He asked.

"He is the God of thunder in every sense of the word." She replied with a smile.

Loki chuckled. "Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so."

There was barely a sound as Una leapt like a feline from her perch, landing softly behind him. "You really should try to rest, Prince Loki."

He stared out over the landscape, in the direction of Asgard. "Oddly enough, I'm not tired." He said quietly, thoughts turning to Aurora. He barely registered delicate arms wrapping around his chest from behind. Closing his eyes he momentarily forgot where he was as she pressed her face against his back. Aurora used to sneak up on him the same way. But Aurora wasn't there. He opened his eyes.

"Una...what are you doing?" He asked quietly.

"I see nothing but loneliness when I look at you...it's heartbreaking." She whispered into his tunic.

"Una..." he took her hands in his and turned around to face her.

"Take me with you...please?" She asked, eyes wide with pleading.

He sighed as her gaze softened his resolve. "It is too dangerous, I cannot ask that of you."

"What care do I have of danger? There is nothing here for me." She said.

"This your home, it's where you belong. Where we go in the morning, we must go alone. I am in debt to you for your help with my injuries, but this is as far as you go." He replied.

She lowered her gaze, defeated. "Then...would you kiss me?"

Loki's brow furrowed as he looked down at her, still holding her hands.

"It's just a kiss..." She whispered. "I've never been kissed..." She avoided his gaze, suddenly very embarrassed.

It was rather harmless in his eyes, so he leaned forward and pressed his lips to her forehead, pulling her into a gentle embrace. "Thank you Una. For everything." He whispered.

She pulled away slightly, a blush spreading across her cheeks. "You haven't found her yet..."

He tilted her chin up, forcing her to meet his gaze. "But I will. And I would not have gotten this close without your help. I would have died if not for you." He said.

She smiled up at him and he leaned in, pressing a chaste kiss to her full lips. "I'm going to retire now." He said.

Una nodded, dropping her hands from his. He stepped past her, heading towards the entrance. "Are you coming?" He asked, looking back over his shoulder.

Una took in a deep breath and turned to face the land below. "Not just yet. I think I'll stay out just a while longer."

Loki smiled at her. "Good night Una."

She glanced over her shoulder at him. "Good night, my Prince."

OoOoOo

The next morning, Loki was woken by Thor tapping his face.

"Why must you insist on waking me that way?" He groaned, pushing himself into a sitting position.

"Apologies. It's become a bit of a habit recently." Thor said, handing him a bowl of some sort of green mush.

He scrunched up his face. "What is this?" He whispered, glancing up at Thor.

"It's crushed Lyr root. And you should eat it while it's hot, otherwise it becomes bitter." Ríkuláta said, walking into the dome. " She dumped two satchels by their feet.

"What's this?" Thor asked as Loki shoved the food into his mouth.

"A care package for your journey. There are plenty of healing herbs and edible roots. Where you two are going, there isn't much by way of fresh food." She said. Thor lifted one of the bags and began to rummage through it, falling into conversation with the elder.

Loki scraped the spoon against the bottom of the bowl, collecting the remainder of the food. His mind was racing with the events to come, and at the thought of being Shi close, his heart lurched with thoughts of seeing Aurora again. He swallowed the last of the food and set the bowl down as something dawned on him. "Where is Una?"

Thor looked around, then back to Ríkuláta.

"She departed just before dawn." She answered, folding some cloth.

Loki stood, reaching for a clean tunic.

"Where did she go?" Thor asked.

"I would imagine she went back to Klaufabrekka. I believe it is time for you to depart as well. Time is of the essence." She said, locking eyes with Loki.

They made their way outside. The sun shone nearly blindingly and the wind whipped their capes around.

Thor turned to Ríkuláta and kissed her hand. "Ríkuláta, we are ever grateful for your hospitality and the information you provided. If you should ever need anything-"

Ríkuláta smiled and patted his hand. "Then I shall call on the princes of Asgard."

She looked up at Loki. "Be strong, Loki. The road ahead will not be easy."

Loki's mouth turned up in a lopsided grin. "I'm no stranger to difficult roads, Ríkuláta." He leaned down and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She patted his upper arm and nodded.

Thor raised Mjolnir. "Heimdall! To Muspelheim!"

OoOoOo

The moment they landed, Loki found it difficult to breathe. The air was stifling and the humidity was so thick in the air he was certain it could be cut with a knife. Immediately he knew his armor would be too much. Standing up straight, he took in as deep a breath as he could.

The sky was black as far as the eye could see, cinders glowing where there should have been stars.

"Lovely..." Thor wiped his brow, flicking his hand to rid out of extra perspiration. "Just lovely.  Now I remember why our instructors never brought us here." Thor said.

They stood on ash-covered rocky ground with rivers of fire and lava roiling around them. Thor turned around in a circle, taking in their sparse surroundings. "Where do we begin?"

Loki shook his head slowly. "I've no idea...you said the tree would show itself to who sought it out, correct?" They began walking towards a dilapidated building.

"That's what the stories have said." Thor replied.

Loki stopped short, falling behind as Thor continued on. He continued to speak until at a glance he realized Loki was behind him.

"Loki, what is it?" He asked.

"Stories?" Loki asked. Thor blinked, not quite following. "STORIES THOR?!"

"Yes, stories. All anyone knows of the tree are from sto-" his words were cut short as Loki's ghost met his chin.

Thor stumbled back, rubbing his chin. "Loki are you mad?!" He asked angrily.

"I don't have time to waste on bedtime stories! And now we are searching for a tree that may or may not reveal itself based on a tale!" Loki cried, flexing his hand.

"We will find the tree, Loki!" Thor said.

"And his do you know this? Have you the sudden gift of foresight?" Loki snapped. He grit his teeth and closed his eyes, trying to control his anger.

"We'll never find it if we're just standing around. We haven't the time to waste."

Loki's eyes snapped open and he charged Thor, who was more prepared this time and easily parried the hit. "Do you think I don't know this! Every minute that passes takes some of her life away!" He shoved Thor backwards with all of his strength.

Thor's foot slipped and he began to fall backwards over the edge of a jagged ravine. Loki grabbed him but Thor held his arm tight, and they tumbled down.

Loki landed with a thud against a boulder, knocking the wind from him.

"Are you satisfied brother?" Thor grunted, pushing himself to his knees

Loki blinked the dust from his eyes and stood quickly. "Thor!" He hissed.

Thor stood, brushing dust from his clothes. "What now?" He snapped, looking up. Loki's eyes were wide and starting past him. He turned to look in the direction and his mouth fell open.

Further down another steep ravine, partly surrounded by glowing cinders was the only tree in the area. Even from so far away, the tree looked huge. The branches stretched out further than any tree Loki had seen, and despite the heat and fires burning around it, were full of lush green leaves.

"Thor-"

"Is that-"

Immediately the two brothers were running down the hill. At one point, Thor launched into the air, flying towards the tree. Loki caught up with him, sliding to a halt next too him. The tree towered over them, branches reaching out as far as out was tall. Large, golden apples hung from them, showing no signs of distress from the intense heat.

"Hello boys..." The silky, disembodied voice caused the hair on the back of Loki's neck to stand on end.

"Show yourself, Iðunn." Thor called.

Loki's stomach dropped. "It's not Iðunn..." Loki said quietly, fighting back the rising bile in his throat.

Thor turned, looking as if Loki had suddenly sprouted a second head. "Who else would it be, Loki?"

There was a snap of a twig, and playful laughter, like broken glass. A pair of long legs and long, golden hair, flowing like waves. "I go by many names. Most know me as Iðunn, but you may address me as Amora."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! They really motivate me!