To Roam Into the Unknown

Homecoming

Amora screamed and Thor held his hand back, wielding Mjolnir.

"You will unhand my brother!" Thor ordered.

Loki grunted and glanced at Thor, holding his hand up to still them. Þjazi's eyes opened and he sat up, still holding Loki by the throat.

"Your brother is a swine." He hissed through gritted teeth at Thor. "Loki." He sneered. "It's been a long time." He squeezed harder.

Loki grasped his wrist as the pressure became slightly uncomfortable. "Þjazi I understand your anger-"

"Do you?! Do you have any idea what I've been through? I lost EVERYTHING!" Þjazi yelled, tightening his grip.

"I know...trust me I do..." Loki gasped.

Amora stepped forward, touching his arm gently. "Þjazi..."

Þjazi's eyes flickered to her then back to Loki.

"Let him go my love. Please?" She pleaded quietly. It wasn't until she touched his face that he seemed to snap out of his rage, releasing his grip on Loki.

Loki took a step back, rubbing his throat.

"Amora? What is going on?" He asked, rubbing his hand through his hair.

She smiled, resting her forehead against his. "They brought you back to me." She said.

Þjazi's eyes flickered to Thor, then Loki. "How?"

Amora looked up at him, eyes gleaming with tears. "That doesn't matter. Nothing matters now except that you are here. With me."

"I do hate to interrupt, but we really must be on our way and there is still the small matter of payment." Loki interjected.

Þjazi jerked his head towards Loki, eyes narrowed, but Aurora grabbed his face and forced him to look at her. "It is alright Þjazi! I asked them for this." She lowered her hands and looked at Loki. "Follow me."

Þjazi stood, the shroud sliding to the floor to reveal his very naked body. Thor quickly looked away. Loki burst out laughing, prancing out of the way before he could punch him.

"Loki!" Amora stood with Thor in the doorway. "With me now! Þjazi, stay here." She commanded

Loki strode to the door, his eyes never leaving Þjazi's. He nodded his head slightly, fighting to control his laughter. "Þjazi. Good day." He turned and shut the door behind him.

"You know he wants to kill you and still you taunt him." Amora scolded, standing on her tiptoes as she pulled a large chest from a cupboard mounted on the wall.

"I apologize Amora. I'm simply trying to see the light at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel." Loki replied, clasping his hands behind his back. Thor returned carrying Una in his arms.

Amora turned, two large golden apples in her hands. "Two apples, as promised."

Loki reached out to accept them, but she held them out of reach.

"Loki, Thor. I simply wish to extend my gratitude for what you have done." She said. She placed the apples in Loki's hands. "I truly hope that everything works out for you Loki."

Loki held the apples close. "Thank you, Amora."

She gestured to the door. "Go. Greatness awaits you both."

Loki gave her a tight lipped smile. Thor bowed his head. And the two ascended the stairs, stepping out once more into the humid, sulfuric air of Muspelheim.

Thor held Mjolnir in the air. "Heimdall! Take us home!"

OoOoOo

Aurora sat in front of the large mirror as a servant girl fixed her hair. Jane sat on the chaise lounge next to her reading a book.

Aurora sighed as her stomach growled loudly. Jane laughed.

"Why do we have to get all dressed up for dinner? I just wish I could go down in my pajamas."

Jane laughed, examining her orange and red gown. "I don't know, I kind of like it...a lot actually."

Aurora smiled and rolled her eyes, playing with the golden fringe on her white gown with its jade colored beads.

"Come on Aurora, you remember when you were a little girl! We always wanted to be princesses. At least I did." Jane said.

Whatever Aurora was about to say was interrupted by the rumbling of the Bifrost. She and Jane both jerked their heads in towards the balcony. They glanced briefly at one another, then scurried to their feet. Aurora stood so quickly she toppled the vanity chair over on its side.

The two women rushed out of Aurora's room running full speed down the large hallways. Jane nearly collided with two servants carrying trays of food. Aurora felt her pulse quicken with adrenaline as she lifted her skirts above her knees for more movement.

'Please...Please be ok...' she thought. She easily surpassed Jane as they descended the grand staircase. All around them people murmured to themselves, watching as they passed in a blur.

Aurora burst through the palace doors, running at breakneck speed the moment her feet hit the rainbow bridge. She pushed her body to run faster than she had ever run before, the sound of her own heartbeat thumping in her ears. Her lungs felt as though they would burst and just before she thought she couldn't handle it, the Bifrost came into view.

Loki and Thor stood with their backs to her, talking to Heimdall. Mjolnir hung at Thor's side. Loki had his horned helmet tucked under his arm. Both were clad in their armor.

Aurora felt tears prickling the corners of her eyes and she smiled as a sob escaped her lips. Loki's head snapped up, meeting her eyes. His eyes widened and his helmet clattered to the ground.

Without any thought or command from his brain, his legs were immediately carrying him to her. Aurora picked up her skirts and hurried to him, throwing herself into his arms with a scream.

Loki lifted her into his arms, one hand cupping the back of her neck as her scent drowned his senses. His eyes rolled back and closed with relief at the realization that she was real. Her arms wrapped around his neck in a tight embrace and she buried her head in his neck as she cried.

"Thor!" Jane cried, running into the Bifrost.

Aurora opened her eyes and watched through tears as Thor lifted Jane into the air and kissed her.

Loki placed her on the ground taking her face into his hands. His eyes searched her for any sign of illness. "Can this be? You are here in front of me?" He whispered. "I thought you dead."

Aurora nodded, nuzzling his palm with her cheek. "You came back..." She cried.

"Nothing in all the realms could have kept me away." He said. His hand slid down to her swollen belly and he looked down, then up again in surprise as the baby kicked. Aurora laughed through her tears.

"My sons have returned!" Everyone turned to face Odin and the Queen as they stood beaming in the doorway. A crowd had gathered behind them, cheering. "Prepare the feasting hall at once!"

Loki released his grip on Aurora and walked around to where he'd entered the Bifrost. Kneeling, he scooped Una's limp body into his arms and stood once more. "Forgive me father, but I must get her to a healer."

"It shall be done." Odin clanged Gungir on the ground. Two einherjar stepped forward and took her from Loki.

"I would prefer to take her myself." Loki insisted.

Odin's brow furrowed. "She will be well tended, I assure you. Now, let us move this reunion to the feast hall."

Loki felt Aurora's eyes on him as he watched the two soldiers escorting Una to the healers ward.

OoOoOo

Everyone sat at the large table in the dining hall chatting animatedly amongst themselves and listening as the two princes told the tales of their travels. Odin and Frigga sat at the head of the table, looking down with smiles at everyone as they spoke.

"I must admit brother, you had me quite nervous in Helheim." Thor said.

Loki laughed. "I myself was quite nervous."

"Yes, how did you manage to escape that wretched place?" Fandral asked, stroking his mustache.

"A Svartalf trapping spell and some rather choice words." Loki replied.

"Not the same one you used on Thor?" Frigga asked.

"The very same." He answered. Frigga burst out laughing. Odin's lips turned up at the corners and his shoulders shook in a silent chuckle.

Volstagg held up a large fowl leg as he spoke. "I heard there was a rather unfortunate encounter with a river wurm!"

Loki lifted the glass to his lips, pausing to glance at Aurora. "Unfortunate indeed. Thor tells it in much better detail, I'm sure."

"Largest river wurm I have ever seen!" Thor bellowed, tossing his mug over his shoulder. Jane winced as it shattered, but smiled as he retold the story.

 Loki smiled down at Aurora as she listened to every word, not missing the way she balked when he described the features of the beast.

"Had it not been for Una, I believe the outcome would have played out very differently." Loki said.

"Who is Una?" Sif asked.

Loki set his glass down and wiped his mouth. "She is a light elf from Alfheim. It was her magic that saved me from the wurm's venom. Had she not followed us into the forest, I would be dead. I owe her a great debt."

"She is the girl with you in the Bifrost." Aurora said.

Loki nodded, taking her hand in his. "We first encountered her in Alfheim, she was working in the market place. She offered some information that proved most valuable, inevitably leading us to the Tree of Eternity."

"But what happened to her?" Jane asked.

Thor meet Loki's eyes from across the table. "That is a tale for another time, I'm afraid." Thor said. "It has been a long journey and we are tired."

Loki cleared his throat. "Before we retire, I have something I would like to say if I may."

Everyone's chatter died down and Odin nodded to him.

"I've known most of you my entire life. As most of you know, I've much to atone for. There is very little that I can do or say to even begin that atonement. But as I stand here, I would ask your forgiveness. As I would ask for Aurora's hand. That is, if she will have me." He looked down at her. Immediately the table erupted into a mass of noise as everyone began to speak at once.

Aurora stared up at him, her mouth hanging open in shock. Glancing across the table, Jane sat with a huge grin, staring at her with twinkling eyes. She gave a little flick of her fingers, silently urging her to reply.

There was a loud bang as Odin slammed his hand down on the table. "I believe my son has more to say."

The noise died down and Loki continued, lowering himself to his knees. He took her hands in his. "Aurora, you are the one person who saw good in me. You saw it when I was unable to see it myself. You made me want to be a better man and I've found the only way that I can do that is with you by my side forever. Without you I am truly nothing. There is no place for me in this world except by your side." The last sentence was spoken barely above a whisper.

Aurora's hands began to tremble and her heart began to race. 'Please don't let me pass out...Please!' She thought frantically. The hall was so quiet you could hear a pin drop and she could feel the weight of everyone's eyes on her. She shook her head as if to clear her thoughts and smiled. "What took you so long, Mr. Green?" She forced out. "I though you'd never ask."

Loki laughed while everyone else watched with confusion at their inside joke. He stood and wrapped his arms around her, kissing her deeply.

Frigga smiled and dabbed at her eyes with her handkerchief. "We have much to prepare for then." She said.

Loki looked up at her, smiling wider. "Mother, Father. We wish to be wed as soon as possible. Tomorrow wouldn't be soon enough." He said, meeting Aurora's gaze. She nodded in agreement, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

"Very well then." Odin stood, head held high. "Loki, would you die for this woman?" His voice echoed loudly of the marble walls.

"I would. I actually think I have....twice in fact." Loki replied, eliciting laughter from the guests.

"Would you die for this man?" Odin asked Aurora.

Aurora looked up at Loki. "I would."

"Then I, Odin, All-Father, now proclaim you man and wife. Let no man, from any realm, undo what has been done here today. From this day forth, your souls are bound to one another."

Loki looked down at Aurora and she laughed. Standing on her tip toes, she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down into a long kiss. The guests broke out into cheers and all around glasses could be heard shattering in rejoice.

"Music!" Someone shouted. Music began to play and guests all around began to dance.

"Let the husband and wife dance!" Volstagg shouted as he danced past with Sif.

"I believe my wife and I should retire for the evening." Loki replied.

"Best idea you've had all night...husband." Aurora laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! They're married!! Comments please!