To Roam Into the Unknown

The End

The throne room was once more filled with the citizens off Asgard, all staring in anticipation at the event unfolding before them.

Aurora knelt before the feet of the All Father. He silenced the crowd with a single hand in the air. "We have been blessed twice today. First, with the birth of my granddaughter, Mýrún..." at the announcement of the child's name, the crowd roared joyously. Odin raised his hand after a moment and the noise died down. "And with the resurrection of my daughter, the Princess Aurora." The crowd clapped and cheered.

"It is with great honor and pride that I bestow upon her the gift of healing in the realm Eternal,"he paused and looked over at Loki who held his had high, eyes shining with happiness. Loki glanced up and made eye contact with his father. "And proclaim her Aurora, Goddess of Life and Rebirth. Rise my dear."

Aurora looked up, unsure if she'd heard correctly. Loki stepped forward and took her hand, helping her to her feet. She stumbled slightly, landing against Loki's chest. She pressed her forehead against his chest and closed her eyes.

"Turn and look at your people my love." He whispered, tilting her chin up. Aurora looked up at him and felt a sudden surge of power. She stood up straight and he grabbed her hand tightly, lifting it into the air as she turned to face the people.

"The Goddess of Life and Rebirth!!" Loki cried.

The crowd went wild with cheers and Aurora smiled.

OoOoOo

The fog horn bellowed from the harbor just as the twin suns were peeking over the horizon. Loki stood on the balcony, looking out over the kingdom. The child in his arms stirred quietly and he looked down. Mýrún slept soundly, wrapped in emerald and gold cloth. At that moment, he was struck with a sense of de ja vu, but was nevertheless undeniably at peace. Something he was certain he'd never have again.

Aurora rolled onto her stomach and opened her eyes when she felt Loki's absence. She pushed herself up and brushed her hair out of her face. "Is everything ok?" She asked.

Loki looked over at her and smiled. He wore a simple white tunic with black trousers. His hair was brushed back and his facial hair neatly groomed. "I was just sharing the sunrise with her." He replied.

Aurora stood and wrapped her robe around her and joined him on the balcony. She peered over his arm. "How long have you been awake with her?"

"I lost track truthfully. She cried for a bit sometime ago, so I stayed up with her." He said quietly.

"Why didn't you wake me up? I would have stayed up with her."

"It's alright. You were sleeping so well." Loki glanced up at her. "Anyway, Mýrún and I had a nice time together. We toured the gardens and she's had her bath and now...She seems a bit worn out."

Aurora smiled and stroked the baby's cheek. "She'll be hungry soon..."

Loki turned and carried the baby inside, laying her in her cradle by their bed. "Until then, she'll be alright. Shall I call for breakfast?"

Aurora sat on the lounge on the balcony. "Yes. I'm starving."

Loki opened the door and left the breakfast request with one of the guards, then returned to the balcony, sitting next to his wife. Aurora snuggled against his chest and began to trace circles on the exposed skin of his chest.

"What are you thinking My love?" He asked.

"I'm just amazed."

Loki chuckled, resting his chin on the top of her head. "About what?"

"About everything, Loki. From the moment I met you, my life has been a whirlwind. Never did I think in my wildest of dreams that I would be here, now. With you...a mother...and a goddess." She said, sending little wisps of golden light into the air with her fingertips.

"Is that such a bad thing?" He whispered.

"Absolutely not! I'm happy. Happier than I ever thought I could be. It just-" she paused, searching for the right words. "Seems like something is lurking around the corner, waiting to destroy the happiness we've found. You told me yourself you'd pissed a lot of people off."

Loki ran a hand through her hair. "Yes I told you that. And while I have done so, I will do everything in my power to ensure the safety of you and our daughter. Come now, smile for me darling. It's a glorious day and we've a long happy life to live." He tilted her chin towards him. "Give us a kiss."

Aurora closed her eyes, waiting for his lips to meet hers when there was a knock at the door. Loki sighed and pressed his forehead to hers. "Ignore it." She whispered. He went to kids her and was once more interrupted by the knock, this time a bit more forceful.

Loki growled. "YES? WHAT IS IT?!" Loki bellowed.

Aurora swatted at his arm. "Shhh Loki, you'll wake the baby!" She hissed.

The door opened and a healer walked in with two guards. Loki stood, Aurora following him. "What is the meaning of this?"

The healer and guards bowed. "My Prince, your presence is required in the healing ward."

"For what reason?" Loki asked.

"The Elven girl has woken." The healer replied.

Loki's eyes narrowed. "Una? You're certain?"

"I am, my Lord."

Loki looked at Aurora. "Go. I'll be here when you get back." She said. Loki leaned down and gave her a soft kiss.

"I certainly hope so. I love you sweetling." He whispered before exiting with the healer.

OoOoOo

Eir looked up from the soul forge as Loki entered. "Prince Loki. How do you fare?"

"The Norns have seen fit to bless me with another day. I was told Una has woken." He replied

"Yes. She is awake, but weak. The blade punctured some very vital organs. I fear she would have died if you hadn't cast the spell that you did."

Loki bowed his head slightly. "It was the only thing I could do. It was by my hand that she was injured."

"I understand it was an unfortunate accident, you should not judge yourself so harshly."

"May I see her?" He asked.

"But of course. If you would send Yana to me. I have a few errands for her. She can tend to the child later."

Loki nodded slightly and quietly strode past her. He slipped into her room, closing the thick wooden door as gently as possible. The healer Yana turned and bowed upon seeing him.

"Forgive me my Prince, I did not hear you enter." She said.

Loki motioned for her to rise. "Eir has requested your service."Yana curtsied and exited the room without another word.

Loki stood at the base of the bed starting at the girl. If it were any more possible, her complexion was much more pale than he remembered. She had dark shadows under her eyes and her once silvery hair was dull and looked almost gray. If it were not for the faint rise and fall of her chest, he'd believe her to be dead. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "I'm so sorry, Una." He whispered.

"You are too hard on yourself my Prince." She croaked. Her eyes opened into thin slits.

"I fear I've not been hard enough. This was all my fault." He replied.

She chuckled, but it soon turned into a cough. She winced, grabbing her abdomen. "Was your blade enchanted?"

"It was. So that a single scratch would stop an attacker. It slowed the healing process and sped up the bleeding. Una, I swear to you it was not my intention to ham you." He sat on a stool next to her.

"If anything, the fault was mine for sneaking up on you. I should have made myself known. I just wasn't sure it was you." She signaled for a glass of water

"Why were you there?" He asked, holding the glass to her lips. He waited patiently as she drank.

"I told you. I wanted to see you one more time. And Hel is a place that many enter, but none escape. I couldn't let you walk into a trap. What would have happened to your wife? I know of hidden paths between realms and I wanted to make you aware of them."

Loki smiled at her. "It truly amazes me all the good I see in people. You know who I am and what I've done, why did you help me? Why didn't you run?"

"It is not in my nature. Your wife knew of the things you did and still she loved you. And if she is someone that you're willing to die for, then I trust her judgement. If I make it out of here alive, I am yours to command. I will stand by you and your wife, if you'll allow it."

Loki brushed her hair back and kissed her forehead. "You've saved my life more than once. My home is your home, if you'll forgive me."

Una smiled. "My Lord there is nothing to forgive."

He chuckled. "My first command is that you drop the formalities. I am simply Loki."

OoOoOo

Days faded into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. Asgardians age at a much slower rate than humans, so fifty or so years later, Mýrún appeared to be only eight in Midgardian age.

She ran along the halls of the palace, blonde curls bouncing wildly. Una watched as she ran towards

"You mustn't run young one! Remember your manners!" She called after her.

Mýrún paid no mind as she shoved through the doors of her parents rooms. "Father!"

Loki turned from his place on the balcony and smiled. "Sæhildr and Berghildr are ready?"

Mýrún stopped in the sitting room and stared at Loki. "How did you know?"

He descended the balcony steps slowly and chuckled. "Sweetling, there isn't much that I do not know. Where is your mother?"

"I thought there wasn't much you didn't know?" Mýrún said.

Loki lifted her into his arms and began to tickle her. "You have your mother's wit!" He said through her screams and giggles. "I'll ask once more-where is your mother?"

"S-she's with A-Auron in the nursery!" She screeched. Loki set her down and allowed her to pull him down the hall. She pushed through the doors and waltzed into the nursery.

"Mýrún, you must remember to knock my love." Loki whispered.

Aurora sat by the balcony, chatting quietly with Frigga, holding a tiny bundle to her breast.

Frigga looked up and smiled. "Mýrún, Loki, what adventures will you be pursuing today?"

Aurora smiled as Mýrún skipped over to her. "Ma ma, Father is taking me riding today!"

Aurora looked up at Loki. "He is, is he?"

Mýrún nodded, sending her golden curls flying.

"Oh Mýrún, you'll ruin your dress..." Frigga stated.

Mýrún waved her hand over her dress which was instantly transformed into a green tunic and black pair of pants with riding boots to match. Loki's heart swelled with pride at his daughter's apparent natural magical talent.

"You've been practicing!" Frigga replied with a clap.

Loki smiled and walked over to Aurora, kneeling next to her. He gently reached over and stroked Auron's tiny nose. The baby twitched in his slumber, but did not wake. He had a full head of black hair.

"How are you my love?" He asked.

Aurora looked up at him, squeezing his cool hand gently. "Much better today, thank you. Please be careful with her Loki, this isn't like the time you taught her to levitate, is it?"

Loki laughed.

"Loki I'm serious! It took her forever to get over her fear of falling. And Berghildr is much higher up than she was when she fell." Aurora said.

"All will be well, dearest, I swear it. If she is anything like you, she will do just fine." He said

Aurora snorted. "There's that silver tongue I've missed." She kissed his hand.

"Where is Thor?" He asked.

"Waiting on Jane's every call. He has apparently taken a lesson from you and is ever the doting husband." Frigga replied.

Loki laughed. "How is lady Jane?"

"She's due any day now. Everyone is on stand by." Aurora said.

"Including you?" He asked.

"Especially me goober!" She said. "I'd like to think I know a thing or two about birthing children."

Loki chuckled and planted a kiss on top of her head. "Come, Mýrún. The world awaits." He lifted her into his arms and they made their way out to the stables.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, life happens. Eventually, There will be a sequel. But I have a few other stories that I'm considering first. I want to thank punkrockandhockey, SpencerG, broken_city_sky, kaitkryptonite, Dancing.With.Myself, Doctor.Vengeance. You guys have been through this with me from the beginning and truthfully are the reasons I continued writing it. Thanks for all of your input and I hope the next story will live up to your standards!!