To Roam Into the Unknown

Adjusting

“This is home…sorry, it‘s not really wheelchair-friendly…” she said, walking through the doorway. Loki limped in hesitantly, looking around the room. The foyer opened into a living room whose walls were painted a pale blue. A large oak fireplace rested in the middle the wall, above which hung a very large black television. Two windows on either side of the fireplace reached from the floor to just below the ten foot vaulted ceiling.

“Its so…clean…” he said.

“Ha! Yeah…I tend to clean when I’m stressed.” she set her keys down on the table in the foyer, watching him as he looked around. ‘The clothes fit him well…’ she mused.

He felt tired from the pain medicine and looked for somewhere to sit. “Might I lie down for a bit?” he asked. Aurora snapped out of her little trance.

“Of course! Here…” she took him by the arm and led him into the living room. “You can rest here for now. I haven’t had a chance to ready the guest room.” she motioned to the large brown leather couch. Loki eased himself down, wincing slightly as a sharp pain shot through his leg.

“Are you alright?” she asked. He nodded, laying his head back slowly as the pain began to subside.

“Are you hungry? Can I get you a drink?”

He held up his hand. “No thank you. You have already done too much. I will be alright. You should get some rest.” he said.

Aurora bit her bottom lip as she stood before him, suddenly aware of her fatigue. “My room is just up there…” she pointed to the loft to the right of the fireplace. “If you need me, call…” she stifled a yawn, turning to walk up the stairs.

“Aurora?” he called.

She paused at the first step and looked over her shoulder. “Yes?”

“I…only wanted to give you my thanks.” he said, his lips turning up at the corners in a fain smile.

“You’re welcome, Loki.” They stared at one another, each waiting for the other to continue the conversation. Aurora cleared her throat. “The uh…bathroom is right through this hallway, first door on the left. The kitchen is behind you, if you get hungry. Oh and the glasses-”

“Aurora. Go to sleep.” Loki interrupted. She smiled and nodded, walking up the stairs.

He lay his head back on the pillows, watching the setting sun cast shadows on the walls. A light clicked on in the loft, catching his eye. He could see her shadow moving about the room. He forced his eyes shut, not feeling entirely comfortable “watching” her.

His mind was racing. He didn’t know exactly what to think about the events that had befallen him. His last visit to Earth, he had seen nothing but weakness. Ants scurrying to save themselves from the boot that was his army. He had cared nothing for anyone and was convinced that no one had cared for him.

He had lost everything the day he and Thor had gone to Jotunheim. His sense of being, his family, his mind. He had let anger and jealousy envelop him, eager to prove that he could be the better son. And where had it gotten him? Banished. Forced to live amongst those he hated so much. At least after Jotunheim he was still welcomed with open arms from his family.

Now though, he felt lost. Truly lost. Thor with all his glory and pride, still held Loki to heart as his brother, no matter his crimes. Now, he had nothing. Not even a stitch of clothing was his. He had no money.

The anger and rage that had fueled him for so long was now but a memory, like a bad dream that lingers long after waking. He was tired of the anger. Tired of the rage. Aurora stirred something in him. She was unlike anyone he’d ever met. Unknowingly, she dangled hope over his head. Hope that the humans were not as weak and horrid as he’d allowed himself to believe.

Cracking his eyes open slightly, he could just make out the silhouette of her leaning against the wooden railing of the loft, looking down at him. Her hair was piled on top of her head, wavy strands falling around her face. She was in a white sleeveless shirt with a pair of black shorts on.

He couldn’t help but stare at her, his eyes still slightly closed. She was beautiful, there was no denying. And she didn’t seem like one to put up with his high and mighty antics. This realization ignited a fire in his chest, a smile threatening his mouth.

Without a word, Aurora pulled the curtains to her loft shut. A moment later, the light clicked off.

Loki rolled onto his side, and was about to doze off when the soft sound of music filled the air. Smiling to himself, he allowed the music to lull him into a dreamless sleep.

OoOoOoOo


Loki woke from his most peaceful sleep since his first night on Earth to the smell of something delicious. Opening his eyes, he stopped mid-stretch. A gray and white striped cat sat perched on his chest, judging him with bright green eyes.

“Umm…hello…” he said, gently scratching its head.

“Jinx! No.” Aurora walked into the living room, a dish rag hanging over her left shoulder. The cat immediately jumped off his chest and ran up the stairs. “I’m sorry. She’s a covert snuggler. Good morning.”

Loki sat up and yawned. “Good morning.” he said, giving her a grin.

“I’ve made breakfast, if you’re hungry…” she pointed behind her to the kitchen.

He moved as if to brush his hair back, but remembered quickly that it was no longer there. “Famished. You really shou-”

“Shouldn’t have. I know. But I did.” she flashed him a bright smile. “So come into the kitchen and have some before it gets cold.”

He chuckled and reached for his cane, setting his jaw at the sudden pain that reminded him of his mortality. Aurora moved to help him, taking his arm gently.

“I’m fine!” he snapped angrily, pulling his arm away. She held her hands up, but stood close in case he lost balance. He stood, leaning his weight on the unaffected leg, and immediately, felt sorry for his outburst. “I’m sorry, Aurora.”

“Its alright. It‘s a normal reaction to pain.” she said walking into the kitchen.

He took his seat at the dark oak table. The area was large. There was no actual divider between the kitchen and the dinning room. The cabinets on either side of the stove were a dark oak. Behind the stove, the wall was decorated by a colorful tile mosaic. To the right of the stove was a deep sink, a small window right above it. Plants decorated the window sill. To the left of the stove was a glass door which led out onto a small patio.

Aurora stood at the long granite-topped island in the middle of the kitchen, slicing some berries. “I went to the market, while you were asleep and picked up a few things.” she laid the knife down and wiped her hands on the towel.

“What sort of things?” Loki asked, his mouth watering as the smell of the food fully hit him.

She picked up two plates and walked to the table. “Toiletries.” she set a steaming plate in front of him. “You know? Tooth brush, deodorant, soap.” she looked at his growing beard and sat down across from him. “A razor…shaving cream…”

He laughed. “This is…too much.” he picked up the fork, staring down at the food. “What is it?”

Aurora’s mouth opened in surprise. “Don’t tell me. You don’t have bacon or eggs on Asgard.” He looked at her, giving a small shrug in response.

“Holy crap.” she leaned on the table with her elbow, fork dangling between her fingers. She threw her other hand up, as if signaling for him to eat. “Well, dig in. I hope you like it.” she shoved a piece of bacon in her mouth.

Loki, unwilling to seem skeptical, followed suite and bit into a crispy bacon strip. The wonderful taste sent his salivary glands into overdrive. He looked up at her, eyes wide.

Aurora laughed, covering her mouth with her hand. “Its even better with syrup.” she said between bites.

“What is it?” Loki asked, his cheek poking out with the bacon he had practically inhaled.

Syrup!” she poured some over her French toast and remaining bacon. “It’s sweet.”

He picked up the familiar paper cup. “Coffee…” he said, taking a drink.

Aurora smiled, watching him as he tried the eggs, French toast, and then the fruit. “This is unlike anything I have had before…” he said, wiping his mouth.

Aurora tossed a strawberry into her mouth. “What is the food like in Asgard?” she asked.

He smiled. “Not like this. Never like this.” Aurora nodded in approval. The grandfather clock in the foyer chimed, signaling 10:00.

She wiped her mouth and finished the remainder of her coffee. “Would you like a bath?” she asked. “Well, shower. The only bathtub is upstairs.”

Loki balled up his napkin and dropped it on the empty plate. “A shower?”

“You know. The water falls down out of the shower head?” his brow furrowed and she sighed. “It’s like being under a waterfall.”

“Oh…yes of course. That would be quite nice, actually.”

“When you are ready, just let me know. I have some more of Chris’ clothes that you can have.” she sat back in the wooden chair, one knee pulled up to her chest.

“You have more of his clothes?” he asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Yes, and you are more than welcome to him. He can more than afford more.” she said.

“Did he live here?” he asked. Aurora shook her head, sipping her coffee.

“He stayed here a few nights. He left the clothes here just in case he ever needed them.” she replied.

“In case of what?” he asked.

“The physical therapist will be here around noon for your first session.” Aurora said, changing the subject.

“And what will that entail?” he asked, leaning back against his seat.

“They are going to focus on building up the strength in your leg with exercises. I have to warn you, it’s not going to be easy.” she said, standing up.

“One thing you should know about me…” he looked up at her as she took his plate. “Not much in my life has been easy.”

“Well, maybe we can change some of that.” she said, dumping the dished into the sink. She rinsed her hands and shook off the excess water.

“I should think I’d like to have that bath now…” he replied.

OoOoOoOo


The doorbell chimed. “One second!” Aurora came bounding down the stairs and opened the door.

“Hi! Sam Jenson with Pacific PT.” He was tall man with shaggy blonde hair. His eyes were a deep hazel, a pair of black framed glasses perched on his nose.

Aurora shook his extended hand. “Aurora Moreau. Come in.” she opened the door, allowing him entry. “You can set up in the living room…” she said, leading the way.

“And the patient is…” he looked down at his clipboard.

“Loki.” Aurora and Sam turned at the sound of his voice behind them. “Loki Laufeyson…” Loki said.

Aurora’s mouth dropped open slightly. Loki stood in a white t-shirt and pair of black track pants. His face freshly shaven, a neatly groomed goatee in place of the shaggy beard.

“You clean up well..” she said, smiling. “This is Sam, he’s your physical therapist.” she walked up to him and gave his arm a gentle poke. “Do what he asks and be nice. I’m going to go for a run.” she said.

OoOoOoOo


Fourty-five minutes later….

“You can’t just punch someone and not expect to get punched back.” Aurora said, holding a tissue to Loki’s bloody nose. He lay on the couch, his head tilted back, staring at her.

“The man doesn’t know what he is doing. He was hurting me.” he snapped.

“He was helping you. That is physical therapy. Sometimes it’s going to hurt. But you can’t punch someone just because they hurt you.” she scolded.

“Self defense.” he replied.

“He didn’t attack you. You attacked him.” she tossed the tissues into a plastic shopping bag. “Does it hurt?”

“Of course it hurts. He hit me in my nose!” Aurora pinched either side of his nose a wiggled it. “Are you quite mad?!” he yelled.

“It’s not broken.” she said. He glared at her. “What?”

“That hurt.” he said, sticking another tissue up his nose.

“Are you going to hit me?” she asked. Loki suddenly felt like a child again, being scolded by his nurse.

“I would never.” he said.

“Damn right you would never.” she handed him a pack of frozen peas. “Put this against your face. It should help with the swelling.” He took the bag, gingerly placing it against his face.

Aurora grabbed the remote control and turned on the television, plopping down next to him on the couch.

“Did he say if he would be coming back?” she asked.

“Friday.” Loki replied.

Aurora pursed her lips as she flipped through the channels. “Did you break his glasses?”

“Indeed I did.” he said, almost triumphantly.

She forced back the smile that fought its way to her lips as she settled for the movie Moulin Rouge.