To Roam Into the Unknown

First Aid

Nearly two weeks passed.

Aurora and Loki had developed a routine. They ate breakfast together every morning, talking about anything that came to mind. Loki had finally become compliant with the physical therapist and was responding well to the treatment. While he was working out, Aurora would go for her usual 45 minute run. After exercising, the two would either plant themselves on the couch, have lunch and watch movies or they would sit out on her back deck, facing the Harbor where they would talk for hours. Then she would cook dinner, they would sit on the deck or at the table and talk more.

Today, Aurora sat with the pillow to her chest, tears filling her eyes as Ewan McGregor clutched the dead body of Nicole Kidman to his chest.

Hearing a sniffle, Loki looked over at her. “Why are you crying?” he asked, his eyebrow arched.

Aurora wiped her eyes on her sleeve. “Its just so sad…he loved her so much and..then she died! I only wish I knew love like that.” she squeaked.

Staring at her as though she had suddenly sprouted another head. “Well none of it would have happened if she’d have just run away with him when he asked. Women have to make things so difficult.” he said, handing her a tissue.

“And men will never understand.” she replied, standing up. “Would you like some lunch?” she asked.

The very thought of food sent his stomach grumbling and his mouth watering. “Yes please.”

OoOoOoOo


They sat next to one another on the couch as Last of the Mohicans played on the tv, empty bowls on the side table. Loki had his bad leg propped up on the ottoman, hands behind his head. Glancing over to his right, Aurora dozed, curled up in a ball, her arm tucked under her head. He felt a twitch at the corners of his mouth as he realized she was mouthing the words to the movie.

He looked to his left, out the window. The sun was beginning to set, casting a golden glow on the walls. “Aurora?”

“Hmm?”

“Why don’t you go to sleep?” he asked.

She yawned and stretched her arms above her head. “No. I still need to get your room ready…” she replied, standing up.

“I assure you, it isn’t necessary-” He stopped mid sentence as she held up her hand.

“It wont take long. You need a proper area to rest. The couch really isn’t all that comfortable. You tossed and turned all night.” She picked up their bowls.

“How do you know that?” He asked. She paused.

“I’m a nurse. I watch over my patients.” she said, giving him a tired smile before she entered the kitchen. He listened to the clattering of dishes in the sink and sighed.

“I wish I could help you. I feel completely useless.” he called over his shoulder.

“You shouldn’t talk like that. You’re not useless. You’re keeping me company.” she replied.

Loki stood, taking a moment to right himself, grabbed his cane, and then limped into the kitchen. Aurora stood at the sink, scrubbing the dishes. He walked next to her and without a word, began to rinse the soapy dishes.

Aurora glanced at him and smiled. “Thank you.”

“Well it’s the least I could do, given your extreme generosity towards a complete stranger.” he said.

“We are better acquainted than you think, Loki.” she said, scrubbing a pan.

“How so?”

“I have watched over you since the day they found you.” she said.

“What happened to me?” he asked, glancing at her.

She looked out the small window. “You walked out in front of a car. You went up over the hood and landed on your head…did you not see it coming?” she asked, looking at him.

He took the pan from her hands, rinsed it and began to dry it. “No…”

“I had been on my way to leave for the night when I got the call to come to the ER. They pulled you off the ambulance and I honestly thought you were not going to make it.” she began to wash some cups. “You started to seize. After we got you stabilized, we checked you again for further wounds. You had a brain injury and your leg was broken. You had cuts and scrapes all over your body.” she shook her head slowly, looking down at the cups as she scrubbed them. “There was so much blood…and the one thing that stood out against all of it were your eyes. They were so incredibly green.” she glanced up to see him watching her.

He took the cup from her hand and rinsed it.

“It’s been 72 days since you and I unofficially met.” she said, moving on to the next glass.

“I knew your voice. I remember that. The one thing that brought me out of the blackness, was your voice.”

Aurora gasped and jerked her hand away from the sink. “Shit!”

“What happened??” he asked.

She clutched her right hand to her chest, blood seeping through her fingers.

“What did you do?” he asked.

She stared up at the ceiling, breathing deep, her nostrils flared. “I cut my hand!” she said through clenched teeth, hoping back and forth on either foot.

“Let’s have a look.” he said, reaching for her hand. She let him take her hand, but wouldn’t open it. He looked at her. “I can’t see how bad it is if you don’t open your hand.”

“Ooooh it’s bad, I can tell.” she said, breathing deep.

“Just open your hand.” he said, giving her a stern look.

She closed her eyes and reluctantly opened her clenched fist. Blood poured down her hand, dripping on the floor. Loki examined it closely. “I don’t see anything in it…wait…” he carefully pinched a jagged piece of glass with his thumb and forefinger and gave it a quick yank.

The movement took Aurora by surprise and she screamed, snatched her hand back and shook it flinging blood all over his shirt. “Holy Mother fffffuuuuuuu-”

The doorbell rang. Loki pulled the dish rag from his shoulder and wrapped it around her hand. The doorbell rang again.

“I will get it…” he said. She bit her bottom lip and nodded, still hopping from foot to foot.

Loki hobbled to the door and pulled it open.

“What the hell??” Chris stood on the stoop, flowers in hand.

Immediately Loki felt irritated.

“Are those my clothes?” He did a double take.

Loki glanced down at his white, blood spattered shirt.

“Is that blood??” Chris demanded. Letting the flowers fall to the ground, he pulled Loki up by his shirt. “What the fuck have you done?!”

“Aurora cut herself-” before he could finish the sentence, Chris’ fist collided with his jaw, sending him sprawling back into the foyer.

Loki pushed himself up, the taste of blood filling his mouth. Before he could attempt to stand, Chris hit him again.

“Where is she??” he yelled.

Aurora came running into the hallway to the scene of the two men trading punches on the hardwood floor. “CHRIS!! Jesus!” she grabbed him by the shoulders and pulled him back. “What is wrong with you??” she screamed kneeling next to Loki, whose eyes were glinting with fury.

He yanked her to her feet, noting the blood spattered on her clothes. “Are you OK?? Did he hurt you?!” he asked.

“YOU ARE WAY TOO PROTECTIVE! I cut my hand on some glass, Chris!” she held up her bloodied hand, shoved him back and knelt once more by Loki.

Chris stared down at Loki, meeting his angry gaze with his own. He pointed down at him. “If you ever lay a hand on her-”

“Chris! Leave!” Aurora yelled. Chris opened his mouth as if to speak further but she stood and gave him a violent shove. “GET OUT!!” she screamed, slamming the door in his face. She stood against the door, catching her breath.

Loki’s bottom lip was split. Blood trickled from his nose.

“Loki are you alright?” she asked, grabbing his arm. He stared at her angrily.

“I am fine.” he said.

She gripped his upper left arm and helped him off the floor. “Come on. We can bandage each other up.” she put his arm over her shoulders, wrapped her arm around his waist and together they limped to the bathroom.

“He seems a bit…” Loki tried to find the right words. “Possessive…”

Aurora flicked on the bathroom light with her elbow. “Have a seat.” she said, gesturing to the closed toilet.

Loki sighed heavily as he sat down. He watched as Aurora reached under the cabinet sink and retrieved a small white box.

“Is your face a magnet for fists??” she asked.

He gave a small chuckle. “It would seem.”

She knelt in front of him. “I’m really sorry…” she said, wiping away the blood from his nose with a cotton ball.

“For?”

“Chris. I’ve never seen him like this…” she said, tossing the soiled swab in the trash. She grabbed another cotton ball and began dabbing at his split lip.

“He must really care about you.” he said. Aurora snorted.

“There was never anything special between Chris and I. At least I never thought there was.” Loki winced slightly as she wiped some antiseptic over the small cut. She sighed. “Chris and I had a physical relationship. When it was convenient. We agreed there would be no strings attached and when one wanted to stop the other would be ok with that.” Loki listened as she spoke, watching her intently.

“I never wanted a relationship with him.” she said.

“You? Who craves the kind of love that makes you swoon in the movies?” he asked, smirking.

She smiled. “It would never be like that with Chris. He’s too in love with himself.” she paused thoughtfully, then shook her head. “He isn’t who I imagine when I think of my love life.”

“Who do you imagine?” he asked. Aurora shrugged her shoulders and tossed the cotton ball into the trash.

“I don’t know. But definitely not him. All done.” she said.

Loki stood, his 6’2 frame towering over her petite 5’5. He looked down at her and gently took her injured hand in his. “Let’s have a look at that hand…”

Aurora sat down, wincing as he unwrapped the towel acting as a makeshift bandage. Ignoring the pain, he knelt before her and began examining the wound.

“It looks fairly deep.” He reached to his right, turned on the faucet of the sink and wet the towel.

Aurora sighed. “It’s probably going to need stitches.”

Loki gently began to wipe away the blood that had dried on her hand and around the wound. “I’m sorry if this hurts…” he said when she jerked slightly.

She shook her head. “I’m just a baby when it comes to my own blood…” He reached for the bottle of peroxide she had used on him and felt her tense in his grip.

She took a deep breath. “Just do it quick…” she said, squeezing her eyes shut. He poured the liquid over the cut. Aurora sucked in a deep breath and blew it out slowly, tapping her foot as a distraction.

“What now?” he asked, dabbing at the cut with the cloth.

“We need to bandage it. The bandages and wraps are in that box…” she said. Loki reached over and pulled a bandage wrap from the box, silently wrapping it around her hand. When he was finished, he rested his hands on his knees and looked up at her.

“All finished.” he said. Aurora smiled, flexing her hand.

“Not too bad for a man from Asgard.” she replied. She stood, grabbed Loki’s arm and helped him stand. “I promise I will have you a proper bed to sleep in tomorrow…”

They walked down the hallway into the living room. It was completely dark outside. The only light in the room was the glow of the tv.

Loki eased himself on the couch.

Aurora pulled the curtains closed. “Goodnight, Loki.”

He watched as she made her way to the stairs. “Good night Aurora.”