Sequel: Twice Baked
Status: Comment, subscribe, reccomend <3

Please Remember Me

This Little Light of Mine

Walking into the room, I felt my burden get heavier with each step. I saw that the curtain was pulled back hiding whatever was in the room. I stood outside it for at least ten minutes trying to build the strength to face what was waiting for me behind it. I wasn’t sure what condition I would find him in, and as much as I needed to see how he was, I couldn’t pull back the thin sheet separating me from reality. Before I could pull back the curtain, I was overwhelmed by sudden flashback.

Patrice and I were making rounds about the children’s hospital passing out presents from the bruin’s foundation. It was amazing how the kids lit up when they saw Patrice walk in, I always thought I was the only one who did that. We walked in to a little boys room only to find bruins memorabilia hanging up on the walls. The sweet little boy lay there in his bed while his mom rubbed his head. You could tell by his coloring that he was going through chemotherapy. It made me think back to when Emma had cancer back in college. She moved in with me and I had taken care of her. It broke my heart to see this poor little boy suffering through this.

He still layed there in the bed not realizing we were even in the room yet, Patrice took the opportunity to crouch beside his bed.

The mother smiled at the little boy and said in a soft voice, “Bobby someone’s here to see you.”

Bobby rolled over weakly to see what his mom was talking about. The moment he caught eyes with Patrice a smile grew instantly on his face, “Hey!” He said in the most enthusiastic tone he could muster.

“Hi Bobby, I got your letter the other day and just had to come down here to see how your treatment’s going.” Patrice said smiling kindly at the boy.

“You got my letter?” The boy asked amazed.

“It’s hanging on my fridge, just ask my girlfriend.” Patrice said motioning for me to come over.

I inconspicuously wiped the tears from my eyes so no one would notice and walked over to the bed. “It’s true, even the picture you drew is up there.” I said smiling at bobby whose smile couldn’t get any bigger.

“My treatments been going really well.” He said excitedly, “mommy gets nervous about all of it, but I know it’s only gonna make me better and let me go home in time for Christmas.”

“Maybe once you’re done with all of the treatments you and your Mommy can come watch Patrice play at the Garden with me.” I offered smiling at him.

“YOU MEAN IT?!?” Bobby said jumping up from his reclined position.

“Of course, I wouldn’t want to watch the game with anybody else, and I know Pat would score a hat trick just for you kiddo.” I said running my hand over his baldhead softly.

Bobby blushed and hid his face with his blanket, “Bergy your girlfriend is so niiiice, you’re lucky just like my daddy is. He met Mommy when He was my age!”

Patrice wrapped his arm around me as he continued talking with Bobby. I kept quiet for the most part, as I watched Patrice interact with all the kids. It was probably the most attractive thing I had ever seen. Patrice was a natural.

The nurse came in to give Bobby his treatment, so Patrice and I said goodbye and promised to come back soon. Bobby even made Patrice to bring me with him the next time.


Remembering that little boy’s braveness gave me the courage, I needed to pull back the curtain. When I did, the sight I saw was enough to make me cry. I nurse was making up a bed, this whole time I was standing here like a frightened child and Patrice wasn’t here. He was alone somewhere and probably more afraid than I was. I was being so selfish and I had had enough of it.

I walked up to the nurse making the bed and asked, “Excuse me, where’s the man that’s supposed to be in this room?”

The nurse looked at me startled, she obviously had been oblivious I had been in the room, “He’s having tests taken, but ma’am I can’t allow you to be in here. Let me show you to the waiting room, it’s just down the hall.” She said showing me the way.

I met Chara there; he was sitting by himself in the corner of the small room. It looked like he was sleeping. I walked over quietly and sat beside him. I looked at my phone and realized it was 3 am. I jostled Zdeno awake.

“Go ahead home; his tests won’t be over for a while, and then he’s just gonna want to sleep anyways.” I said trying to put on a strong front, “I’ll text the results when I find out what’s going on.” I said forcing out a tired smile.

I could see that he was weighing his options, he finally spoke, “I’ll go now, but come back tomorrow before practice to check in on the both of you.” He said emphasizing both .

“I'm okay really.” I said giving him a hug goodbye.

~~~~~

I sat in the waiting room for what felt like hours, until I finally over heard some nurses talking about what a pissah this was going to be for the Bruins season if their patient didn’t heal up soon.

I got up and walked over to his room to see if anyone was there yet. Overhearing people talking, I walked into the room to see a group of doctors surrounding a bed. Standing there awkwardly, I waited for someone to notice me. Finally, one of the young male doctors turned in my direction slightly startled. I seem to have that effect on people today. I didn’t realize why until I caught my reflection in the mirror from across the room. Mascara covered my eyes and cheeks and my hair was pretty tousled. Well this is embarrassing, I thought as I wiped my eyes quickly.

“I'm sorry miss we aren’t allowing non relatives in.” He said trying to shoo me out of the room.

I caught eyes with Patrice as he was kicking me out though; Patrice raised his hand in the air, “Wait she stays.” He said extremely weak.

I rushed over to his side, taking his hand into my own. I sat there quietly holding his hand while the doctors spoke and ran simple tests. Finally, we were alone in the room. He reached up slowly and rubbed my cheek with his hand.

“How do you feel?” I asked as I cautiously pushed back the hair from his face.

He winced a little as he tried to sit up, “I'm fine.” He said obviously being strong for me.

“Tell me the truth.” I said moving away from him hurt by the fact he’d try to lie to me.

“It’s gonna be a long recovery.” He said not able to look me in the eyes.

I nodded my head slowly trying not to cry. I took his hand and held it once again in mine as I leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his lips. “We’re gonna get through this together, okay?” I asked looking down at his smiling face.

“I love you.” He said placing a kiss on my hand. “You look great by the way.” He said smirking at me.

“I love you too,” I said as I carefully adjusted his pillows and blankets. I ignored his snide comments as I said, “Get some rest baby; I’ll still be here when you wake up.” I said placing another soft kiss to his forehead.

“Go home and get some rest.” He said concerned.

“I will just as soon as you fall asleep.” I said taking a seat in the chair closest to his bed.

“Now who’s lying,” He quipped laughing weakly.

“You didn’t leave me when I was in the hospital, why should it be any different now?” I challenged.

“Alright,” He said giving in. “Get over here.” He said making room in the small bed.

“Baby stop stay still.” I said trying to keep him still. This action backfired when he pulled me into the bed with him.

“I wouldn’t be able to sleep without you here anyways,” Patrice said holding me closely to his chest.

“Go to bed now Love.” I said tucking my face into his chest.

No matter what his recovery sent our way, there was one thing for sure, we would get through it together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you are, I know its short but bare with me. It's the only way I thought splittling the chapters would work. Hope you all love it let me know in the comments <3