Status: slow updates most likely

Take a Stand

Chapter 2

“Shh,” it was some guy, hopefully friendly, “She’s waking up.” It was the same guy from earlier, thank the Lord and all others who are as powerful as He!

“I don’t see why you had to knock her out, it’s not li-“

“I’ve told you about five times already! I. Didn’t. Knock. Her. Out! She collapsed, probably because she used up too much chakra doing whatever she was doing!” Okay so there were at least two guys. “Get up, we know you’re awake.”

I can only assume he was talking to me, so I peaked open my eyes. I took in my surroundings. There were three guys: the one that found me, and I assume he also brought me here; some guy with spiky brown hair and dark eyes; the last one, was a bit different, the upper part of his face was completely wrapped in bandages, a headband covering where his eyes would be, he was slowly puffing on a cigarette that had never once come out of his mouth since I’d opened my eyes. The man who found me and the second man wore the same clothes – obviously a uniform of some kind – which consisted of the military green flak jacket, the navy shirt and trousers with leg wraps around each and sandals. They also wore the same head band the last man wore around their heads, which had a metal plate on the front with an engraving of a spiral with a point on the end, it looked somewhat like a leaf or a bird that has fell beak first and squashed itself on the ground. The man with the cigarette wore a grey suit, similar to what they wore in World War One and Two, with bandaged around his legs and the same sandals the other two had.

I sat up on my knees. I had been lying on my stomach with my hands still tied behind my back, “Look, I’m sure this is all just a misunderstanding. I can see by your-“

“Be quiet,” this guy really had some sort of obsession shushing people, “Tsuzumi pack up. Tonbo, go get ANBU,” ‘Tonbo’ disappeared – no I mean he literally disappeared, like I do except I don’t think I leave behind a cloud of dust – and ‘Tsuzumi’ packed up. The nameless guy stood watch over me, he was standing with his arms crossed over his chest, a menacing look on his face as he looked down on me.

‘Tsuzumi’ was still packing up when ‘Tonbo’ had returned with some people wearing animal masks, a black vest with matching gloves and trousers. On top of their vest was a grey bulletproof-looking vest (it had inch wide straps that met with the material in the front just underneath the collarbone. They wore armguards on each arm. Unlike the three who had me currently they didn’t wear the headbands with the leaf symbol on the front. With the people who had turned up I felt a little safer, I was in the hands of somewhere that had a military/police force, hopefully not a corrupted government. Two of the masked men walked up behind me while one spoke with the nameless person, “You and Tsuzumi should come back with us. Report to the Hokage about this.”

“We’re lucky. We were actually coming back from a mission when we felt her chakra just come out of nowhere.” Apparently the six had decided to escort me to where they resided together. They’d stayed silent for the rest of the journey, it wasn’t as long as I’d expected to the gates of their home.

As we entered everything seemed to stop. People around, some citizens and some with headbands like the people who escorted me, stopped to stare at what had just walked through the gates of their home. “What are they just walking in waving a flag saying 'I'm the enemy' now?” A man with white spikey hair, dressed in the same clothes as the nameless man and Tsuzumi but with his headband over his left eye (blind spot noted if I need to fight these people) and a mask covering the lower half of his face, asked, there was humour in his voice – clearly a jokester/class clown type, easy to defeat if I have to – this, and his question made me, mentally, stop in my tracks and realise just how good this place was, or how bad the enemies were (most likely the former, after all why would I be brought here if the enemies are easy to defeat, unless these people were the enemies and I meet the person who lets me reside in their home in custody). These people are just capturing enemies left and right.

The six laughed and continued walking, separating when we reached a certain point, the nameless person (who I found out was called Riichi after a person congratulated everyone by name) and Tsuzumi continuing straight forward and the seven of us turning right. The village, it was way too small to be a city, was rather beautiful. It was surrounded by trees (explaining the symbol on the headband) and a large mountain had four faces carved into it, it was somewhat similar to Mount Rushmore and because of this I have to assume that those faces are all the ‘Presidents’ or whatever the leaders are called here. There were many white houses with different coloured roofs, the most popular colours being red, green and yellow. In the centre, just in front of the large cliff, was a tall red and yellow building with the Japanese symbol for man on the front…wait, I don’t know Japanese, and I can’t just pick up languages with the click of a finger, this isn’t Doctor Who. This huge building made me believe that was an important building, maybe like Parliament? We soon reached our destination: a small building that had “Konohagukure Intelligence Division” on a wall that surrounded the building.

I was taken in, to meet with an elevator that seemed to anticipate our arrival as it seemed to open as soon as we stepped into the building. We all entered as it took us down to our destination. It was now that I began to feel nervous. It was here where I would most likely find out just what side I’m currently on, and I was scared. What if I was to die here? I wasn’t ready, people still needed my help. What? You thought I was scared for my life? No, well, not really, not in the way any ordinary person would be. I was more scared because who would be there to rescue the people in need when I left for good?

The people in masks stayed in the elevator when we got to our floor, two others grabbing the ropes that were attached to my wrist bindings ensuring I wouldn’t get away, that the two masked ANBU people had. Tonbo walked ahead of me still, leading us. It felt similar to walking to your death, the same feelings were running through me, inevitability, fear, and something similar to acceptance. I felt like I was walking the Green Mile.

I accepted my fate, yes, but I knew, somehow, I could get out of this place if it was not good.

We met up with a man with scars over his face. Judging just by his body language and facial scars I could tell this man had been through a lot. The perfect interrogator. Suddenly my foreseeable future got a whole lot worse, there was no way they’d believe exactly who I am, it usually takes people months to trust me and even then the trust is next to non-existent.

*

“Get her cleaned up, we’ll go again in the morning,” he was wiping his hands on a towel. This man, I’d found out his name was Ibiki, was severely underestimated by myself, and I’d put him at a high standard just as I looked at him. He was strong, incredibly so. He’d managed to not only beat me to a bloody pulp but also wear me out mentally as well by performing illusions on me. This world was unlike no other, there were things they could do that other dimensions could only dream about.

I was lying on the floor, unable to move except. The only sounds I could make were the “Marathon Runner’s” panting sounds and the groans every time a part of my body twitched because of the pain. I could feel the blood dripping around my body. I could feel it as I lay in a puddle of it, drying in my hair, on my face and my clothes.

Someone came closer. A woman. She pressed a hand to my most severe wounds, a green glow emitting from them. It seemed to repair the wounds somewhat, but they still hindered me. Made me useless. I managed to find the strength to role onto my back from my foetal position. My eyes were closed as I tried to refocus my energy evenly throughout my body.

It seemed that I’d be given no rest as another man appeared. This one was carrying handcuffs though, “Do you honestly think those are necessary?” it was the woman speaking, probably referring to the handcuffs, “She can barely move so she’s not going to put up a fight.” She was speaking the truth. I could barely find the energy to move my eyes as I looked between their bickering, turning over had done something awful to my strength.

“What if she’s just faking? Putting up an act and then as soon as we step outside to put her in containment she’ll attack, what’ll happen then?” I mentally rolled my eyes.

“Feel her chakra Shinobu. There’s no way she’s putting up a fight with that much chakra. It’s been depleting since she got here. Whatever jutsu made her alert that team took a lot out of her,” it was the last part of the conversation I heard before giving into the fatigued that plagued me, but all I could think about was that word: chakra. Yes, it’s known in every dimension but they all believe it’s there to help enhance their lives. These people however talk about it like one talks about the weather. They must have managed to manipulate it to their own advantage.

*

I was in a machine of some sort. My head the only visible part of my body. That Ibiki was there, he was standing to the side with another man. This man was blond, with a pony tail. The two wore the same metal plate, the blond had a headband and Ibiki as a bandana. They wore the same clothes too: a navy military blazer and trousers (similar to that of Tonbo’s but navy), and a black overcoat. These two were higher up than the others that I knew.

The blond got closer and placed a hand on my head. “Inoichi is going to perform a mind reading jutsu on you. If you’re who you say you are then you’ll have nothing to worry about since we won’t want to harm you any further than we already have. If you’re lying however then you should be prepared to face the consequences.”

The blond, Inoichi, seemed to daze off and I felt an unknown presence within me. It was going through my memories. I could see them, flashing quickly. Some would take longer than others, as if they were being analysed; these ones tended to be the ones in which I fought and travelled. The most recent memory of Elkis showed up – Pheus along with it, I realised then just how heartless and ungrateful I must have seemed to him. If I’d stayed longer, showed him some gratitude, I wouldn’t have been so worn out travelling, therefore I wouldn’t be in this mess. I would have fought Tsuzumi back and told him exactly who I was.

The invasion vanished as did the hand and the memories. Ibiki looked expectedly at Inoichi, “Well?” he was rather impatient.

“She’s telling the truth.” It was all that needed to be said to get me out of there. A buzzer/intercom was pressed and some other military-looking men walked in. “Get some men to escort this young lady to the Hokage. Ibiki and I are going to do some quick paper work before joining you,” they were clearing up the area quickly as I was roughly jerked by the arm and towards the door.

“Be gentle.” The warning and commanding tone was all it took for the grip to release from my upper arm and a hand to be placed on the small of my back guiding me to this Hokage.

*

I was presented to an old man dressed in a white and red cloak and hat. The hat had the same Japanese symbol for “man” on it.

“Lord Hokage, this girl is the legendary Dimension Traveller,” I was stunned, unlike all the others, this dimension had heard of me, “I feel like I have disrespected her, you, the village and my position as leader of Konoha’s Torture and Interrogation Force for bringing harm to this girl.”

“Please, it’s not your fault,” I spoke, finally, I was allowed a seat as I was still injured from the day before, “You aren’t the only people who have seen me as a threat once I stepped onto your dimension. But I feel like I won’t have to prove my loyalty to you. Unlike the others, you have heard of my existence.”

“There is a legend,” it was the old man, “It says that a kinoichi shall appear from out of nowhere, when the villages of this world are fighting against each other. The team for which she fights for will gain a great advantage over the one she fights for.

“She’s said to be traveller. She has been in many battles and will stop at nothing to gain what she believes is right for the civilians of the worlds. I would most appreciate it if you would join the shinobi of Konoha and fight battles with us. I even have a jōnin in mind that you can be trained by and stay with, he’s just gained a group of genin which have passed his, almost, impossible test,” I looked quizzically at him, “A jōnin is an elite ninja, or high ninja, they can become part of the ANBU Black-Ops, who assisted in bringing you into Konohagakure, do missions, or they can become a sensei for genin. Genin are low ninja who have just graduated from the Academy and are put on a squad with three others, two are also genin and the last is the jōnin who trains them and helps improve their abilities. There are two other types of ninja: a Chunin and Kage.

“A Chunin is a middle ninja who are qualified to lead missions. Their ability is much better than when they were genin. Some do missions and others tend to teach the children who want to be ninja what they need to know to become genin. There is only one Kage per hidden village of the Five Great Shinobi Countries, I am Kage of the Hidden Lead village. There is me, the Hokage of the Village Hidden in the Leaves, the Kazekage of the Village Hidden in the Sand, Mizukage of the Village Hidden in the Mist, Raikage of the Village in the Clouds, and the Tsuchikage of the Village Hidden in the Stones.” I nodded, kind of understanding what he’d just said but knew it would be a while before I could recite it like he had. “Ibiki, Inoichi, you can return to your work now,” they turned to leave, as they were walking out the door the Hokage said, “Oh and tell our jōnin he can come in now to receive his mission.” The two men nodded and continued on their way back to work.

I turned back towards the old man after receiving more apologies from Ibiki for his torturing the day before.

“Lord Hokage, you wished to see me,” I turned, I don’t see how I’m not getting dizzy with all this turning, recognising the voice. It was the white haired man from the street. His head was bowed so he didn’t see me straight away.

“Yes. I have a…special mission for you Kakashi,” the white haired man looked up, surprised that the Hokage would even consider him for a…special mission. Wait, is this man the- “Meet Rei Nishi. You’re going to have to get acquainted with her, as you’ll be with her until the time comes when you are no longer needed,” Damn he is, he’s the “jōnin” that is going to train me in the way of this world. As this “elite shinobi” was about to speak the old man explained exactly what was to happen until I journeyed onto the next world, “You will train her and teach her how to use her chakra, this can be done when you are training the Genin and when they are doing the D-Rank missions they are assigned. You will let her reside in your home, she has no other place to go after all. And you will protect her with your life. We were lucky to have found her before anyone like Orichimaru did, great power is what people desire and Miss Nishi holds more than anyone in this village.”

“Yes, Lord Hokage,” He bowed his head before turning to me. He raised an eyebrow, as if questioning how a girl can hold more power than he and the Hokage, “Follow me,” his voice was cold, without emotion, someone I might get along with if he wasn’t so sexist.

We walked through the streets of this beautiful village: Konohagakure or Konoha for short, towards an unknown, well to me, destination. The streets weren’t too busy, there were people wandering about, shopping, chatting, playing, eating in stalls or outside restaurants. I imagined it was always like this: never too busy but not quite empty, a peaceful place. Some place I hadn’t experienced in a long time. The familiar homely feeling I felt when I first entered this dimension reappeared, I felt at peace here.

“I thought you would have discovered places more beautiful than this village but you seem to be looking around in wonder.”

I snapped my head towards him, “Surprisingly beauty such as your village is hard to come across. I don’t know if it’s because of the colourful roofs and the surroundings or because of the strong feelings that come with it. It’s such a wonderful feeling, it’s so strong but not overwhelming. The places I’ve discovered have never had this feel, most of them were already in the clutches of the evil I helped save them from so it lacked,” this Kakashi man looked at me with his one visible eye questioningly, “It’s a feeling of togetherness, power and fierceness. When the those particular three feelings join forces it gives off a feel that will make anyone who’d try to destroy this village run for the hills,” I smiled and gave off a small laugh, “It gives me chills, the good kind, and I’m glad to be in this village helping you.”

“Hn,” I must have said something that bothered him or something, but I wouldn’t know what, I’ve only complimented his village.

We walked in silence the rest of the way, to what I discovered to be his home: a smallish sized apartment. Kakashi left me, walking through a door on the far left, muttering to himself about “no more privacy” or something. I rolled my eyes and gazed around the room. There was a kitchen towards the back with, what I recognised to be, a kotatsu towards the middle of the room with cushions scattered haphazardly around it. There was just a few cushions scattered on the floor closer to the door, giving me the impression of a living room, but one that wasn’t used very often so there wasn’t need for a sofa or any real chairs, this man must have been so lonely. The room was square but had a corridor leading off to the right of the square that held to different rooms, one I assumed to be the bathroom, the other I had no idea.

Kakashi re-entered the living/dining/kitchen room, he’d taken off the flak jacket and long sleeved top as well as the pouches filled with weapons. He was wearing a tank top which seemed to have the mask on and his headband had been taken off, he kept his left eye closed however. I gasped seeing the old scar on his eye, he was blind, and he kept it covered since it had no use. He looked up from his book –Make Out: Paradise, he doesn’t strike me as a chick flick guy – startled at my reaction. “Your room is at the end of the corridor,” he pointed to the right of the room we were into the corridor with the two rooms, “the bathroom is on your left as you walk in. Tomorrow we’ll go training, it’s too late to see what talents you possess, and how very little they actually are.”

I glared at him angrily and clenched my fists. The audacity of him! He’s never seen me fight before so he doesn’t even have the right to judge me! I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in, counting to ten before turning away from him. “Ignoring your last comment, when are you going to feed me? You can’t expect your only hope for triumph to die of starvation now can you?” I heard him drop his book, hopefully I got to him with the “only hope” thing, a man’s pride is the best way to hurt them afterall.