Wild Secrets Within

Four

I stand as I watch Maddi cross the border that empty tables create. The click that her heels made on the floor annoys and taunts me. She knows the rules - no one should get close to the humans. Then there's the unspoken rule: stay on your side of whichever room you're in. Then again, wolves aren't known to follow the rules. We like to bend and twist them. Maybe that's why most of us become politicians and lawyers, if we're really bored with our lives. “What the fuck is she doing?” Taylor stands next to me with her arms crossed. She doesn't look too pleased either.

“I don't know.” I grab my books as the first bell rings. I see Marc and Julian make there way over to me. “I'll see you around.” I nod at Taylor before I shake hands with Julian and Marc.

“Dan the man.” Julian punches my arm. “Still getting the ass.”

I push him lightly. “Shut the fuck up Julian.” He knows I broke up with Taylor. In fact I think everyone in the school knew. They also still know that no one disrespects Taylor in front of me. We have too much history for me to let anything pass.

He raises his hands in surrender. “I get it man.” All of our eyes turn to Maddi, who's walking off with the new girl. I think she introduced herself as Julie. It's great to have acute hearing. It sucks when I'm around high pitch noises; It gives me headaches and blurry vision. “What the hell is she doing?” Julian runs a hand through his blonde hair.

“Maybe she wants a human friend.” Marc tilts his head to the right. He checks out the human girl. “She not bad for a human.” He nods.

“Don't.” I growl lowly. Both of them give me a confused look. Why the fuck did I react that way? “We can't have any close relationships with the humans.” That's the best way to cover up my random outburst.

Marc gives me a grin, but Julian nods in agreement. “You're right. Humans are good at fucking things up more than wolves or bloodsuckers.” We start to walk to the locker room. We have soccer practice first hour every Thursday. The school doesn't compete but they want to keep us busy. Sports are the best way to do that.

“Whatever. I think we should all just chill.” Marc says with an amused tone. “I'm glad Maddi is shaking things up. The last entertaining thing that happened in this school was your break up with Taylor.” He smacks me on the chest. “Hey, has she made a song about your relationship?” I push him down the locker room's stairs. He lays down between the stairs and the door - he's laughing. “Fuck you need to learn how to take a joke.” He stands and shakes imaginary dust off of him. “Be glad I'm your best friend and that I'm not human.” He's right; a human wouldn't have been okay after that push and fall.

I see that my fingers are twitching. I take a deep breath and run a hand through my hair. “Sorry man. Just really stressed.” As we enter we're met with the smell of iron and salt. We play against the vampires today.

Trying to keep our powers under control in front of the humans, yeah it's going to be fun day. The vampires pass us with grins on their pale faces. They stand tall and gracefully, walking out the door. I hear one of them mutter, dogs, under his breath. I think the asshole's name is Ivan. I make a mental note to kick his ass on the field.

“Why are you so stressed?” Julian asks as he opens his locker, ignoring the vampires. I'm not sure how they could do that. I want to kick the bloodsucker's ass.

I quickly change. “I have to patrolling the school grounds for an extra hour tonight.”

Marc shuts his locker. “It's not like you're sleeping.” I frown at my reflection in the mirror near the door. I haven't been sleeping but my face doesn't show it. Wolves can goes for days without sleeping, but then they crash. It's like drinking a lot of RedBull for weeks and getting the ugliest crash a few weeks later. “Which reminds me, you need to fucking sleep.” We run out to the field behind the school. “We're going to go to a party tomorrow and I don't want you to crash.”

I throw my head back with a groan. “You know I don't want to go to any parties.”

“I don't give a shit.” He jumps and high fives Luke; he's a fellow pack member. We do our hand shake and look at the bloodsuckers around the field. “You need to find yourself a rebound, my friend.” We begin to stretch when we see humans girls were watching us. We don't need to stretch, but we have to keep up with appearances. One false move and they can figure everything out.

“He's right Aidan.” Luke cracks his neck. “You need to get your mojo back.”

“Like I need it.” I grin at the group of girls on the side lines. I hear their hearts skip a beat and race. Some of them even hold their breath. If they only knew the truth.

“Fucking show off.” Julian rolls his eyes. He claps his hands and punches the air. “Lets get this game started.” He yells.

“It's a soccer game, not a boxing match.” Marc pushes him. He flips him off. “Oh no, my feelings are hurt.” He says in a high pitch voice. We all laugh as he bats his lashes.

“Dogs have no class.” I hear Ivan say behind us.

I turn around and glare at him. My fingers are already twitching. I'm in no mood to hear a bloodsucker insult me or the pack. “Do you have anything to say?” I see Marc, Julian, and Luke stand behind me. I hear my heart beat faster. The anger is boiling inside of me and it wants to come out. Ivan opens his mouth, and I swing at him. He falls to the ground two feet in front of me. He's lucky humans are around. If they weren't he would have already been ashes.

Two bloodsuckers hold Ivan back. “Aidan Starling, get off of the field.” I hear Coach Johnson scream.

I pass the group of girls who are whispering amongst themselves. I stop for a second second when I notice Julie next to Maddi, a frown on her face. For the first time I want to know what a girl is thinking about. I feel my anger diminish. What the fuck is wrong with me? Maybe Marc is right, maybe I do need to sleep and find myself a rebound.