Wild Secrets Within

Five

I kept my hands submerged in my pockets as we sat out on the bleachers. Study hall… First period. When I thought of the words “study hall”, I imagined sitting in a classroom where I could simply just think; draw a little maybe, or just let my mind take over and not focus on anything. Maddi had other plans as we got there and she led me outside where a game was going to take place supposedly.

Sports. I wasn’t into sports much, so I wasn’t much enthused to be out here. At least the sun was nice and… well, so was the boy on the field who seemed to have a hot temper and a masculine, fantastic body. I couldn’t deny that I was paying more attention to it than anything… Not even when Maddi was saying something and she noticed that I simply wasn’t listening.

“Who – oh!” There was a distinct evil laugh to follow but I simply pretended that I hadn’t heard it. I really didn’t want to talk about it, honestly.

I wasn’t normally the girl that boys went after. It wasn’t that I didn’t have a nice body – for I had surely heard that an abundant number of times – or a personality, but I simply was shy. I didn’t pursue – and how was a guy to when he barely knew you were looking over the brim of a book?! I was alright being on my own, I had always told myself, but right about now my heart was aching for something more. I just didn’t know why it had come so suddenly – or at all.

I knew I wasn’t the only one to notice him either, judging by the way that the rest of the girls are huddling in a corner with quick, practiced glances. I wondered for a moment if they came out here every morning to watch him…

“A heart throb, isn’t he?” Maddi asked me quietly and I turned to roll my eyes at her. What was I doing?! Well, I was trying to hold my dignity and not let a guy get to me like this. It was much easier to just pretend I didn’t know what she was talking about. “Oh, don’t you even pretend you don’t like him!” She teased. “I can smell the pheromones from here!”

Then there was a cracking noise and a gasp from the girls in the circle and I looked up to see him standing over some pale guy with a snarl on his face that I could only equate to a doggish snarl. What was worse was the girls…

”I hope he’s okay!” Some blonde said.

”Ivan does have a thick skull,” another replied with a giggle before rolling her eyes. I’m sure Aidan’s fine – just look at him!

I wasn’t exactly sure what I was so mad about. If I was at any other school, I simply would’ve said that I was annoyed with the pack-like status of these girls and their snobbiness; but…but it was him. Aidan was his name and I was quite sure that I wouldn’t have been upset if they were talking about any other guy rather than him… There was just something about him that made me defensive over him – and for what reason I wasn’t quite sure.

I didn’t get to ask any more of Aidan or what he was about because as my eyes watched him go off in the distance, Maddi had somehow disappeared. She was completely gone – and to where, I had no distinct answer. All I could say was that the students here were odd… peculiar – came out of nowhere and went just the same. It all confused me – Aidan being the most prevalent of those confusions in my mind.

It wasn’t long before I flinched to the feeling of hands on my shoulders and I glanced up nervously. Riley and his lanky self was smiling above me – a look of happiness though his eyes betrayed this fake joy with their showing of relief.

“I’m glad I found you!” He teased, taking a seat down beside me, turned slightly as if one eye on the game and one eye on me. “I got to first period and I was really worried – I thought maybe you never made it there!”

I let out a small giggle that was rather loud – mostly to block out the noise of the high pitched voice that was talking too loudly (or perhaps it only felt that way because I had heard Aidan’s name too frequently in her monologue for my liking). She only turned to me and flipped her hair at me; like I cared.

“Wh – how did you get out here?” He finally asked after a moment and I shrugged.

“I walked…” I answered, swinging my legs contentedly since they didn’t exactly touch the ground of the bleachers – damn those short legs.

“No,” he teased, “you know what I mean!”

“My new friend, Maddi, led me out here. She helped me to class since you left me!” I nudged him in the hip whilst teasing him and he rolled his eyes at me. I felt good to have someone that could share my humor with me… I had never felt like I had before, but I felt like I could really trust him.

He glanced around me then and it took me awhile to realize that he was searching for this “Maddi”. “I swear she’s real!” I argued as he opened his mouth to ask me something along those lines of questioning. “She just ran off just before you came out here – honestly!”

It was his turn to throw his head back into a laugh and he shook his head at me, smirking. “Well, I would love to meet this Maddi once she comes back!” He answered, throwing his arm around me.

It made me think of Aidan but not in a guilty way. With Riley, I felt as if I was with my brother who was showing me a brother-sister relationship that I had never known before; he made me feel comfortable, as if I could be myself and not worry about what anyone thought. Then I thought of Aidan and a blush came to my face that I was even comparing my new best friend with this guy I had never talked to before! There was just something about him… Dark. Sinister. Yet somehow with a warmth and love that seemed to grasp my heart from just one look.

All I knew was that I was doomed…