Wild Secrets Within

Six

“Aidan, wait up!” Maddi chases after me. Her high heels don't slow her down though I wish they would. Don't get me wrong: Maddi is a great friend but she can very annoying. It seems that she doesn't take anything seriously. Though I know she does, when it's time to defend the pack she's in the front lines ready for the fight. I admire her for that, so I try not to snap at her too much.

I take a deep breath and turn to her. “What is it, Maddi?”

She has a huge grin on her face - that can't be good. “Don't act like you're mad.” She wiggles a finger at me. “You can't fool me. I know you too well. If you were mad, you would be growling my full name.” She folds her arms.

I lean against a wall. “I am mad; I'm just so tired.” I run a hand over my face. “I should go sleep.” I hunch and rest my hands on my knees. I think through my classes - nothing important is happening in any of them, but maybe Julie is in one of them and... and what? I bet I've already scared her. I shouldn't have punched Ivan in front of her. Did I just think that? Since when do I regret punching someone? I don't regret a fight; that's just not me.

I see her grin disappear and her eyes sadden slightly. I feel panic set in; please don't bring it up. “You haven't been sleeping? Is it because...”

I signal her to stop. “Don't Madison.” I don't want memories to flood in. That would be bad for the pack's cover and Julie... What the hell? That girl's name should be far away from my mind, but there's something about her I just don't get. She seems so different from the rest of the human girls. I think she's the only one who didn't keep looking at me. Does that mean she doesn't like me? Wait, why do I even care? She's just another human girl. So what's this damn feeling telling me she's much more?

I shouldn't even be thinking about her right now. Madison wants to talk about something serious. Julie has no place in this conversation or my mind. “You need to talk Aidan. You can't just bottle things up.” She places a hand on her hip. “Soon enough you're going pop and the pack is going to have to clean up your shit.”

Madison can't keep her mouth shut, ever. My heart quickens as my anger raises. “I'm not like you Madison! I can't just talk.” We both glance behind her. Taylor is looking at us with an unreadable expression.

Madison puts back all her attention on me. “But you can just talk.” We avoid eye contact, that would trigger us our transformation. Never look werewolves in the eyes when they're upset. “You just need to open your damn mouth and speak words, preferably in English.”

My fingers start to shake. Can't she just drop it at least for now? “Madison, you left your human unattended.” Taylor slowly makes the gap between us smaller. She doesn't want to get into a fight with either of us. She knows we're on edge and any sudden movement could bring on a fight.

Madison looks at her through the corner of her eye. “She's fine; she's with Riley.” My fingers start to shake more violently. Who the fuck is Riley and why is he with Julie? My whole hand starts to shake now. I shouldn't care. “Aidan.” Madison sounds more relaxed, which relaxes me slightly. “I'm going back to Julie.” She tells me before taking a small step back. I can feel my body become less tense. “You should get some sleep before your patrol.” She snaps her fingers. “If you can't just call me up - I'll message Mr. Sandman.” She winks before disappearing around a corner.

Taylor takes a bigger step towards me, but she's hesitant on completely closing the gap. I feel hurt by her unsureness. I know she should be cautious; I can be dangerous. I close my eyes as I remember I got into a fight with her, I had pushed her to the ground. She didn't get hurt at all, but I still can't forgive myself for that. I stop shaking. “I'm sorry Taylor.” I turn my back to her.

In a flash I feel her hand on my shoulder. “Don't be. You haven't done anything wrong.”

I shake my head and turn to her. “I wasn't good to you...”

She wraps her arms around my shoulders. “You were amazing to me. You never forgot my birthday or our anniversary, and you always were there.”

I hug her bag lightly. “Thanks Taylor.” I let go of her and take a step back. “You always know what to say.” Her eyes shine under the sunlight that peeks through the windows. They don't shine as brightly as Julie's - her eyes look majestic under the sunlight. Did I just compare Julie with Taylor? My thoughts are starting to make me uneasy. This lack of sleep is really fucking me up. “I should go get some sleep. We don't want me to completely snap on someone.” I run my fingers through my hair. I hope she doesn't notice my nervousness. “I'll see you around.” No. I'm too good at hiding most of my emotions. The only one I just can't get a grip on is on anger.

I quickly make my way to my room. I hear a group of humans talking about my little fight with Ivan. Seriously? Didn't it just happen? Marc is right, this school needs a little more entertainment. I just hope another group gives it to us, like the vampires. I don't want the pack to get all the attention. I hear more whispers as I get closer to my room. I tune them out. I don't feel like listening to their gossip.

I lock the door of my room and let out a breath. I walk over to my desk where my cellphone is sitting. I have five messages from Taylor asking about the fight and if I was alright. I take off my shirt before deleting the messages. We've already talked and I don't like saving messages. I think they make too much clutter in my phone. I kick off my shoes and shorts. Now thinking about it, that sounds stupid. Maybe that's why I don't tell anyone. Plus why would they care?

I jump onto my bed and let out a frustrated growl. I'm asking myself way too many questions. I rub my face with my hands. I need to shut off my brain.

I lay on my bed with my eyes closed. I try to shut my brain off but it just won't. Too many things are running wild in my head, like Julie's wondering eyes and her beautiful face. I cover my face with my pillow. I shouldn't be thinking like that about a human girl. But I can't help wonder how her lips feel or her skin...

I growl into the pillow. Damn it! She's just too intriguing to not think of. I clench my teeth. A beautiful girl like her is going to find a boyfriend in no time, if she doesn't already have one. I throw the pillow in frustration. It hits the wall with a little thud. “Stop thinking about her.” I whisper. She also seems smart...fuck...

Something inside of me told me I was screwed, when it came to stopping myself from thinking about her...