Tangled Love

I'll be there

Tangled Love Ch. 1

Emmy and Rebecca sat silently on the bed, their eyes following their nervous friend as he paced before them. He’d been doing this for at least a half hour by now. He was in a panic. You see, his twin, Jaime, sent him an e-mail asking if he was planning on returning home for the break that began next week. This left their friend in a very confusing situation. His brother was only going back if he went back and part of him wasn’t sure he wanted to. He turned on the girls.

“God, what do I do?” he whined.

“Connor, just go for the visit,” Emmy sighed, her hands still running through her girlfriend’s hair. “It can’t be that bad.”

“You have never seen it. That is the only reason you can say that so easily,” Connor groaned, leaning back against the wall. His gaze locked on the light hanging from the ceiling, counting the bulbs.

“You’ve described it enough, thanks,” the girl replied, glancing his way before returning her attention to braiding Rebecca’s silky black locks.

“I don’t get it,” Rebecca frowned, her eyes focused on Connor. “What’s so bad about going home for a bit?”

Emmy groaned, whining about the girl’s question. Rebecca rolled her eyes, nudging the girl in the ribs playfully. Emmy pouted for a second, faking pain before sighing. Rebecca turned her attention back to Connor and waited expectantly. The boy finally pushed himself upright, crossing his arms as he began talking.

“My brother hates having a twin,” he started. “He doesn’t hate me, of course. He just hates that fact that everyone from our hometown always refers to us as ‘the twins’. Most of the people, when they’d see us separated, would joke about the others absence. They’d say things like ‘Where’s your other half?’ or ‘what happened to the other twin?’ which honestly, didn’t bother me much. My brother, on the other hand, was driven insane by it every time. It got to the point where snapped at a few people because of it.”

Connor started pacing again, wringing his hands nervously as he continued his story. He paused, wondering what else to say. After a moment of thinking, he continued.

“My brother started getting angry at everyone. He started avoiding me to. He started blowing up at anyone who so much as mentioned me. I know it wasn’t intentional or anything but it hurt all the same. I also know he meant it as a protest and not an insult but honestly, it hurt sometimes,” Connor frowned, staring at the ground, “especially being avoided. Now, I don’t even know what he’s been doing. This is the first time he’s contacted me since we got back from our last break. I hate that every time he contacts me, it’s to know if I’m going home. Honestly, I don’t want to. It’ll probably be the same as every other time.”

The girls were quiet for a moment after Connor finished his story. His eyes drifted over to the laptop across the room. It was still open on the e-mail. Finally, Rebecca spoke up.

“I see why you’re hesitating,” she started, “but your brother just needs to grow up a bit. I get that the members of your community shouldn’t treat you like you two are packaged deal and stuff, but he’s being ridiculous. If you’re hesitating to go home because of him, you need to tell him to let it go. You said it doesn’t bother you?”

Connor looked up with shrug. “I just ignored them when they made comments about it. I didn’t see the point in getting all riled up. Jaime didn’t.”

“Maybe he’s grown up a little bit,” Emmy offered, coming out the braids she had made in Rebecca’s hair before starting over. “I mean, it’s been almost three months since you last saw each other. Who knows, maybe he’ll be better now?”

Connor scoffed at that, shaking his head. His face was grim as he said, “I highly doubt that.”

“Connor,” Emmy sighed, let go of Rebecca’s hair to join her friend by the wall. “Just go home, okay? I know you want to see your parents and the rest of your family. There’s a chance Jaime has gotten better since you saw him last. It’s worth a try. Don’t let him ruin your break, okay?”

Connor’s eyes were on the computer screen again, his eyes unfocused. Emmy had a point and he knew it. It was pretty bad that his brother made him hate going home so much. He loved his brother with all his heart but he couldn’t help but get frustrated. His brother’s antics were just ridiculous and immature, sometimes. For all he knew, his brother had been trying to hide his existence. The thought made Connor shudder.

Finally, after five minutes of silent deliberation, his mind was made up. He walked to the laptop hesitantly, clicking the reply button to send his answer back. He sighed, typing in his response. He hesitated as his hand approached the send button, letting the cursor hover over the link. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he clicked send.

His eyes opened and he thought over his response, wondering if he had made the right choice. Either way, it was too late. The message was sent and his brother would receive it soon enough. One thing was for sure, though. He was going back home.