Status: alive!

I'll Fight My Corner

quatre.

Harry came in again the next day with a textbook and a wide grin gracing his features. He sat down at the same table, setting his things down and then looking at me.

"So," I said, taking a deep breath before continuing.

He smiled. "So."

I tried my best not to smile, but the corners of my mouth twitched.

"Have you figured out what you want help with yet?"

He nodded, his smile growing.

"I need help with Pre-Cal. But I have a deal for you."

A deal? What?

"Excuse me?" I replied, my eyebrows furrowing.

"If you tutor me in Pre-Cal, I get to tutor you, too."

"Tutor me in what, exactly? What could you possibly tutor me in?"

"Social skills."

My mouth dropped open and I could feel my cheeks warming up. I scooted my chair back.

"I guess you'll have to find another tutor because I won't waste my time on people who insult me for no apparent -"

He stood. "No, no, Emma, that's not what I meant! Fuck, I'm sorry."

I froze and waited for his explanation.

"Yesterday, when I touched your hand, you looked like you wanted to explode into bits and pieces, like no one had ever touched your hand before. I don't want you to be afraid of me. I don't want you to be afraid of the rest of the world either."

I pursed my lips and sat back down, and so did he.

"The world is amazing and while it's great that you're such a smart and studious girl, there's so much that you need to see before you leave high school. And I want to show it to you."

He sat back, smiling again, as if he was pleased with himself for coming up with this plan.

"If you think that you're some kind of genius for wanting to help me..."

His smile disappeared and he leaned forward, his green eyes pleading with me.

"Please, Emma. Please let me do this for you. You're doing a lot for me and I want to return the favor. Please, please, pl-"

I thought it over in my head. What harm could he possibly do? And he might not even stick to the plan, for all I knew. It was worth a shot.

"Oh, my gosh. Fine. If you really think you can actually help me, then fine. Try."

His eyes went from pleading to ecstatic and I realized that was the first time I had ever seen eyes convey so much emotion.

Or maybe that was the first time I had bothered to look into anyone's eyes instead of looking away like I usually did.

"This is gonna be great, Emma. I already know it. I can feel it!"

"It's Emmalee. I told you. Emma. Lee. Say it with me, now. Emma-"

Harry's phone started to buzz and he shot out of his chair. "I'm gonna be late for practice! Bye, Emma!" he called as he ran out of the tutoring room.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is so short (500 words!) so I'm going to update another chapter as well. It's like 4 AM lol I have no idea what I'm doing. Please comment, rec, and subscribe!