Status: completed as of 26 aug 2018 (◕‿◕✿)

Kian

The Bee Festival

AROUND TEN, I start to smell the sweet scent of honey. With Colton near my side, he jumps and skips as we head closer to the center of Town Square.

He's squeezing my hand, gushing, “I want to eat everything with honeeeeeey!”

We get to the center of town when I see a yellow and white banner that reads 54th Annual Bee Festival. Colton reads it out loud, getting more excited by the minute.

Kids are running around, holding yellow and orange balloons. Parents are gossiping near a bench while keeping eyes on their children. A couple of men and women are playing chess near the entrance. High schoolers are also taking charge of the games.

Several booths scatter Town Square. From Dale’s Diner serving honey-nut waffles to Bake n’ Roll serving up toasted honey croissants and banana nut muffins.

Near to the entrance of the festival is Bake n’ Roll, I see a frantic Kian hosting its booth. With his hair’s tossed up to the side, I spot a hint of flour at the tips. He's passing out different doughnuts that look to have honeycomb on the top.

My attention is averted when Matthias and Eunica’s voices yell my name.

“Bethany!” Matthias exclaims as he hugs me. He holds up a fist at Colton and touches knuckles. “Hey, little dude!”

Eunica beams, hugging me tightly. “Bethany Mayer, when did you get back? I missed you so much!” She pouts, “Why not update your Twitter? I haven't heard from you since finals week.”

“I got back last week. Then I started work the day after my flight landed,” I explain. I hold both their hands and gush, “We should all go bowling when you're free! I heard they renovated Tuck’s Bowling Alley.”

Eunica glares at Matthias, “All because of Matthias’s mishap last winter.”

Matthias pulls his hands up in defense. “Hey! I didn't know my ball would go flying past the pins.”

“You hit the roof with your ball, Matthias!” I exclaim, letting out a laugh.

Our faces turn red as we all burst out laughing.

I glance at Eunica and Matthias one last time before I notice they coordinated their outfit colors. I raise an eyebrow and ask, “Are you guys performing?”

Matthias smirks and Eunica wiggles her eyebrows.

“I can't wait!” I exclaim. “Matthias, are you going to have a harmonica solo again?”

Again? Let's hope not,” Eunica snorts, throwing her head back, roaring out a laugh.

Colton tugs on my hand, saying, “Can we get juice? Lemonade?”

I look down and say, “Oh, let's find some.”

“I think Adalyn’s giving out lemonade,” Eunica hints.

Eunica and Matthias leave to set up while Colton and I head towards Bake n’ Roll’s booth. I see the frantic Kian behind the booth, smiling at customers. When the crowd thins out, he spots me and waves.

“Bethany, right?” Kian smiles, showing off his uneven dimple. “What brings you to my booth?” he smirks, leaning forward.

I lean a little forward too. “I hear you're serving lemonade. Mind if we try some?” I ask as I look down at my brother.

He nods, looking at Colton. “What's your name, little guy?”

“Colton, but my buddies call me Cole.”

“I'm Kian,” he smiles. “If I give you and your sister some free lemonade and cookies, would that make us buddies?”

Colton grins, bouncing on his toes.

“You don't have to do that,” I urge, pulling out my wallet. “I'll pay.”

Kian starts making the lemonade, shaking his head. “On me,” he smiles.

And that smile makes all the noise around Town Square stop, blurring out just Kian's half-smile and flour infested hair.

The drink Kian offers causes my lips to curl. It’s pink lemonade that has too much sugar but enough ice to dilute the taste. It has a black and white straw hanging on the rim of the cup, slowing floating back to the top. He places two raspberries in the center, slowing make a face while he did it. The face yells oh, yes.

I play with the thought of saying it's good, lying, hoping to make a good impression on this guy. Instead, I raise an eyebrow and smirk.

“This is shit,” I whisper with a half laugh. His face turns red but he manages to smile back.

“I know,” he says, his eyes not leaving my gaze. “This is my first time making lemonade.”

Colton loudly sips, almost finishing up his drink. “I love it! Kian, we can be friends after all.”

“Phew,” Kian laughs.

Adalyn pops her head out and fixes her gaze between Kian and me. She says, “Hey kids, how do you like the lemonade?”

“It's great, Mrs. Olsen,” Colton beams as he gives her a thumbs up.

Kian's smirking at me. I give him a long look, and that's when I notice the light beaming on his face–the sun is touching his skin in a way that makes his face glow. And I can’t help but stare.

“I can't wait until Matthias and Eunica start singing,” Adalyn cheerfully says. “I've passed Eunica’s home after work and heard them practice a couple songs. They're so good. I'm excited!” She turns to Kian and explains, “Matthias and Eunica went to the same high school as Bethany.”

Kian nods, looking at me. “Did you go to the same school as John and Gio?”

I shake my head. “I went to high school outside of Beasley.”

He nods again. “I have to meet your friends someday.” As he takes off his gloves, Kian looks at Adalyn and asks, “Are John and Gio making their way over, Aunt Adalyn?”

Adalyn sighs, “I asked them to stop by. Do you think you can handle running this thing on your own? I'm so sorry, Kian, for doing this to you. I told the boys loud and clear they should come by. Ugh, those boys.”

“Oh, no,” he says, “It’s been good so far. I can handle it. Besides, everyone's been so nice and patient.” He finishes his sentence by throwing a small glance in my way.

“I just remembered!” Adalyn’s eyes widen as she lets out a small gasp, “Bethany, come over to dinner this weekend! I feel like I haven't seen you or your parents all summer. Tell them I'm hosting.”

“I would love to join but my parents won't be home until the 17th,” I explain. “Their flight back home is next week.”

“Where are they flying from?” Kian curiously ask. “Did they take a vacation?”

“Mommy is a pilot and daddy is a flight attendant,” Colton explains, sipping on his lemonade. “They travel a lot.”

“Both your parents are always working hard,” Adalyn gushes. “When both of them are back, we should all have dinner. But my invitation still stands–you and Colton should come over on Sunday. I'm going to make the boys come and Kian’s making his lemonade.”

Oh, his lemonade.

He leans against the booth, waiting for an answer. Kian’s silent, but he’s smirking.

“I would love to join you for dinner,” I say, trying to hide my smile from Kian.
♠ ♠ ♠
HELLO AND TY TO THOSE WHO ARE READING, RECCING, SUBBING N COMMENTING ~ get ready for the ride (~˘▾˘)~