Status: completed as of 26 aug 2018 (◕‿◕✿)

Kian

The Bowling Alley

TUCK’S BOWLING ALLEY radiates neon lights across the room. Someone's throwback playlist is roaring on the speakers and that makes Matthias a little excited. Eunica and I take a step back and watch as he Snapchats himself doing a dance near the entrance.

While Matthias and Eunica try to reserve a lane, I'm called over by Darvis Ho and his two kids. It looks like they are about to leave the Bowling Alley.

“Hey, Darvis,” I say, smiling. “What brings you here on this fine Saturday evening?”

Darvis points a thumb at his two teenage sons. “The kids wanted some fun. We're about to meet up with Mrs. Ho at the diner if you wanted to join us.”

I smile. “Thank you but I think I'll stay here for a while. See you later, Darvis. Say hi to Ruby for me.”

Matthias and Eunica wave over at me to join them in our lane. The lights are dimmed and a flash of neon strobe lights start to dance across the room. Around me, laughter emerges.

“Lowest score buys dinner?” Matthias asks, showing off a wide smile.

While picking up a ball, Eunica scoffs, “As long as you don't break anything like last time.”

We all burst out laughing and begin taking turns.

When Eunica’s taking a Boomerang picture, my attention is averted. I see Jonathan in a couple lanes over, with his back facing me. He’s with Giovanni and a couple other people I’m not familiar with. Giovanni is the first to spot me and waves.

Jonathan turns his head to face me and we’re staring at each other. I think of waving but my hand is numb.

He raises his eyebrow at me, lips slightly parted.

Now, he's walking closer to my lane. And I don't know how I feel about it.

Both Matthias and Eunica are silent, stepping a couple feet away. They continue to bowl but I'm sure they are trying to listen to our conversation.

“Hi,” Jonathan whispers, lowering his head, trying to level our eyes. I barely hear what he says as voices around us are roaring.

I arch my head up a little and watch him tuck his hands into his pockets. He wore a button-down shirt and slacks–slightly overdressed but I'm not going to point that out to him.

“I didn't know you bowl,” I slowly say while putting all my weight on one foot. I tuck my hands into the back pockets of my jeans.

“This is actually my first time coming here,” he admits, “I used to bowl in high school and so all my bowling was done at school.” The corners of his mouth quirk up. “Gio used to bowl too.”

I’m swaying to the side, thinking of what to say next. I want to bring up the other night, asking if he feels better. He has to feel better, right? That explains why he's out and about. Not to mention his bruised eye is no longer as prominent as the night I saw him.

My vision focuses back on Jonathan when he coughs.

“Sooo, are you and my parents, like, close?” Jonathan asks, running a hand through his golden hair.

“I bump into your mom from time to time,” I begin. “I think that's why she invited me over the other night…” I trail, thinking of continuing.

I don't.

“Right.” He takes in a long breath. “Yeah, about that night. Uhhh, I’m sorry you, you had to see me that way. I–uhhhhhh–” He blows out his cheeks, struggling to find the right words.

“I see her a lot in the shop,” I say quickly, changing the subject. I lead a little forward, saying. “She's got extra hands this summer from your cousin.”

Jonathan continues to look me in the eyes. “Yeah, Kian’s been helping around my mom’s shop, mostly because...because me and Gio suck as sons,” he forces a laugh, leaning on the heels of his shoes.

He lifts his shoulders in a half shrug. “I just think I'm not friendly enough, like Kian or Gio. I think Gio can make it but me?” he snorts, wrinkling his nose, “Not a chance.”

“You never know,” I muse as I let out a small laugh.

Jonathan’s scratching his arm, throwing his head back, chuckling. “Maybe one day you're at the shop, I'll serve you.”

And that's when it starts to get quiet between us. Jonathan’s smiling and what I notice is that he’s genuinely cracking a laugh.

He takes a step back, saying, “I think I'll leave you to your friends.”

He turns his heels, scratching the back of his head. Before I look away, I notice his cheeks are lifted. “See you around, Beth.”

I look around to find Matthias and Eunica but all that's running through my head is Jonathan Olsen’s hoarse, flat voice that somehow is on repeat.
♠ ♠ ♠
I’m sorry for the wait :( hopefully this and the update on Sunday will make up for it!

shoutout to Rav for dealing with me and this story ♡ ilysm