Status: completed as of 26 aug 2018 (◕‿◕✿)

Kian

The Invitation

COLTON YELLS OUT Kian’s name before running up to him.

Kian's exiting the bakery when my ten-year-old brother runs and hug him. Kian walks back with Colton, holding his hand. He looks at my parents and me before handing over Colton.

“I believe this kid belongs to you,” Kian says, smiling down at Colton.

My parents and I are exiting the market with bags full of groceries in each air when I spot him. I am kicking the store’s door closed with my foot as I hear Kian’s fruity voice echo behind me.

“He just can't get enough of you,” I say.

Kian smiles at me, remaining silent. I bite down on my tongue wishing I didn't just say that.

I watch his face twist with surprise. He says lightly, “What can I say? Cole and I are best buds now.”

Kian’s attention is now directly on the multiple bags we all had in our hands. He offers Colton's hands to my mom and begins to grab the two bags from my hold. I try to resist but he didn't take the hint.

I am tiptoeing over Kian as I wait for him to speak. He remains quiet while my mom stands over him, smiling a wide grin. I have a feeling my mom is aching to ask Kian all types of questions.

“Where are you all heading?” Kian asks, tightly holding onto the grocery bags.

“Oh, dear, you don't need to do that,” Mom says quickly, rushing to say those words. “Our home is just around the corner.” She looks between Kian and me with a small smile forming on her lips.

“It's no problem,” he hums.

While pushing the receipt in her pockets, Mom thanks him.

“Are you one of Bethany’s friends from high school?” Mom asks while we begin to walk back home.

I grunt. “Mom.”

She gives me a look. “What?” She's doing the mom thing again. “I'm her mom. You probably know that but oh well.” She laughs at her joke while Kian kindly joins her. “This is her dad and her brother, but you probably already know that, too.”

“Nice to meet all of you,” Kian says while giving my parents a small smile. “I went to school outside of Beasley so I don't think we’ve ever crossed paths.” He's nodding, sneaking a small look at me. “Adalyn Olsen is my aunt, um, I'm not sure if you know her–”

“Oh, yes, Adalyn!” Mom beams, “She lives a few blocks from us. I think Beth and Cole were just at her house for dinner a couple weeks ago.” Mom looks at us and says, “Adalyn makes the best snickerdoodles.”

“She does,” Dad adds, “She needs to add those bad boys to that bakery of hers. And maybe I'll never leave that shop.”

They all start to laugh.

“Kian works at the bakery,” I add.

“I do,” Kian confirms. “Mostly just to help out.”

We reach our home and it's odd that Kian’s making his way towards our front steps. He waits on the side of the steps while Mom searches for the keys. Kian trails her quietly, placing the grocery bags near the kitchen. He high fives Colton before saying a small goodbye.

“Wait, are you leaving? Did you want to join us for dinner? We’re about to make some pizza,” Mom urges while putting the groceries in the kitchen. “We also have some ice cream for dessert.”

Kian scratches the back of his neck and shows off a small smile. “That's nice of you, thank you. But I wouldn't want to overstep in any way.”

“Oh, come on,” Dad says, smiling. “It's our way of saying thank you for your help...and your muscles.”

Kian's hunching his back slightly while giving me this soft stare. I didn’t know what to do but stare back at him.

“Please stay, Kian,” Colton urges, tugging on Kian’s shirt. “If you get bored before dinner, we can play in my room. I just got these cool new comics!”

He kneels down and touches knuckles with my brother. “You got it, dude.”

Kian looks up at me. He doesn't smile or laugh (like he normally does) but instead, Kian stares at me with his warm eyes. With his gaze directly on me, I notice Kian's eyes start to glow as if a sunset is trapped in the center of his pupils.
♠ ♠ ♠
a short chap buT GET READY FOR THE NEXT ONE \ (•◡•) /