Play That Record

can't you see me standin' here

The house next door to mine had been vacant for thirteen years, ever since I was four, when the Thomson’s moved into it. There was really no reason for the house to be vacant that long; there was nothing wrong with the house and, contrary to local legend, a murder had not occurred there. In fact, the house was even nicer than mine, so it always puzzled me that no one was buying (or even renting) it.

I wasn’t aware that the house had even been sold; the For Sale sign in the yard had been taken down when I was nine. So when my sister came rushing into my room yelling about how we had new neighbors, it took a second for my mind to comprehend the information. New neighbors?

I shushed my sister, got up off of my bed, and looked out the window in my room, which looked out towards the front of my house. Across the street, a moving van was being unloaded. There were so many men working to get the furniture and what else into the house that it was hard to tell who was a part of the family that was moving in. Suddenly, a lady opened the front door and walked out, her sundress flowing behind her. She walked over to one of the men unloading the van and whispered something in his ear. They smiled at each other lovingly, so I surmised that they must be a couple.

“Do you think they have kids?” my sister asked me, interrupting me from my thoughts.

I shrugged. “I don’t know,” I told her. “They look old enough to have kids, but that doesn’t mean that they do.”

Ellie, my sister, smiled and looked up at me. “I hope they have a little girl that I can play with,” she said wistfully.

I smiled at her. “I hope they do, too, Ell.” I was about to turn around and sit back down on my bed when a tall figure caught my eye. One of the men that were helping unload the van turned around and looked right at me. He was probably just looking at the house, not actually me, since he was so far away and was facing the sun, but it seemed like me was looking at me. He was not actually a man, but rather a young man. Specifically, he was a young man who was wearing a Van Halen t-shirt that showed off his gorgeously tanned arms.

Up until that moment, I had never believed in love at first sight, but boy did that boy made me a believer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jump by Van Halen