Status: Dat dat dadda dat dat dadda! Circus afro, circus afro! Polka-dot, polka-dot afro!

Master of Mine

Lessons to Be Learned

For the rest of the day my mind kept swimming. Maybe it was the pain medication that the nurse had given me. Or it was the possibility of finally having a kind vampire taking care of me. Either way I walked through the halls on my crutches in a shocked stupor.
As the bell rang to signal the end of another school day, I picked up my books and crutches and headed to the Art wing. I panicked slightly when I wondered if I should put my books away and grab my backpack. I certainly didn't want to keep Gerard waiting. . .
That was another thing. Derek had always given me a set list of directions to heed at the fear of another beating. How in the hell was I supposed to act around Gerard when he hadn't even told me what he wanted from me? Of course, besides telling me to do as he said, and he hadn't said much after that. 'Screw it, I'll just go to Art History and go from there.', I decided mentally.
Making sure to stand right outside the door as the students poured out, I waited for him again. Leaning against the wall behind me, I gave my armpits a rest from the crutches and relaxed.
This time he took longer than before. I was almost to the point of doing the terrible mistake of looking in when he strode out with confidence. His raven hair was messy, like his hands had been running through it, and his eyes searched the hall before landing on me beside him.
He looked down at me and gave me a wide smile. "Well done, I was actually testing you to see if you would listen."
Not knowing how to reply, I just gave a soft smile at his praise.
He chuckled a little. I felt my skin shiver slightly at the sound, it was a quiet, musical chuckle, like the wind had carried it to my ears.
A hand on my upper arm brought me back to reality. I had been staring at him again, and this time I think he had noticed.
"What? Do I have something on my face or something?" He brought a hand up to his face and wiped at his cheeks comically.
I had learned long ago not to laugh at a vampire. They were to be treated with the utmost respect, and no well-respected figure wanted to be laughed at. Especially by someone who was in a lower class than them.
So I contained the laughter that was bubbling in me and covered my smile with a blank look.
"No master, I just wanted to thank you for taking me to the nurse.", I held up my crutches to make my cover more believable. He stopped trying to wipe an invisible blemish off and gave me another smile before nodding.
"I prefer to take care of my possessions, Frankie. Your former master had the right to give you his punishment, however medical assistance is a necessary thing. I wouldn't want you walking with a limp for the rest of your life." Gerard finished his small explanation with a slight touch on my shoulder.
I didn't expect it, so naturally I flinched. His movement froze for a moment, and I watched as he bit his lip before going ahead and putting his hand on me.
"I believe I said it before, but perhaps it will take your a while to understand it. I won't harm you Frankie, unless you give me a reason to." He reiterated himself, taking the time to move his fingers on my shoulder in a reassuring manner.
This entire side of a vampire, one that was kind and comforting, was giving me a small anxiety attack. I didn't know how to feel, act, or speak in a reaction, so I stayed silent and didn't move, until his hand left my shoulder.
"Come on." I lifted my head at the order and saw him gesturing with his head for us to leave. "Time to get you settled in and introduce you to my family." I nodded and started walking with him on my crutches before I realized I was still holding my schoolbooks.
He glanced down and spotted them as well. Without saying a word, we started down the hall that lead to my locker. Upon arriving, he stood by as I took my book bag out.
"You're allowed to go to your locker before meeting with me, alright Frankie?", he looked at me for a reply, to which I nodded. He then started walking down another hallway, and stopped by a locker, which I understood to be his, judging by the way he turned the combination lock easily.
I held out my hand so he could give me his book bag, and instead of a bag that was made out of canvas and used to transport textbooks, I received the raise of his eyebrow.
"I can carry my own things. You're already having trouble using those crutches and holding onto your own book bag.", he intoned, looking pointedly at me.
I knew my own eyes were probably wide at the fact that he was actually taking my condition into consideration. So it came as no surprise that the words that came out of my mouth were, "Thank you."
With a smirk, he closed his locker. "No need to thank me. Now come on, time to go home."
Gerard started sauntering away and towards the large exit doors of the school. After a moment, I followed him with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been a while, my friends! But here's a new chapter that I hope you enjoy!