I Can't Believe How Bad You Got Me

To Kirstie and Ryan

When we got to the reception, Jake seemed a bit nervous. He had been preparing for his best man speech for a while though. I don’t know what he has to worry about. As that time grew nearer, he started bouncing his knee slightly, telling me he was even more nerves than he was letting on.

“You’ll be ok,” I reached out to put my hand on it, stopping it for the time being.

“Oh, I’m fine,” he quickly assured me.

“Of course you are,” I grinned and leaned over with Riley in my arm to give him a quick kiss.

When I pulled away, I caught his smile. There we go. He’s got this. I’ve heard bits and pieces of it as he mumbling while he wrote it. After a few more moments, he sucked in a deep breath and pushed himself to his feet. He looked around for a moment before asking for everyone’s attention. Once he had it, he glanced down at me and flashed off one last smile.

“Some of you know me, but for those of you who don’t exactly, I’m Jake. I’m also lucky enough to have Ryan’s little sister as my wife and the wonderful mother of my child,” he paused to smile yet again. “And I’m kind of Kirstie’s best friend, but…” he stopped again to give a playful shrug. I wasn’t close enough to see Kirstie’s reaction, but I bet she was rolling her eyes… playfully of course.

“When Ryan asked me to be his best man, I… was shocked to say the least. Before I was even dating Kylee, him and I… didn’t like each other…”

“We hated each other,” Ryan butted in.

“Well, I didn’t hate you…” Jake teased back, causing everyone to give off a laugh.

“As my relationship with his sister got more serious, it started opening him up to me I guess. We… kind of became close. By the time Ky and I got married, I felt like we were really good friends.

“But this isn’t about Kylee and I. It’s about two of my best friends wanting to spend their lives together. Kirstie and I have been friends ever since I can remember. She’s helped me so much in everything that I do. I know that she’ll be everything that Ryan could ever need. She always seems to be happy and is so encouraging. But there’s also not a doubt in my mind that Ryan’s everything that Kirstie could need. I’ve seen how well he’s taken care of his sister and looks after her. I could only imagine how well he’d treat his wife.

“So, here’s to Kirstie and Ryan,” he said and picked up his champagne glass, raising it into the air. “I know you two are going to be so happy together.”

And with that toast, everyone else raised their glasses. Kirstie came rushing over and wrapped Jake up in a hug. She had a few tears in her eyes still, but it was still such a cute moment. Someone better be taking pictures! After their embrace, I… had to give my maid of honor speech.

“Most of you probably know me,” I started, “But I’m Kylee. I’ve been lucky enough to be Ryan’s little sister for 23 years now. I’ve been even luckier to be best friends with Kirstie for the past five. We always hung out with each other at the races and we just clicked. She didn’t really get to know Ryan for awhile though. They kind of never wanted to admit that they liked each other. I just knew though. Ryan never gets crushes on girls. Every time he looked at Kirstie though, his eyes lit up and would stay that way until she left. Then they’d get sad and he was like a pathetic little puppy,” I paused, letting everyone’s laughter subside.

“I’ve known for a long time that you two were perfect together. I know your lives are going to be filled with love and joy. And you’re always surrounded by loving family and friends.”

And with that, I ended the toast. This time both Ryan and Kirstie came over to pull me in for a hug. Once Ryan pulled away, he even gave Jake a quick hug. Aw! But then he took his niece from his brother in law.

“I love you guys,” Ryan spoke and looked up from my Riley.

“Aw, we love you too,” I cooed and pinched his cheek playfully.

“And I guess I love Kirstie too…” Jake huffed teasingly.

“Shut it, Whiner!” Kirstie still giggled and hugged him once again.

I was just so happy for my brother and best friend. I know how it feels to be married to the person that makes your heart skip a beat. It’s an amazing feeling. They’re going to be so happy together. I can’t wait to watch them settle into their married life and even start their own little family someday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ky

Comment??