Status: Every day unless we say.

We Are the Revelation!

The Infirmary

After Alexandria quoted the Terminator, I poked my head outside the door. Alexandria had started shooting at the shadow. She looked like she was trying to fight something in her head. I looked at the gun in my hand. Then I looked at Lexi, red hair flying, shooting arrows like there was no tomorrow. The shadow had just taken a hit to its already cracked skull. It growled. A black fluid had started to run down its face. Alexandria darted behind the shadow (who looked like it was about to die) and yanked an arrow out of her quiver. Before she could even raise her arm to stab it, it whirled its fat arm around and smacked her clear across the armory. She hit the wall and slid to a sitting position, unconscious. I gasped. Her head lolled to one side, and blood was coming out of her left shoulder. I looked back at the shadow.
It seemed to try to grin by stretching its cracked jaw up. He failed, by the way. I locked and loaded my Walter P99 and shot that stupid shadow right in its stupid eye. It let out a high pitched howl and clutched its socket. The entire form of the shadow began to quaver. The shadow looked at me. My head suddenly began to burn. Then I got a message from the shadow, probably sent telepathically.
‘I’ll be back’, it said in a low growl.
The shadow’s form shook more violently than before, and eventually disappeared into thin air. I sighed and wiped my forehead. I had been sweating while fighting the shadow. I looked back to Alexandria. The blood from her shoulder began to pool by her hand. Her face was streaked with dust. I ran to her. Once I got there, I noticed her eyes had been half-open the entire time she had been resting there. I looked at her shoulder. I guessed that it had dislodged when she hit the wall, because it looked out of place.
But I wondered where the blood came from. I found out as soon as I looked at the wall. Starting at a rusted nail protruding from the wall, there was a splattered line of blood dripping down the wall leading to Alexandria’s dislocated shoulder. My eyes darted around the room frantically. They were searching for Jake. I tried to carry her to the room that we were in before, but she was way too heavy. I grew more panicky. I began to yell.
“Jake! Medic! Someone! Help us!” Tears started to stream slowly down my dusty face from frustration and grief. I sat there, feeling helpless. Then, I remembered that I knew how to relocate a shoulder. I felt bad for Lexi, because she was going to have a pretty rude awakening. I held the shoulder in my cupped hands and counted.
“One… two… three!” I pulled the bone back into place with a resounding CRACK! I looked at Alexandria. Her green eyes flashed open like a child that had slept in then realized what time it was. Her head jerked up. She screeched.
“What the heck was that for??” She said angrily. She looked at me furiously, but that quickly shifted to pain. I told her about the Shadow and her shoulder. She touched her shoulder, but drew her hand back quickly. It was drenched in blood. Suddenly, I heard footsteps ca-lopping across the linoleum floor.
“Jake?” I said cautiously. The footsteps stopped abruptly. “Sapphire…? Is that you?”
Jake’s voice was a sound for sore ears.
“Yes! Jake! Alexandria and I are over here, but she’s badly injured!” I shouted.
The footsteps resumed, but faster. They grew louder as Jake approached us.
“Sapphire!” He said. He emerged from behind a large crate. His expression morphed from relief to shock. His eyes kept shifting from me to the pool of blood that had begun to expand. Jake cradled Alexandria in his arms, despite her protests.
“I can walk,” She said. Jake looked at her.
“You’re in no condition for that. I’m carrying you.” He said.
We walked to a door that I hadn’t noticed before. It was painted white with a red cross on it. The infirmary. Jake took her inside. The room was white and sterilized, and looked like any typical pristine hospital room, except for there were upside down crosses on the walls.
“Jake, what are those crosses for, and why are they upside down?” I asked.

Jake set Alexandria down on a hospital bed.
“Those are to ward off the shadows,” he said. “You see, they feed off of religious symbols. If the cross is upside-down, that wards them away. It’s a simple concept, really.”
I rolled my eyes.
Jake snapped his fingers and said, “Nurse.”
Suddenly, a pretty blonde girl walked in wearing a green bunny-suit like they have in operations. The girl quietly approached Alexandria and shoved her tender hand into her pocket. After a few seconds of digging around, she retracted her hand. In it were gauze and a large Band-Aid. She looked at Jake inquisitively, and he pointed to Alexandria’s injured shoulder. The blonde nurse looked at it, and grimaced. She carefully pulled down Alexandria’s bloodied sleeve, revealing the wound. The nurse wiped it down with some antiseptic that she grabbed off a desk behind her.
Then she carefully placed the bandage. Then she wrapped the gauze around the shoulder. She used a bracket to seal off the gauze. She smoothed it tenderly. She flashed us a pearly-white smile. She exited through the door she came through.
“Who was that?” Alexandria asked while cradling her shoulder in her cupped hand.
“That was Reini,” Jake said. “Reini Powell, the nurse. She came here, like you, a few years ago. She was only fourteen. She had an unfortunate accident in C.C’s realm, damaging her mouth. She was an intern at a hospital, and knew a few things. She became our battlefield nurse, but, because of the accident, she’s a mute. She can’t talk. It’s pretty sad, but it’s still alright to converse. She can hear you. Just ask her yes or no questions.”
I tilted my head. “She was fourteen?” I asked. “How old is she now?”
Jake thought for a moment. “Twenty-six.” He said. Alexandria’s eyes nearly popped out of her face.
“Twenty-six? Your war has been going on for twelve years?” She exclaimed. Jake sighed and shook his head sadly.
“Longer. Much longer. Over eighty-four years.”