Status: Complete!

Mean Spirited

Sister, Mister

Samantha watched as Sophia tore the sparkling blue bow away from the carefully wrapped present. Sophia’s cheeks were as red as the lacy panties she pulled out of the blue box.

“Holly!” Sophia shouted, covering her mouth with her hand.

“Don’t act like you’re not impressed,” Holly smiled, “They’ll be perfect for your honeymoon.”

Sophia stood up, holding the panties in front of her. She turned to her sister and smiled, “What do you think, Sammi? Will James like them?”

Samantha smiled back her identical smile, “if you look anything like me in them, then he will.”

All the girls laughed and Sophia glared back at her twin before laughing along with them.

“We’ll be right back. We’ve got to get the cake from the kitchen,” Sophia addressed her friends before walking over to her sister, grabbing her wrist, and pulling her up.

Samantha followed her into the bright yellow kitchen. Sophia turned around and hugged her tightly.

“I can’t believe this is finally happening.” Sophia’s pitch became higher and Samantha knew she was on the verge of crying.

She chose her words carefully, not wanting to say anything to push Sophia’s tears over the edge, “Me neither. I love you, Soph.”

“I love you, too, Sammi.”

Samantha eyed her sister, pushing back a frown, “Promise me nothing will change between us.”

“I promise, Sam. You’ll always be my baby sister.”

Samantha pulled away from Sophia, shoving her, “Hey now, I’m only a baby by 4 and a half minutes.”

“And those four and a half minutes were just enough time for me to warn mom and dad about you,” Sophia winked, grabbing the cake off the counter and stepping back into the family room.

Samantha stood in the kitchen, attempting to release her tension. She backed up against the wall, breathing deeply. She couldn’t believe it was actually happening. Sophia was actually leaving her. She was picking someone else over her own sister. They had spent every waking moment together and before Samantha had realized what happened, James had stolen her away.

James was a charming man: polite, poised, and wealthy. He made Sophia very happy and Samantha was thankful for that, but she wasn’t ready to give her sister away. No matter how many times Sophia promised nothing would change, Samantha knew things would.

She took a deep breath, gaining her composure, before walking back into the family room to celebrate her sister’s upcoming wedding.

Nearly a month later, Samantha stood in a dimly lit ballroom, in front of a table at the head of the room, holding her wine glass in the air.

Samantha tapped her fork against her glass, demanding everyone’s attention. “I know this is only the rehearsal dinner but I would like to say a few words,” Samantha took a deep breath, smiling at the crowd, “Ever since she was a baby, Soph demanded she be first: the first one to get dinner, the first to get on the bus, the first at everything. In fact, my first memory is of Sophia throwing a shoe at my face because mom got me dressed before her. 24 years later, and Sophia still has to be first. She was the first to get a real job, the first to move out, and now, the first to get married. But, the thing about Sophia is, she doesn’t just have to be first, she has to be the best, and so she introduced us to James: perfect, charming James. The man Sophia grew up dreaming of. The only one good enough to be with my sister. James, although I may forever despise you for taking my best friend away from me, I love you like a brother and I wouldn't choose anyone else for her. With that, I leave you all to carry on with your meal.”

Samantha stepped away from the table and through the closest door. The chrome finished chef’s kitchen was surprisingly empty. Samantha took a deep breath, attempting to gain composure, but no matter how many times she breathed, she still felt the anger dwelling inside her. She clenched her fist and slammed it against the countertop.

“What’s going on in here?” James shouted from across the kitchen.

“Nothing,” Samantha grabbed her throbbing hand, holding it against her chest.

James approached her. “What happened to you?” he said, reaching for her hand.

“Nothing, James.”

“Oh, come on, Sam. Sophie may be too busy with the wedding to notice you’re acting strange, but I’m not. What’s got you all hot and bothered?”

“You, James. You’re taking Sophia away from me. You’re taking away my sister. Ever since she met you, she’s been spending less and less time with me. Well, I’ve had enough, James. I’m not going to let you take Sophia away from me anymore.”

“Sam, you can’t just tell me to go away. It’s not going to happen. I love your sister more than anything in the world and I’m going to marry her. You’re selfish for even thinking you can stop it.”

“You don’t love Sophia like I do!” Samantha could feel herself losing control and she was hopeless to stop it “She’s my twin. We’ve been together since before we were born. I’m not going to let you come between us.”

Samantha reached across the counter, pulling a knife off it. Before she knew what had happened, she had plunged the knife into James’ chest. He stood in front of her, his eyes wide in disbelief, and clutched his chest. He fell to the ground, blood pouring around him. Samantha took a few slow steps backward, shocked at what she had done.

She panicked and scanned the room. She spotted, in the corner, a trash compactor. She grabbed James’ lifeless hands and pulled him over to it. Struggling, she attempted to hold open the compactor door and throw James into it at the same time. When she finally fit James in and switched the compactor on, she breathed a sigh of relief, but that relief was short-lived.

In the middle of the room was a large pool of blood. She hurriedly grabbed some towels from a rack and smeared the blood on the floor. No matter how much she wiped, she couldn’t seem to get rid of the stain.

Samantha rummaged through the drawers and cabinets of the kitchen and finally found a large bottle of bleach. She dumped the bleach over the spill and wiped it one last time, finally removing James’ blood from the floor. The stained towels were thrown into the garbage and Samantha felt herself relax just as Sophia walked through the swinging doors.

“What’s that smell?” Sophia asked, holding her nose.

“I’m not sure. Let’s go back and enjoy the dinner,” Samantha smiled, grabbing her sister’s hand and pulling her out of the sin filled kitchen, "Nothing is going to come between us, Soph. I'm going to make sure of it."