Status: Active. Hope you like it! Please let me know what you think!

Transportation Miscalculation

Conversations and Revelations

Chapter 16 ~ Conversations and Revelations

~Loki~
I felt the, now familiar, surge of my magic as soon as Jinx laced her fingers with mine. A small smile graced my face as she pulled me towards her door. I stopped us just as we reached it. She turned to me with a confused expression on her face.

“Have you changed your mind about breakfast?” she queried.

“No,” I began, “but it is an awfully long way. I could simply transport us there if you wish.”

She tilted her head to the side in consideration. “Do you not want to spend the extra time it would take to walk there in my company?” she sounded a bit hurt. “I’m sure I can find my way if you would like to just go.”

The confusion and hurt on her face and in her voice nearly broke my heart. “No!” I quickly assured her, “I just thought you might like transporting without the resulting deadening of the senses that yours usually cause. I would very much like to spend the time in your company.”

Relief flooded her face, “Oh, okay. I would very much like to walk with you. I like stretching my muscles in the morning.”

“Of course,” I replied giving her hand a little squeeze before heading out the door and toward the dining hall.

Jinx walked close to my side looking all around her at the numerous paintings and sculptures that filled the halls. Every once in a while she would pull me to a stop and ask about one of the pieces. Most of the artwork depicted battles from Asgard’s past. I noticed that all of the paintings she stopped at had one thing in common; I was in them. I wondered if she noticed as well.

When we finally entered the dining hall my mother, father, and brother occupied it. I barely stopped the groan that rose in my throat from escaping my lips, but Jinx seemed to sense my distress and gave my hand a light squeeze.

She pulled me with her to the table and sat by my side, keeping hold of my hand the whole time. Just as we sat down my brother let out a booming laugh.

“Brother! Do you really feel so possessive of Lady Jinx that you need to dress her in the exact same thing as you?”

I blinked and looked at both my clothes and Jinx’s and realized I had done precisely that. Oops, I thought as Thor continued to laugh, it isn’t as if I have a reference for women’s clothing that ISN’T dresses, I just used my own clothes as a guide. I won’t make that mistake again.

“Loki,” came my mother’s chastising voice, “I had all those lovely dresses made for her. Why would you put her in a male’s clothing?”

Thor’s laughter sounded again, “He just doesn’t anyone else to find her desirable mother. He wants her all to himself.”

I was mad now, “She is just as beautiful in this as she was last night in her dress,” I snapped. “She could wear a burlap sack and still be the most beautiful woman in all the nine realms!”

~Jinx~
I felt myself blush a bit at Loki’s words. I felt I needed to diffuse this situation, as it was me that had requested the pants and shirt. I leaned in and kissed his cheek quickly before whispering a quick, “thank you,” before turning to his family. “I asked him to give me pants and a shirt. I don’t really wear dresses and am more comfortable in this. Loki was just honoring my wishes.”

I then began filling a plate with a bit of fruit and began eating after Loki had filled his own plate. I noticed Frigga’s sour expression soften and could still hear Thor chuckling.

Odin then spoke for the first time since Loki and I had entered. “Jinx, I have something I would very much like to discuss with you.”

“Discuss away,” I responded.

He threw a quick glance each at Loki and Frigga before returning his gaze to me. “I would like to bring in a tutor to help you develop your magic as well as your mental capacity.”

I wore a bemused expression when I responded, “My mental capacity? What? I’m not smart enough for you? Why? Because I’m from Earth?”

He seemed to realize his mistake because he quickly explained, “No, no, I only meant there are ways of opening your mind so it more readily accepts the new knowledge that will come with honing your magic.”

“Oh,” I felt a bit bad for snapping, “okay, will teach me?”

“Me,” came Loki’s clear voice.

“No!” Frigga exclaimed, before she looked quickly down at her hands.

I knew it was rude, but I was curious as to her panic, so I slipped into her head. I saw that her thoughts were on a conversation she had with Odin the night before. The conversation alarmed me. I needed to speak with Odin, alone.

“May I please have a word with you King Odin?” I requested, “Alone.”

Odin’s gaze sharpened before he nodded and stood. I followed his lead and we walked out onto the balcony, closing the doors behind us.

“What do you mean leaving may be the only way to keep me safe? Safe from what? What happened with the other couple?” I asked leaning against the railing staring at Loki.

“That was a private conversation between my wife and I,” Odin stated, but his voice sounded resigned rather than angry.

“Please tell me,” I requested, “I have the right to know what is going to happen to me and why.”

Odin sighed, “Yes, I suppose you do. I must request you not tell my son though.”

“Which part?” I asked dryly, “That I may have to leave or that you are hiding something about his parentage from him?”

“Do you know what I’m hiding about his parentage?” his voice cut sharply.

“No,” I answered honestly, “just that Frigga wants to tell him and let me dull the blow and you don’t think it is safe for me to do that. Why wouldn’t it be safe for me to comfort him? I do not believe he will hurt me.”

Odin sighed, “With the other couple that had the bond that you and Loki have the male was a very strong empath, like you. However, the bond he shared with his female made his abilities react differently that any other I have ever seen. His powers were not under his control when he was around her. Because of this he couldn’t stop himself from taking away all of her negative emotions. It got to the point that he was so overwhelmed with her negative emotions that he couldn’t make himself happy. In the end he, well, he took his own life,” Odin finished sadly.

“Was he trained in magic?” I asked in a bit of a panic.

“Yes, from a very young age,” was Odin’s reply, “he was one of the most gifted and proficient sorcerer I have ever met.”

“So, what? Am I totally screwed? Are my only options to leave Loki or go insane?!”

“I do not know,” the words were soft, soothing, “humans only use about 10% of their brains, perhaps if I am able to allow you access to the full 100% you will be able to adapt to the extra negative emotions. If it does not work however, I WILL send you back to Midgard before allowing my son to drive you insane.”

“But I love him!” I exclaimed before slapping my hand over my mouth. I love him? Where the hell did that come from? I’ve known him for two days! How CAN I love him? But the more I thought about it the more certain I became. I’m in love with Loki.