Status: Active. Hope you like it! Please let me know what you think!

Transportation Miscalculation

Watching and Claiming

Chapter 18 ~ Watching and Claiming

~Jinx~
The mark Loki had put on my arm was breathtaking. It was much like the tattoos from home, but different in that the lines shimmered and moved of their own accord. When receiving a message the knots unwound and formed into a beautiful script, then after the message was read the lines formed back into their clusters.

“What if I want to read the message again after it disappears?” I asked Loki.

He smiled at me indulgently, “It is magic Love, you can will it to do whatever you like.”

“Oh,” I mumbled, embarrassed, “should we test its range?”

He smiled again, “How about I teach you how to teleport on your own and then we can stand on opposite ends of Asgard and test out the range.”

I nodded, “Alright, teach me.”

He walked to one of the bookcases and pulled an old, dusty volume from the top shelf. He then set the book on the small table and indicated to one of the armchairs, motioning me to sit. When he took a seat in the other chair he immediately began flipping through the book. When he found what he was looking for he set the book in my lap.

“In order to be able to transport, or do any sort of magic really, you first must understand the mechanics. Read this chapter on teleportation and when you are finished we will try it out.”

I began flipping the pages trying to find out how long the chapter was. When I saw how long it was I looked up at Loki with a ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’ look on my face.

He smiled wickedly and stood, “Come find me when you’ve finished,” he quipped before leaving to go God knows where.

I sighed heavily and began to read.

~Loki~
As soon as I left my library I almost turned around and went back in. I wanted to be able to see Jinx absorb the knowledge and gain an understanding of this new magic. I knew it would look foolish to go back in straight away so instead I popped myself into her chamber and walked quickly into the bathroom.

I filled the sink basin with water and mumbled the spell that popped into my head. I watched closely as a white light emanated from the vessel. Then the surface of the water shimmered into an image of Jinx.

She was twisted sideways in the chair, her back against one arm with her legs thrown carelessly over the other. The book was in her lap and one finger trailed along the lines of text as she read.

Every once in a while her tongue would poke out between her teeth. Each time this happened she would furrow her brow and her finger would move back up the page a bit and her lips would move, forming the words that she was rereading. Sometimes she only needed to reread the passage once before her brow smoothed and her tongue hid back in her mouth. Other times, she would have to read the section several times, her forehead creasing more each time.

One such time, she had read the piece five times and still her finger moved back up the page again. I was about to go back and help her to understand what she was reading, but just as I was about to go she closed her eyes and took several deep breaths. She still had her eyes closed when her lips started moving; I leaned closer to the water’s surface hoping to hear what she was saying.

I missed the first word or two, but caught, “-you would completely understand this. I know I harp on your science-y brain sometimes, but I need it now. Please help me to understand,” the last sentence was vehement, if nearly silent.

I watched in wonder as her finger lit with a barely perceptible, not quite white, light. This time when her finger trailed down the page her brow didn’t furrow and her tongue stayed hidden. When she finished the portion that had been stumping her she simply continued on. She was reading faster now, her still-lit finger guiding her the entire time.

I knew she didn’t even realize her finger was alight, I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been practicing magic as long as I had. Half of the trick behind magic is wanting something with your whole heart, your whole soul, and then making it happen. Jinx must have wanted so badly to understand the text and complete her task that she had willed herself to do just that.

I smiled widely, she truly was gifted and I wasn’t about to let her go. No, I was going to make her mine. As soon as I was in her presence again I was going to give her a gift and ask her to be precisely that, mine.

~Jinx~
When I finished the chapter I felt I understood the concept of teleportation fully. I was confident I could accomplish it, but wanted to share the first time with Loki since he seemed so keen to teach me himself.

I smirked as I touched a finger to the golden, horned helmet on my wrist and sent ‘I’ve finished. Come teach me to put my new knowledge into practice’.

He appeared nearly instantly. I smiled at his excited face, but there was another emotion battling for dominance on his face. I could have sworn it was nervousness, but what did he have to be nervous about?

“I have something I would like to discuss with you before we get into practicing,” the nerves were clear in his voice.

I tilted my head to the side slightly; “Okay, discuss away,” my voice was reassuring.

He took a deep breath, then closed the distance between us and held my right hand firmly in both of his. “Jinx, I know we’ve only known each other for a few days, but I feel like I’ve known you my entire life. I don’t know if it is because of our magical link or if we are simply soul mates, but I never want to lose you.” He wrapped his hand around my right wrist and a gold charm bracelet with a single charm dangling from it appeared on my wrist. “Will you accept this gift as a sign that we belong to one another? This may be foolish or childish because we have known each other for such a short time, but I love you.”

I looked into his eyes that were so open and filled with sincerity and knew he was speaking only the truth. This knowledge filled me with such joy that I thought perhaps my heart may burst. I looked to the charm on my wrist and saw that it was an infinity symbol with tiny emeralds embedded in it. It was beautiful and tears pricked my eyes at the sight. “Yes,” I whispered, “yes, I will be yours. I love you too.”

The smile that graced his face was blinding and only lasted a few seconds before he composed himself and stated, “Right, now how about that transportation lesson?”

I laughed before giving a small salute, “Yes sir! I think I’ve got it may I just try?”

“Sure, just remember you must be able to picture where you want to go clearly in your mind or the person you want to be next to. First just try going into your room. Picture it clearly and then make yourself appear there.”

I nodded, closed my eyes, and pictured myself sitting on my bed in the room right next to where I was currently standing. I suddenly felt as if I was floating before feeling something soft beneath me. I opened my eyes and realized I was sitting cross-legged on my bed just like I had pictured it.

~Loki~
I heard Jinx’s triumphant cry coming from the next room moments after she disappeared. A smile graced my face as I appeared next to her. She launched herself off the bed and into my arms. “I did it!” she cheered.

“Well done my dear. Now this time I want you to count to ten after I disappear, then picture yourself standing next to me. This is a bit harder, so take your time and picture it as clearly as possible, okay?

She nodded and I traveled to the shores on the very edge of Asgard. About a minute later I felt a weight on my back and I craned my neck to see that Jinx was smiling broadly as she clung to my neck with her arms and her legs wrapped around my waist.

She was giggling madly, “I thought this would be more fun,” she stated.

I shifted her so she was in front of me with her arms and legs still in their places. I kissed her deeply and we were both smiling into our first proper kiss. I licked her bottom lip and her mouth opened with a small gasp. I gently worked my tongue between her lips for a moment before pulling it back and softly biting her lower lip and tugging as I broke the kiss, finally releasing her lip.

I looked into Jinx’s eyes to make sure I hadn’t rushed her into something she didn’t want. Her eyes were a bit glassy until she blinked once and crashed her lips back onto mine. This time she stuck her tongue between my open lips and I gently sucked on it before she pulled it back and nipped at my lower lip. The nip was just hard enough to draw a drop of blood to my lip, but the tiny wound healed instantly with us so close to one another.

I broke our kiss again and looked at the sky noticing that it was time for the mid-day meal. “Shall we go have some lunch?” I asked a bit breathlessly.

“Sure,” Jinx answered, shifting herself back onto my back, “but only if I can try transporting both of us into the dining hall.”

I grabbed her hands and held them firmly, “Okay, just remember, you have to picture both of us there, and hold onto me tightly.”

She didn’t respond other than tightening her legs around my waist and squeezing my hands.

The next thing I knew we were both in the dining hall, Jinx still clinging securely to my back. She laughed exuberantly at her success.