Status: Active. Hope you like it! Please let me know what you think!

Transportation Miscalculation

Pulling at Heartstrings

Chapter 1 ~ Pulling at Heartstrings

~Loki~

As I lay in my bed deciding whether or not I wanted to get up and practice my water manipulation in the gardens while the sun rose I suddenly felt this sharp tug in my chest. I shot up into a seated position and looked down just above my heart where I had felt the acute sensation. There was no change to the skin in the spot and the pain was gone as quick as it had appeared. Then, not five minutes later, I felt it again, one quick tug, then nothing more.

Odd, I thought as I took stock of my entire body, nothing out of the ordinary. But what was that?

After sitting and staring at myself for several minutes I finally decided the pain was nothing, a random occurrence. I rose from my bed and changed into my attire for the day. After slipping on my boots I made my way to my favorite fountain in the entire garden and began pulling at the water making it form into many mythical beasts. As I watched the sun climb over the palace I settled the water back into the pool at the base of the fountain and made my way inside for breakfast.

~Jinx~

I woke with a start just as the sun was coming up. I couldn't remember what had woken me until it happened again a few minutes later. An intense tugging at my heart. I pulled the collar of the t-shirt I wore to bed the night before away from my skin and looked down. Nothing. The skin wasn't red and there was nothing sticking out of my shirt or skin that may have caused the pain.

What the hell?! It can't be nothing, it woke me from a dead sleep!

I sat very still just looking down at my chest for at least ten minutes, yet no more happened. I huffed a sigh and lay back down knowing it was far too early for me to wake up. I always sleep past noon.

~Loki~

I ate breakfast quickly, not wanting to encounter my father or brother this early in the morning. Though, I needn't have worried, it would be mid-morn before anyone else ventured into the dining hall. I always ate quickly, just in case.

After I finished I walked to the palace library in search of a book I hadn't read yet. Perhaps one of the ones recently acquired from the bookkeeper's last trip to Midgard. Humans mostly wrote terrible drivel, but every so often a decent Midgardian author came along. The last one I thoroughly enjoyed was Tolkien. Though true elves of Alfheim are nothing like the ones in the book, it was still entertaining.

As soon as I entered the library Biyn, the current bookkeeper, popped his head around the bookshelf he was currently shelving books on.

"Ah, Sire, back again already?"

"Yes, I was wondering if you found any interesting books in your travels to Midgard this past time?"

"I think I have just the thing Sire, a seven book series all about magic! Would that be of any interest?" Biyn asked, a small, knowing, smirk appearing on his lips.

"As if you even have to ask," I replied, I always read any book he found about magic, mostly to laugh at it, but also because it is my favorite topic, "and I have asked you to call me Loki, if only when we're alone. What is the author's name?"

"Rowling, I believe, Master Loki."

I huffed, "Just Loki, Biyn please. May I have the first book?"

"It is up in your usual reading place Lokiā€¦sir."

I grumbled under my breath as I walked away. As I reached the bottom of the stairs that lead to the second story lounge I called over my shoulder, "you know I could have you thrown in the dungeon, right?" All I heard was a soft chuckle as I mounted the stairs. I saw the book as soon as I reached the top step; I walked over to the overstuffed chair in front of the fire, sat down, and opened the book, settling in for a long read.

Five chapters later I looked out at the sun and realized it was mid-day. I sighed and climbed to my feet, slipped the book under my arm, and made my way back to the dining hall for the mid-day meal. As I walked, however, I felt another of those damn tugs at my heart and nearly dropped my book in surprise. I looked around to make sure no one was around to see what I did next. Seeing no one, I sank down against the nearest wall, pulled off my shirt, and stared down at my chest with my hand covering my heart. I waited exactly five minutes and, just as this morning, there came another tug, but I couldn't see anything and obviously it wasn't something on the outside or my hand would have hindered it.

What is going on? Maybe you're going crazy. Nobody asked you! Great now I'm arguing with myself! If it happens again, I will go to the healers and have them make sure nothing is amiss with my health.

The decision made, I stood, slipped my shirt back on, and walked off to the dining hall to eat. This, however, turned out to be a mistake as Thor, Lady Sif, and The Warriors Three were still seated eating their meals.

~Jinx~

I woke up again at 11:30, rolled out of bed, and went to take a nice, hot, shower. I needed it after getting woken up before the freaking sun! I just stood under the hot spray for half-an-hour without doing so much as one shower-type thing. I just stood there, half-asleep. Then I felt it again, a swift jerk at my heart. I looked down and glared at the fact that there was no change to my chest.

"Okay heart," I said aloud, "342 years is a good run, I'm proud of you, but if you are going to stop working just do it already, enough jerking me around!"

I then proceeded to laugh at the fact that my heart was literally doing just that. I laughed the entire five minutes that it took for the damn thing to tug again. I swiftly shut off the taps in the shower, wrapped my towel around myself, and ran to my phone to call Cara and tell her I was dying. Have I mentioned the fact that I tend to overreact, like, all the time?