Status: Active. Hope you like it! Please let me know what you think!

Transportation Miscalculation

Danger and Sleeplessness

Chapter 3 ~ Danger and Sleeplessness

~Jinx~

When I finally got Cara to stop jabbering on about soul mates and destiny I asked if she would like to head to my place for a home-cooked meal as thanks for helping me out. She eagerly accepted as she had had my cooking before and knew it was delicious. What can I say? I've had over 300 years to practice.

We walked out to her black Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster and I stopped a couple feet away looking around me. It felt as though someone was watching me, but I didn't see anyone besides us. I slowly climbed into the car, still on edge.

As we pulled up to my apartment building there he was leaning against the door. The same man that stopped me from seeing Tony Stark. I sighed, "It seems it is time for me to leave," I murmured to Cara. She turned sharply looking at me with sorrow and determination. I had warned her that this day would come.

With a single tear rolling down her cheek she leaned over and kissed my cheek pulling me into an awkward hug. "Stay safe," she warned, "and don't let them change you."

"Thank you," I muttered in her ear, "you are my friend and sister. I love you. Stay safe and please don't tell anyone about me," I begged.

"Never, I love you too. Goodbye."

With that I stepped out of the car and Cara pulled away as quick as she could, leaving faint skid marks behind. I walked over to the man still propped against the door.

"Hello Erica, a.k.a. Jinx, lovely day."

"Hello Phil Coulson, agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. What can I do for you?" He gave a slight jerk of surprise hearing me speak his name and place of employment as easily as he had mine.

"We would like to speak with you."

I could feel the three men that stood behind me, keeping me from running was my guess. "I will speak with YOU with the conditions that it is just you and I in my apartment and you are completely unarmed and your men stay down here on the street." I folded my arms across my chest to show him I wouldn't change my terms.

"Very well," Phil retorted with a curt nod. He then began to remove his weapons, one gun holstered at his hip and another at his ankle. Then he pulled a knife from his belt, handed the three weapons to one of the men behind me, and turned to escort me up to my apartment.

We entered my apartment and I plopped down on my favorite chair waving a hand toward the couch indicating he should sit. He took a seat on the end of the couch nearest me and turned to face me.

He cut right to the chase, "We at S.H.I.E.L.D. would like for you to join us as an agent. Of course you would have to be tested and trained, but we have been watching you for some time and believe you could be a great asset to us."

"And if I refuse?" I asked smoothly.

"That wouldn't be wise, we also believe that if you are allowed to remain unchecked you may cause more harm than good. I have been directed to bring you in one way or another. I would advise you to come willingly and have a chance at freedom."

My eyes narrowed, "Are you threatening me Agent Coulson?"

"Yes," he replied simply, "now come with me."

"No way."

He slipped a syringe out of his inside pocket and came towards me. The next thing I knew I was in the middle of a very busy street. I tried to find my bearings, but after I transport all my senses seem to shut down for a short time. That is why I didn't see it. That is why I didn't hear it. That is why my next life-saving transport didn't come in time to stop me from being hit by the semi-truck and the driver that wasn't paying attention and didn't even slow down. My mind was foggy and my body was broken, but just then, as I slowly slipped into unconsciousness, I felt a tug at my heart and I transported once more.

~Loki~

I lay in bed that night tossing and turning. I couldn't get my mother's story out of my head. It seemed like a children's story and truly it was. She had mentioned she told it to me when I was 5. Perhaps there was more to the story then, perhaps a more adult; more detailed version resided in the library. I would ask Biyn to look for the full story for me tomorrow when the older man came in for work.

Realizing that lying in my bed was doing nothing for me I grabbed the book I had acquired and headed for the gardens. Yes, it was the middle of the night, but the moon was full and if that did not provide enough light I could summon a light or conjure a fire.

I made my way to the center of the maze and sat leaning against the tree. I opened my book and started reading, but I was distracted. I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was wrong, but not here and not for me. It felt as if a person I knew, yet didn't, was in trouble. I felt an icy chill of fear slide down my back, not my fear, but hers.

It was a female, I was certain of it without knowing why. Somehow, I was experiencing an echo of what this girl was feeling. Suddenly I felt searing agony radiate all over my body, then as fast as it had come the pain was gone. Finally a firm tug at my heart and suddenly, with a bright flash of green light, right in front of me, was a girl, she was battered, broken and barely breathing.