Start of Something Good

Chapter Three

"This was really good, Mrs. Duchene, thank you so much for going through all this trouble." Jeff spoke up for the second time of the night, looking at Matt's mother. He put his fork and knife down on his plate and took a sip of the water in front of him.

"Oh it was no trouble at all!" She exclaimed, a smile spreading across her face. "Your family is worth it, anyway," She beamed at Andrew and Elizabeth, starting a new conversation with them while Jeff looked nervously at Matt. He had seen him play for Colorado during the season, but he had never expected to be sitting at his dinner table.

"So how do you feel about the draft?" Matt asked, breaking the silence between them.

"It's okay, I don't really know what to expect, though…" Jeff finally put his glass down, now looking up at Matt.

"You'll be fine, you just sit in the crowd until they call your name… Sure, you're gonna be nervous, but it's really not as bad as you may think. Walking up there was the part I was most nervous about, but I don't think that will be a problem."

"I just don't know…" Jeff swallowed. "Any tips for me?"

"Well… You'll have your family there with you so you have someone to talk to and try to calm you down… And do you have a girlfriend? Sorry if I'm prying!"

"It's fine… And I…" Jeff bit his lip, "Not a girlfriend, per se, but…"

"Oh… What's her name?" Matt grinned, Jeff seemed to blush for almost everything.

Jeff looked down, mumbling, "Isabella…"

"Nice!" Smiling, Matt looked over at his mom and dad, who were in full conversation with Jeff's parents. "Let's go outside, I can show you around, or something."

"Yes please…"

"So how come you guys went to so much trouble coming here?"

Jeff shrugged, "We have relatives in the area and apparently my mom went to college with your dad or something… I'm not sure about all the details, but we hang out around here a lot in the summer."

"Ohh, got it…" Matt looked up as they turned a corner, "So this girl…" He grinned again, "Have you asked her to come to the draft or is it not that serious yet?"

"Well uh…" Once again, Jeff turned red, "No… I like her a lot, but I didn't want to put too much pressure on it already, you know?"

"True…" Matt chewed his lip, "But you could end up moving anywhere across Canada and the States, you probably need to figure something out if you feel like it could go somewhere with her."

"Yeah, I guess you're right… How are you so smart about it, anyway? Stupid question, you probably have a girlfriend…"

"I actually don't," Matt shook his head. He wasn't sure if he was ready to spill his guts about the crush he was secretly having on the photographer. Well, secretly was not true, the entire team knew exactly who he liked, and they loved teasing him about it. "I haven't had time to meet anyone, really. The rookie year is all about the hockey, at least it was for me. You gotta prove yourself."

"Oh…" Jeff looked taken aback, like he hadn't expected that.

"But you shouldn't feel that way!" Matt hurried to say. "You've already got something going, you don't have to "go looking", or whatever."

"Right…" Jeff swallowed. "I'm supposed to go out with her again on Friday, but I've felt so lost since the last date. I feel like I'm too nervous every time I try talking to her. I don't know what to do."

"You want me to come with you?"

Jeff frowned, "What?"

"Not like a third-wheel thing, but like a double date. She could probably bring one of her friends, right? We could help you out if you get stuck."

"That's not a bad idea… Are you sure about that?"

"Yeah!" Matt exclaimed. "I've got a buddy in Toronto, anyway, I could stay over at his place after your date."

"That's great, I'll owe you big time."

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure I'm gonna need something from you some day." Matt winked and held up his hand to show his mom they had seen them. Apparently they had gotten back just in time, since the Skinner's were on their way out. "I'll see you Friday, then. You can text me details and I'll be there."

"Great, thanks again." Jeff stopped talking as they reached the Duchene drive-way. "Thanks for everything, Mr and Mrs Duchene."

"You're so welcome, dear! Elizabeth I will call you next week for that shopping trip?"

"Absolutely, looking forward to it."

Matt smiled a little as they drove off. Even if it wouldn't be the one he'd want to go out with, he had a date Friday night. He couldn't remember the last time he had been out with a girl. It would be fun.

-

"Um…" Bella rose from her lying position on the couch and read through the text again. "Emma?"

"Yeah?" She had just gotten out of the shower and was wrapping a towel around her hair. "What's up?"

"How do you feel about going out on Friday?"

"Like to a club? I don't know, I haven't been out in a while…"

"No… Um… Jeff suggested a double date with his friend. Apparently he needs to be set up."

"Really?" Emma frowned. "I don't know, Bella…"

"Please?" Bella pleaded and gave her best puppy-dog look. "I'll… I'll buy you pizza?"

Emma laughed, "Wow you're a bad briber…" She sighed. "Fine, it's not like I have anything to do anyway. I'll be some loser's date for a couple of hours."

"Heyyy don't call him loser, you haven't met him yet!" Bella said, hurrying to text Jeff back. "I'm sure he's a nice guy."

"Yeah, I bet…" Emma sat down on the edge of the couch. "What are you watching, anyway?"

"Pretty Little Liars, it's soooo good."

"Oh yeah, I saw the first two seasons, haven't caught up yet."

"What better time than now, I'll start over!"

Emma shook her head, grinning, "You're a weirdo but I love you."

"Hey! Now I hope your date is a loser. Kidding."

"Yeah, right! Move over, you're taking up all the space."

"I'm tiny!"

"You still have legs longer than mine, so moooove!"

"When are you going back home, again?"

Emma kicked her gently, putting her tongue out, "Shut up, I'm watching this."

"Yeah yeah." Bella paused. "You should shave those legs before the date."

Emma groaned, "This is why I don't go on dates."
♠ ♠ ♠
Heeey guys! I didn't quite know how to end this so I just kind of left it like that. Hope you like it! And I'm trying to work on chapter 4 as we speak. Kay bye!