With Love, From Italy

One

One
To say that Leigh was unimpressed so far that morning was an understatement. She had woken up to find that her housemate had been doing midnight baking again; which was fine, only that the sink looked like the dishes hadn’t been done for a week. Then she had rushed for a shower to discover there was no hot water, and now she was frantically trying find to the printed concept she had left out to dry on the couch arm overnight, when she should have left for work five minutes ago. Her boss had thrown the idea on her last minute, and as much as she hated taking work home she knew the only way it was going to be ready was to print it from home. Rubbing her face furiously she finally gave up searching herself and moved to her housemate’s bedroom door, knocking loudly.

“Ida do you know where the print went that was sitting on the couch?” she asked through the wood and heard a shuffling sound. A moment later the door swung open and a scowling face appeared, along with a large piece of card.

“You just left it lying around in the way, so I moved it,” Ida replied, attempting to shove it into Leigh’s hands and the redhead looked momentarily shocked.

“It was out there so the ink could dry, can you please not touch my stuff next time?” she growled, and spun around on her heel. Storming back to the lounge she collected her bag, rolling the print up as she raced through the door. If she kept a brisk pace she could just make the next train and hopefully make it to work before anyone important noticed.

Leigh made it to the subway and slipped on board just as the doors shut, leaving her with a small spot standing beside them. It was still full of heavy peak hour traffic; however it wasn’t as bad as she knew her previous train would have been and it allowed just enough room for her to take a peek at the logo her boss had wanted on his desk that morning. She was pleased to note that her housemate hadn’t seen fit to redesign it. Glancing at her watch she let out a soft curse, the journey seeming to take forever as it always did when there was a deadline. Eventually though she tumbled out at her stop and racing up the stairs made it onto the streets of London and to the office building only eight minutes late.

“You’re living dangerously again,” a voice spoke as Leigh sank into her chair, and she glanced up to find her close work friend Belle leaning over the partition separating them. The look on her face must have given her away and the brunette furrowed her brow. “Housemate trouble again?”

“She had the fucking concept logo in her room ‘cos I ‘left it lying in the way’. I couldn’t find it anywhere,” Leigh groaned, moving to flatten the paper out. She knew that if she didn’t get it into her boss in the next thirty seconds or so he would probably be out to hunt her down.

“Why don’t you just leave already?”

“Because I signed a contract and I get the distinct feeling that attempting to break it early would be more hellish than it already is living with the witch,” the redhead quipped, rising to her feet once more and snatching it up. “I’m off to hand him his baby, wish me luck.”

“Good luck and God speed,” Belle said, flashing the girl a grin. As Leigh made her way across the office she couldn’t help but break into a smile of her own. She had been working here for four months so far, but it was probably four months longer than she would have if Belle hadn’t been at the desk next to hers.

When Leigh had followed her boyfriend half way across the world she had been excited to start a whole new life. She had spent the first month travelling and playing the tourist before setting her sights on a job. Then it had all fallen apart. After her first week her boyfriend had pulled her aside and informed her that with the move to England he felt the need for a total reinvention of his life; and that included her. When she had arrived to work on the Monday with a broken heart and two weeks to find a new place she failed to hold it together. It was Belle that called a tea break and pulled her into the bathroom, dabbing her face with tissues and agreeing that her now ex-boyfriend was a complete jerk and should rot in the rubbish pile he called his life. The comment had caused Leigh to give a giggle, and ever since then they had been firm friends.

“Ah Leigh, very good, I was just about to come looking for you.” Her boss’ voice cut through her reminiscing and she shook her head as if to clear her thoughts, holding the concept print out for him.

“Sorry sir, I was trying to flatten it from the ride here. I had to fiddle with sizing a bit, but I hope it turned out how you want it,” Leigh said and he took it from her, nodding as his gaze ran over it.

“Very good, I appreciate this a lot. I know I kinda threw it on you last minute.”

“Not a problem sir, it didn’t take too long,” she lied. He didn’t need to know she had spent several hours trying for the correct sizing and placing before she was satisfied. Either way it would get her name in the good books and once he dismissed her she retreated to her desk. She had just sat done once again when Belle appeared next her, glancing around before leaning against the desk.

“You need a holiday.”

“I need a rich husband, a maid, a chef, and a chauffeur, that or the lotto. That’s the dream that keeps me going,” Leigh sighed, and the brunette rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I’m serious. My cousin’s got some free time and has arranged for our family and close friends to spend two weeks in the Italian countryside. Put in a request for leave and if it gets approved come with us.”

“What? Don’t be silly Belle, I couldn’t intrude on family stuff.”

“Did you not hear the word close friends?”

“Surely there’s someone else you’d rather spend that time with. Besides, would the boss really allow two of his staff the same time period off?”

“Do you really think I’d be offering this to you if there was? I didn’t wipe your tears away for no reason you know,” Belle started, waggling a finger in the air. “There’s no massive project on the horizon, just try your luck and if you get it then I’ll be at your doorstep.”

Leigh chewed her lip as she debated what her friend had suggested. It was true that between her breakup, her new housemate, and her job two weeks in Italy sounded like a dream came true. What was there to lose really? Either she would be granted the leave, or she wouldn’t and continue working as she already was. Eventually she nodded and reached for a pen and paper.

“Alright then, give me the dates and return to your prison cell before you get caught and can’t go either,” she urged and Belle cheered softly, giving her the times.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi all, welcome to my first semi-successful attempt at a Tom fiction. Please don't be shy and let me know what you think. Above all, I hope you enjoy.