With Love, From Italy

Twenty-One

At what seemed like an almost frightening speed the next few days disappeared without the family really knowing where the time went. They spent most of it continuing to explore the area, as well as improving their tans down at the beach, before heading to their favourite restaurant in the area for dinner and drinks. For the family it was always a treat to experience a beach that wasn’t Cornwall, and for Leigh it was nice just to be able to see something similar to what she had at home. On the morning they had decided to traipse back down there they had woken to a rain swept landscape and heavy clouds still lingering. Everyone had met around the dining table to discuss what the new plans would be considering it looked like anything outdoors was off the cards.

Leigh was disappointed with this turn of events, having looked forward to spending as many days by the ocean as she could before she had to say goodbye to it. When she had woken that morning, in the moments before she had heard the sound of pattering rain she had fantasised about lying on a towel beneath an umbrella and feeling the warmth seep into her. Perhaps with a bit of perving on a shirtless Tom thrown in there as well. Now she sat back silently as the others threw ideas around. She didn’t fancy stepping out into the weather even if their destination was undercover, and so her vote lay with staying inside all day – or at least until the clouds cleared. In the end some of the group headed off to see what there was to do, while the rest of them, including the youngest quartet stayed where they were.

Leigh murmured a thank you as Belle placed a fresh cup of coffee in front of her and she reached forward to pick it up, enjoying the bitter taste of the liquid as she swallowed a mouthful. Tucking her legs underneath her she angled her chair towards Tom who had taken a seat next to her, his own cup of coffee in his hand.

“So what’s our plan then?” Caleb asked, leaning back in his chair and placing his feet on the edge of the table. He let out a wince as Belle slapped him relatively hard, letting the seat fall back onto all four legs and glaring at his sister as he rubbed at the side of his head.

“This is the plan,” Leigh surmised, waving a hand to take in the coffee and kitchen table, before using her other to point out the window. “And watching that.”

“A bit boring don’t you think?” the boy retorted and all three turned to him in mild interest, wondering if he was going to suggest something better. “Well I mean, we only have four days left of this and then it’s back to crazy old London.”

Belle let out a groan, reaching over and whacking Caleb again with almost as much force, a large scowl planted on her face. “Thank a lot Caleb, I could have well done without the reminder that I have to go back and deal with all the shit they left for me at work.”

With the timely reminder Leigh felt her already bobbing mood sink. So far she had managed to forget about the life that sat waiting for her back in the capital. It was incredibly easy to do so when this vacation seemed to have already lasted a life time as opposed to just shy of two weeks. In some ways it seemed like a distant memory, but Caleb’s words had reminded her that it wasn’t. In four days’ time she would kiss goodbye to the lovely summer of Italy and return to what was probably an equally rainy London to a housemate who hopefully hadn’t burnt all her belongings, and a job that would probably make her hair fall out in the first week. And then there was – no.

Rising from her seat the redhead excused herself and headed into the next room – an informal sitting room, moving towards the window there and staring out. The rain was coming down in sheets, heavy unlike the common mist of London, but it still seemed to match her mood uncannily. She didn’t flinch when she felt a presence suddenly appear at her back and a hand touched her shoulder gently. When she didn’t oppose a pair of arms wrapped around her waist and she let out a sigh, allowing her head to fall back into Tom’s chest.

“Are you okay love?” he asked in a low voice and she shrugged, unable to help the small shiver that passed through her despite her mood. Biting down on her lip she placed her hands over his where they were clasped around her middle.

“Just Caleb ruining everything with reality,” she began, trying to formulate the words to explain how she felt. “I’m…scared to go back to London. I’m scared at what I’m going to find when I turn up at the flat. God knows what Ida’s done, or how I’m supposed to deal with her for the next three months. And I know Belle’s thinking the same thing I am – that we’re going to return to work to find a pile the size of Mount Everest of work for us to catch up on, and any new stuff they throw at us.”

Taking a steadying breath she prized Tom’s hands apart and when he obliging stepped back she turned around to face him. Somewhat nervously she met his gaze, twisting her lips as she pushed the words passed them. “And also… well I’m kinda… what about us?”

The man raised an eyebrow at her, stepping back in and clasping her hands in his, bringing them up to hold by his chest. As always with him he didn’t shy away from intensity, bowing his head so that he could be more level with her as he stared into her eyes, showing his honesty. “What do you mean what about us Leigh? I’m not one for holiday flings – at least I haven’t been since I was about eighteen. I’m sorry to say it, but you’re in this for the long run.”

Letting out a deep breath along with some of her anxiety, she pulled at her hands, bringing him in closer to her. “That makes me feel a bit better. Though I’m still a little worried. I mean we’ve met here in this amazing place where we get to spend all this time together, but once we’re back in London I’ll be working and you’ll be off who knows where shooting your next project.”

“And I promise for every second we’re not doing either of those things I’m going to harass you until you wish my next film will be shot in Antarctica,” he vowed and she let out a small laugh, prying one hand free to punch him jokingly in the chest. “But for now will you try and relax please darling? Don’t let the last few days of this wonderful holiday be ruined by what I can prove to you is actually one of the most amazing cities in the world.”

“You just say that cos you were born and raised there,” she joked and it was his turn to break into a grin, letting out a chuckle. Letting her other hand go he moved his to her hips, pulling her in until they were pressed flush against each other and he leant in, kissing the tip of her nose. She couldn’t help but feel herself relax with his action; he was right. No matter how hard it was she couldn’t let a dark cloud hang over her for the rest of the trip. At least some of her worries had been solved by his assurance that they would continue on after they returned to England. She knew it would be vastly different, but thinking about her worries and the possibility that now she could meet him after a hard day and fall into his grasp was surprisingly comforting. “You’re a miracle worker, you know that?”

“There’s no need to flatter me Leigh, they’re really only small surprises. Get back to me when I can make a blind man see,” he joked and this time she pushed him away properly, muttering about him also being terrible at jokes. But then she slipped her hand into his and once his fingers had curled around hers she pulled them both towards the direction of the dining hall.

When they reentered they found Caleb sitting at the table looking miserable and Belle standing nearby, a smug grin plastered on her face. Leigh’s glance darted between the pair and she shook her head. “I don’t think I even want to know.”

“Let’s just say he won’t be mentioning London anymore if he actually wants to return there in one piece,” Belle said and the redhead let out a giggle. Sliding from Tom’s grasp she moved towards the girl, placing an arm around her and tilting her head slightly.

“Well, we have a deck of Uno cards in the room. Otherwise we could ask the owners whether they have any board games or something,” she suggested and Belle’s face lit up as the younger girl turned her head towards Caleb. “Is that a better decision for the weather?”

Caleb let out a non-committal grunt and Tom clapped his hands together, before recollecting his coffee mug. Taking a slurp he placed it down. “I vote the board games, I’ve heard about Leigh’s skills at Uno.”

With that decided they headed towards the lobby where they knew at least one of the owners would be seated. It took a little while between the lady’s stilted English and the group’s basic Italian, but eventually they got their meaning across and were soon set up at the table again with a Cluedo board spread out in front of them and a chess board, Trouble, and Battleships off to one side.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's only a few chapters left now. I have them planned out, but at the moment it's about figuring out when I have time to write them as I've just started full time employment. They will be happening though!