With Love, From Italy

Twenty-Two

Sitting on her bed Leigh flicked through a magazine that one of the family had purchased a few days ago. Being in Italian she had no idea what was written, but the pictures were entertaining enough, especially the ones of football stars on holiday. In two days time she would be on a plane back to London, and tonight was a family dinner – a tradition that usually happened on the last night, but this year Sarah and her husband were leaving a day early. Leigh had decided she would spend the night curled up in bed reading through the magazines and finishing off the book she had brought along but hadn’t had a chance to pick up. In a lot of ways she was looking forward to it; so far on this trip she had always been around at least one person and so she considered tonight a kind of transitioning period. Because even though Tom had assured her that this hadn’t been a temporary venture, she knew that being plonked back in London with her crazy housemate would involve an entire readjustment. Glancing up as the door to the room opened she watched as Belle came to a halt in front of her, placing her hands on her hips.

“What do you think you’re doing? You’re not even dressed!” the brunette cried and Leigh blinked up at her, slightly confused.

“I thought it was a family dinner?”

“And you’re family, idiot,” Belle said, rolling her eyes and moving to the girl. “And no, I don’t mean that in a ‘you’re dating my cousin’ way, but you’re here on this holiday and that makes you family.”

“By that logic I’m committing incest,” Leigh mentioned and Belle let out a snort, nudging her lightly. “How long do I have to get ready?”

“Ten minutes, max. So get your butt moving girl.” With a groan the redhead pulled herself out of the bed, tossing the magazine at her friend as she moved to her suitcase. Going as fast as she could she rifled through her clothing, wanting to find something decent despite having worn everything multiple times already. In the end she settled on a pair of plain trousers and nice, decorative shirt. “Eight minutes Leigh, you might want to get cracking.”

Flicking Belle the finger, she moved to the bathroom and managed what could possibly have been the shortest shower of her life, before applying a light layer of make-up and parading out into the main room. Belle had plucked up the magazine and seemed to be trying very hard to understand an article and Leigh had to clear her throat to catch her attention.

“One minute to spare, no?” she said cheekily and the brunette was quite to roll the magazine up and batter her with it playfully as she rose to her feet. “I spose we shouldn’t keep the family waiting, I don’t want to make a bad impression after the past few weeks.”

Linking arms the pair made their way down to the dining room, where the family had arranged themselves around the long table. Leigh’s gaze found Tom who had perked up with their entrance and was smiling ear to ear. She couldn’t help but return it as he beckoned her over and she found her place next to him. There was a chorus of cat-calls as he immediately leant in to greet her with a kiss and she couldn’t stop the blush from forming.

“You look lovely,” he whispered, and this time she had to suppress a shiver. It seemed Tom had expected this much and as he let out a soft chuckle she reached down to squeeze his leg less than gently. From across the table Belle was giving the pair a knowing look and the man raised his hands in innocence just as his mother got to her feet.

“A few words, before we dig into this amazing looking dinner,” she started, and indeed it was. The owners of the villa had gone all out in providing them with an amazing home cooked full Italian meal that was spread out before them, looking incredibly enticing. “First off to the lovely couple who prepared all this and who have put up with us for the past two weeks; grazie di cuore! Also, thanks to Tom who has put all of this together and created another amazing family holiday.”

At this point Diana had to pause as everyone began a round of applause, sounds of approval rose amongst it. With a wave of her hands she calmed the family down, before continuing. “We’re always grateful for these little escapes, and even more so when it involves welcoming someone new in. Leigh, you’ve been a delight on this holiday and if Tom and Belle don’t invite you back next time then I will be.”

Leigh hadn’t been expecting any kind of mention in the other’s speech and words caught her off guard. There was a funny twisting feeling in her stomach and she felt the corners of her eyes begin to sting with forming tears. Diana shot her a smile as Tom wrapped an arm around her shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. “And we wish that if it had to end, we could have at least another day with my daughter and her husband, but alas children and work are always beckoning. So here’s to another great family holiday, now let’s dig in and celebrate.”

There was another round of applause and calls as the woman raised her wine glass and everyone quickly followed suit, turning to tap each other’s together with resounding clinks. Placing her glass down Leigh grinned brightly, reaching out to pile food onto her plate as everyone else did the same. She had just placed it back down when she felt a kick against her leg and looked over to find Belle waving a butter knife at her. “Did I see you getting a little emotional there Leigh?”

“And if you did?”

“You know, I think getting you out of that hell hole and inviting you along here is the best thing I’ve ever done,” Belle mentioned, choosing to ignore the gagging sounds that Caleb was making next to her.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Tom said and Leigh looked between them both, breaking into an ear splitting grin. It seemed Caleb hadn’t been the only one to overhear the conversation though as John leant over, feigning an accident as he bumped into his son.

“Count me in on that, Leigh you’ve been absolutely charming. Don’t let anyone keep getting you down, you hear me? You have us now to come complain to anyway,” he vowed and Leigh thanked him sincerely, feeling a buzz within her that she hadn’t felt for a long time. With a smile spread across her face she plucked up her fork and began to eat.

It was several hours before the last of the family pushed their empty plates away from them, everyone feeling sated and content. As Leigh sat patting her belly and cooing to a food baby she felt Tom’s hand land on her and she looked to him quizzically. He tilted his head towards the door and with raised brows she agreed to his silent request, rising to her feet. As Tom took her hand and led her out neither uttered a word, simply leaving in silence. Leigh watched him in puzzlement, wondering where he was taking her and for what purpose. Eventually they came to a halt in the courtyard, the warm summer air tickling her skin.

“Tom what -” her question was cut off by a kiss as he leant in and she sighed internally as his hand rose to cup her cheek. Almost automatically she wrapped her arms his neck and when they eventually part they slid down to rest on his chest.

“I brought you out here because I have something to give you,” he started, a hand snaking into his pocket and when he pulled it back out there was a key balanced between his fingers. Leigh’s gaze darted from the object to him, still utterly confused. “It’s a key to my house, I had it cut for you yesterday.”

“Tom, I-”

“Relax, Leigh. I’m not getting all creepy after only a week, I’m not asking you to move in with me. But I know how hard it is in your place back in London and I want to offer you a place to escape to. If it ever gets too much, or you just don’t want to be there you can come to mine whether I’m there or not,” he explained, pushing the key a little closer to her and giving her the best puppy eyes he could manage. “Please?”

“I can’t believe you’re giving your girlfriend of a week keys to your house,” Leigh said, a strangled laugh escaping her and she wrapped her hand around both the key and his fingers. “Remember that time I told you I was just waiting for the opportune moment as a crazy fan?”

“Looks like you have it,” he said with a grin and she laughed again, thumping him lightly on the chest and taking the key in her grasp properly. Reaching up she planted a soft kiss on his mouth.

“Thank you, really. You have no idea how much this means to me,” she thanked him and he smiled at her, his blue eyes locking with hers intensely as they always seemed to.

“You’re welcome. Now how about we go and continue celebrating? We only have tonight and tomorrow night left, after all,” he suggested and she nodded, allowing him to take her hand once again and lead her back to the others.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now we're really drawing to a close, only one more chapter left!