With Love, From Italy

Three

Almost four hours later and the group was pulling into Levanto, Leigh instantly falling for the charm of the seaside town. Despite a few close calls where she thought she was about to become collateral in arguments between Belle and Caleb, she had enjoyed the trip there thoroughly. She was quick to learn that they were the type of siblings to argue over almost everything and had already begun to tune them out or distract them when tempers rose. At some points she even wondered if she could become a professional negotiator. As they honed in on the villas they would be spending the next fortnight in, Belle glanced over at her with a look on her face that interested Leigh.

“I forgot to say earlier, but we kinda have a rule that what happens in Italy stays in Italy,” she started and Leigh refrained from replying, knowing she was about to continue. “And try not to be too shocked by my cousin.”

Leigh nodded once for confirmation, silently wondering what was wrong with her cousin. She began to have dramatic visions of two heads, or severe burns, or the like. From the sound of things he had single handedly taken care of the trip, minus flights, so she assumed he was fairly successful in whatever it was he did. Pulling into the car park behind the older group everyone clambered out, stretching their cramping limbs and moving to unload the luggage. Once everyone had gathered together and the cars were locked they made their way towards reception, the three youngest falling into line behind the others. Having joined last minute Leigh and Belle were having to share a villa, and as the brunette spied a cute guy she turned to devise a very university themed system of a ribbon tied to the door handle.

“Oh wonderful, you’re all here. Now we’re just waiting on Mary, Adam and my sisters,” a strangely familiar voice interrupted them and Leigh turned to face it. Her eyes went wide as she watched none other than the famous Tom Hiddleston approach, and turned back to Belle. Suddenly the girl’s words from ten minutes earlier became clear; she wasn’t supposed to be shocked because there was something wrong, but because he was one of the hottest up and coming actors of the past couple of years. The brunette was looking at her in amusement and shaking her head Leigh tried to rid herself of the stunned silence. It was just in time too as he bundled his cousin into a hug before turning to her. “And you must be Leigh, my lovely cousin’s best friend. Sorry you have to bunch in together.”

“I-it’s fine, I’m not bothered… and wait, she used those words?” Leigh asked, managing to barely register the fact that he had leant in and kissed her on the cheek in greeting. When he pulled back the redhead looked at her friend curiously.

“She did, does that come as a shock?”

“Awe, come on Leigh, we’ve bared our souls enough to warrant that haven’t we?” Belle questioned with a grin and the foreigner nodded, shooting a smile back. They waited the rest of the time in line in silence as Tom went through, greeting each family member and with a very warm welcome to Diana, who Leigh finally realized was his mother. When her, Belle, and Caleb were all checked-in to the last of the villas, they all turned to the actor who caught their attention with a clap.

“Alright everybody; Cecil, Eva, and I were going to go for lunch on the beach front in about fifteen minutes. If anyone wishes to join then dump your bags and meet back here,” he announced and there were several nods as everyone began to move off. Leigh followed Belle behind the rest, briefly acknowledging Caleb as he rested an arm on her shoulder.

“Did you want to go to lunch Leigh?” Belle asked as they made their way down a hallway and she turned to her friend, nodding blankly before her brain finally kicked into gear.

“Tom Hiddleston is your cousin?!” she hissed and Belle nodded, a sly smirk spreading across her face. “When you said that stuff in the car earlier I was expecting, I dunno, that your cousin had a third arm growing out of his forehead or something.”

“Wow, can you imagine how many ladies he’d get if he had that?” Caleb commented and it was Leigh’s turn to roll her eyes and jokingly elbow him in the ribs. “Ow, what is it with you girls and your pointy elbows?”

“We file them especially, and sorry Leigh, but I was in a cruel mood and wanted to see your reaction” the brunette apologized and Leigh exasperatedly shook her head, rubbing at her face. “If we go lunch you’re not going to forget how to eat are you? Because I don’t want to be near that embarrassment if you are.”

“Wow gee thanks, maybe I should have the third arm,” the Australian said, holding her free arm up against her forehead and causing the other two to laugh. As they arrived at their villa they farewelled Caleb and stepped inside. Once again Leigh was shocked as she took in their surroundings, wondering if she would ever be able to afford anything like this herself. “This is… wow.”

“I know what you’re thinking, and relax, you’re technically a free tag along anyway. So stop worrying and get out of those annoying London jeans and jumper,” Belle urged as she dumped her suitcase on one of the beds, automatically opening it. Pulling herself together Leigh moved to copy her friend, pulling out a pair of shorts and a t-shirt that was much more suited to the Italian summer day it was.

[ * * *]

After taking a few minutes to gussy up and sort out some of their belongings Leigh and Belle returned to the foyer to find most of the group already congregated. They slipped in beside Belinda, who made a comment about holiday stomachs before resting her hands on her daughter’s shoulders.

“Any idea if Caleb’s coming, or is he already chatting up the ladies?” Tom questioned, turning to them and Belle shrugged.

“I presume he is, but who knows,” she replied and Belinda squeezed her shoulders good naturedly. After discussing ideas the group decided they would wait another minute before they left, Caleb or no Caleb. It turned out not to be necessary however as the boy careened into the lobby several moments later, commenting about getting distracted by his room.

With that the group set out into the Italian afternoon, Leigh thankful she had managed to squeeze on some sunscreen as the sun rained down on them. She bathed in its warmth, a welcome relief to the still chilly England days and began to idly wonder whether she should move here. She was brought back into focus as Tom struck up conversation with his cousins, and she noticed that the four of them had fallen behind a little.

“So I know you only just got here, but what do you think of the place so far?” he asked and Caleb gave him a thumbs up as Belle pretended to think for a moment.

“I think Uncle Adam’s going to be pissed that you’ve shown him up over his Greek vacation,” she commented and he broke into the infamous grin of his, draping an arm around her shoulders. Leigh gave him a sidelong glance, still trying to absorb it all. She wouldn’t call herself a diehard fan, but she had seen a few of his movies and admired both his acting skills and his appearance. With one last squeeze of affection he slapped Caleb on the back and jogged up to join the others.

“What’s he showing up your uncle on?” Leigh asked, once he was out of earshot and both Belle and Caleb turned to her, obviously forgetting she didn’t know the deal.

“Oh, every couple of years a branch of our family organizes a trip to somewhere in Europe and plays host and tour guide for the first five days. Some of the more competitive members see it as a bit of a competition to hold the best one,” Caleb explained, informing her that next time it would be their turn to run it.

“Right, so that’s why he’s running around like a headless chook checking up on everyone?”

“Mostly, though for a while now Tom’s felt like a bit of a mediator between us and the older generation. Caleb and I, and whoever we bring are usually the youngest and he’s pretty much in the middle,” Belle said and Leigh nodded in acknowledgement, casting her gaze to the family up ahead as they approached their destination.
♠ ♠ ♠
And so Tom has appeared! Now we're really going to get into everything.