Forever and for Always

We Will Be Together All of Our Days

Lori Scott pulled up to a larger than average house in the ritzier part of Raleigh North Carolina. She could find this house half asleep with her eyes closed, she remarked. She had been babysitting for the Staals for roughly two years, just about the time she started university. At the beginning of her academic career she was in serious financial need. Already working a part-time job to keep herself afloat, she answered an ad for a babysitting gig. She met the family and instantly took to them. With her interests dabbling more in archaeology than sports she hadn’t even realized who Eric Staal was. At the time she knew Tanya and Eric’s kids were well mannered and that they paid her very well. She came over on the occasional game night and twice a week for date night. It was a win on both sides.

She twisted the ignition and her compact Honda was quickly silenced. Looking out the passenger window, she saw someone poke their head out from behind a curtain. They waved. She smiled and waved back. After she exited the vehicle, Lori approached the door and knocked. She was greeted by none other than the head Staal himself.

“Hiya Lori! C’mon in!” Eric ushered her into the home.

By the kitchen Lori saw Tanya steady herself against the wall. She continued her balancing act as she slipped on her other heel. Lori heard her exclaim in pain and then mutter expletives. Tanya opened her hand. A fresh wound and hooped earrings glistened in the light. Eric wore a concerned look as took her upturned hand in his. Tanya looked at Eric and smiled. He seemed to understand the underlying meaning in her eyes. He smiled in return and let go of her injured hand. The two turned back to Lori, acknowledging her presence.

“Hey Lori, how are you doing?” Tanya asked, her warm smile still in place.

“I’m doing well. How’s your hand?”

“Oh it’s just a scratch. I’m not going to let it keep me from going out tonight,” Tanya replied with a chuckle.

She dropped the hoops into her other hand and wiped the damaged one on her dress. Unhooking an earring, she inserted it into her ear. “I put Levi down about an hour ago. He’s got a bit of a cold and may fuss throughout the evening. I’ve placed cold medicine on the counter by the fridge. He’ll need some more in about four hours,” she instructed walking over to the couch to pick up her purse.

As the other hoop went into her other ear she continued, “Parker is still up, but he’s in his jammies. He just needs to brush his teeth before he goes to bed.”

“Is bedtime still the same?” Lori inquired.

Tanya nodded, “Eight o’clock sharp!”

“After story time of course,” Eric reminded Lori.

“Ah yes, can’t forget story time,” Lori smiled.

“Speaking of Parker, where is he?” Lori asked surveying the room for the young Staal.

Eric placed an arm around Tanya. “He’s hiding,” he told her as a giggle emanated from behind the couch. Lori nodded, her mouth forming an ‘O’.

Tanya and Eric walked to the door. Tanya grabbed her coat from the front hall closet. “We’ll be back around one in the morning. We’ll give you a call if we’ll be staying later.”

Lori nodded, “Sounds good. Have a nice time you guys!”

Eric led Tanya out the door. He turned around with a cheeky look and flashed Lori the thumbs up. Lori simply shook her head and laughed. She wondered if he had that expression when he scored on ice. The thought made her laugh even harder.

Lori closed the door behind the couple and then proceeded to lock it. She whipped around, a devious smile playing her lips.

“I wonder where Parker is?” she asked feigning the puzzled tone in her voice. Another giggle was emitted from the couch.

“Could he be in the kitchen?” She inquired tiptoeing closer to the couch. She heard the same giggle and her smile widened.

“Or perhaps he’s in the closet?” She continued her questioning as she slowly stepped onto the couch. She peered over the edge and saw Parker Staal on his hands and knees. He was looking around the side of couch, no doubt looking for her. Lori dropped both hands and tickled the young boy.

“Found you!” she exclaimed while Parker squealed in delight.

Parker squeezed out from behind the couch and launched himself into Lori’s arms. “How’re you doing bud?” she asked hugging him.

“I’m doing great Lori! How are you?”

“I’m doing fantastic!” she replied and then asked, “What do you want to do?”

“Can we watch a movie?”

Lori shook her head, “Sorry bud. Bedtime is in about ten minutes, but if you brush your teeth now, we may have time for a story.”

A smile stretched across Parker’s face. “Okay,” he nodded.

Two hours later, Parker was safely in bed and Lori was back in the living room quietly watching television. She was through her fourth rerun of ‘Friends’ when she heard a knock at the door. She quirked her head to the side, Eric and Tanya weren’t due to be back for another three hours. Padding over to the door, she looked through the window. Jeff Skinner was smiling at her through it. She opened the door immediately.

“Eric called me and said that you may want company after Parker went to sleep. I thought ten o’clock would be a safe time to come over,” he said, stepping inside.

Lori pursed her lips. I’m going to kill that sneaky Staal, she grumbled subconsciously. For the past six months Eric had been trying to get Jeff and Lori together. Not that she minded. She liked Jeff –who didn’t? She actually thought he was cute and had grown quite fond of him. She however did not like being Eric’s pet project.
“Sure, I wouldn’t mind the company. It gets kind of boring being here by myself” she told him.

He nodded, the smile never leaving his face. He sat on the couch and settled in for quiet evening. Another episode of ‘Friends’ and two ‘Full House’ episodes later, Lori turned off the TV. She suggested a game of truth or dare to spice things up, but she became severely disappointed when neither of them had the audacity to pick dare.

“Truth or dare,” Jeff asked her, a delightfully pleasant smile gracing his lips.

Lori returned his smile with a mischievous one of her own. She leveled her gaze with his and contemplated her answer. Her nose crinkled and a playful spark ignited her eyes. “…truth,” she finally conceded, leaning back.

“Tell me something personal,” Jeff stated.

“I don’t want to get married,” she said. Jeff’s smile dropped.

“Why not?”

Lori wagged her finger in front of him. “Ah ah ah! You’ve already used up your question. It’s my turn now,” she spoke.

Jeff gulped. Her teasing stare was back. Under that gaze he knew he’d commit murder without her even batting an eyelash. “I’ll do a dare if you answer me,” he blurted without thinking. He closed his eyes and turned his head away, silently cursing himself. Around Lori he never thought. That could be very dangerous for both parties. She looked at him through her eyelashes. Jeff audibly swallowed again. Very dangerous indeed, he concluded.

Lori groaned, “Ugh, fine.”

“When I say I don’t want to get married, that doesn’t mean I don’t want the commitment. I would be more than willing to spend my life with someone,” Lori began. She noticed Jeff’s luminescent smile return.

She shrugged before she continued, “It’s just that I don’t really need the fireworks or confetti. I don’t need a big wedding. In all honesty, you spend ten grand on a big day and expect the marriage to live up to the height of that big day. When it doesn’t, both parties forget what they entered the marriage for and divorce.”

“Well that’s cynical of you,” Jeff snorted.

Lori sat up. “Think of it this way. Lots of money for legal documentation of a couple’s love for one another,” She tried to explain.

“Still very cynical Lori,” Jeff replied.

She threw a pillow at him. “Just because everything is rainbows and unicorns in Skinnerville doesn’t give you the right to criticize my opinions,” she defended.

Jeff dodged the flying object with ease and asked incredulously, “Are you seriously telling me that you’d turn a guy down if he proposed?”

Lori bit her lip in contemplation and Jeff inhaled sharply. Did she know what she did to him? “If he knew how I felt about this matter and proposed anyway, then I would say no,” she responded truthfully.

“That’s cold, colder than Canada.”

Although he expected his response to offend her, Lori remained lighthearted. She barely pushed him. “It’s your turn Dr. Phil. You better keep your word,” she spoke as he crossed his heart with a laugh.

“Truth or Dare?” she asked.

His heart strummed rapidly before the word left his mouth. “Dare,” he answered, his voice cracking under pressure. Lori giggled, before pointing a finger against her cheek. She was deliberating, he concurred.

Lori opened her mouth and then shut it with a wary ‘hmph’. Her posture changed. Her shoulders slumped as her hand gripped the back of her neck. She was looking at the ground. Jeff raised an eyebrow, had Lori (of all people!) become shy? She bit the inner side of her cheek.

“Why don’t you do what you’ve always wanted to? I dare you to kiss me Jeff,” she said swiftly.

Jeff almost fell back in amazement. Had he been hallucinating or did the girl of his dreams just ask him to kiss her? Jeff cleaned his ear out with a finger. “Come again?” he asked.

“I want you to kiss me,” she stated simply, a blush rising on her cheeks.

Jeff nodded, nervously licking his lips. He placed a clammy hand at the base of her skull. His hand jerked forward too fast and their heads collided. He heard a muffled “Ouch!” and his face burned so hot he could roast a marshmallow on his cheek. “Sorry,” he apologized sheepishly.

Lori shook her head, “No problem, try again.”

This time Jeff skipped any extra physical contact. He slowly lowered his face closer to hers. Soft and deliberate was his predetermined method just before their lips connected. But as they molded in perfect unison he could no longer form coherent thoughts. He did remember to smile when Lori kissed him back though. Lori felt her body become languid when he smiled into the kiss and she held onto his shoulder to keep from liquefying completely. Jeff pulled away first with a huge grin plastered on his face.

“How did you know that I wanted to kiss you?” he asked.

Lori smirked. “I didn’t. I just knew that I wanted to kiss you and hoped you felt the same.”

“Boy did I ever!” he replied enthusiastically, making Lori laugh.

“Good,” she said, kissing him again.

Image


Lori jumped out of her car and booked it to the door. Today was her and Jeff’s one-year anniversary and she was fifteen minutes late for dinner. A quick look in the window, she ensured her hair no longer stood up on end. Taking a deep breath she entered Jeff’s home.

“Knock knock!” her voice rang through the house. She walked through to the kitchen. Her boyfriend was nowhere to be found.

“Jeff?” She asked confusion laced within her tone.

Lori went behind the island and saw a fire extinguisher propped up against the counter. In the sink a charcoaled chicken continued to steam. She heard the door slam behind her. Frantic footsteps froze. Lori turned to see Jeff holding takeout bags from their favorite Italian restaurant. His face visibly reddened.

“Sorry about the mess. I wanted to do something special for today. Eric suggested I cook a meal, but that didn’t turn out so well,” he explained, his ears burning.

He placed each bag on the counter, “How’s La Volta’s fettuccini alfredo sound?”

Lori pecked his lips. “Sounds fantastic,” She said, lifting a bottle into view, “I’ve brought wine to celebrate!”

Jeff’s eyebrow rose. Her face held an extra air of excitement. Her lips were also curled into a smirk. She knew something he didn’t and she was waiting for him to ask her about it.

“What else are we celebrating tonight?” he asked, smiling in return.

“You know that professor that’s going to Israel on an archaeological dig? He had an open spot and chose me to go with him!” she exclaimed, her hands cupping the overflowing ecstatic grin on her face.

Jeff’s smile shrunk. “I thought you said that trip was for three weeks?” he asked, a pit hollowing his stomach.

“It’s only three weeks. It’ll be over before you know it and we’ll be together for the rest of the summer,” Lori continued to talk. She was too happy to see the change in Jeff’s demeanor. This was her chance, she would be able to go into the field and learn even more about her desired profession. The news made her feel like she was floating.

“That’s a really long time,” he spoke over the thunderous pumping of his heart. He was trying to remain calm. He was trying to keep an open mind. Yet his voice dripped with doubt –just enough doubt to catch Lori’s attention.

“It’s no different than this shortened season we just made it through. I hardly ever saw you, but that didn’t change things between us,” she reasoned.

Jeff shook his head. “It’s completely different! I called you when the team was away. We still had communication. You’re going to be in the middle of nowhere without service. You’ll have no means to get in contact with the outside world,” was his rebuttal.

Lori’s mouth tightened, but her eyes grew wide in shock, “What has gotten into you? This is a huge moment in my academic career. This will have major weight in my future archaeological career. Normally you’d back me on this.”

Jeff’s hands clenched into fists. He opened his mouth and frustrated grunt escaped. He couldn’t answer her, because he couldn’t think.

“Jesus Jeff, I’ve always backed your decisions when it comes to hockey. What makes me so different? Am I not important enough?”

Jeff’s face blanched. All emotion dropped. His body loosened up as if he’d had all the air knocked out of him. Of course she was important. She was always important. He factored her into every decision he had made since they started dating. Think Jeff, think he muttered in a panic. Think of some way to show her she matters.

“Marry me,” he blurted.

“What?”

Jeff clenched his teeth. Well, that was the wrong way to go about this. “What do you think you’re doing?” She seethed.

“I’m trying to propose?” he questioned himself.

“No, you’re just trying to make me stay.”

Lori pinched her nose. She let out a strangled breath and then placed her hand on the counter. “I’m going to Israel Jeff,” she spoke definitely.

“In the meantime I think we should use these three weeks as a break,” she continued, a somber tone marked in her speech.

He nodded, a numb feeling taking over. “We’ll talk when I get back,” she stated, leaving the house.

Three weeks did pass by awfully fast for Lori. It honestly felt more like five days since she had last seen her apartment. Hauling her suitcase onto her bed, she began to unpack. After everything had been restored to its rightful place she looked around her room. Her eyes fell upon a picture of her and Jeff. The corners of her mouth drooped into a sad smile. Maybe I should call him.

Lori picked up the phone and dialed Jeff’s number. The ringing ceased, but she heard him hesitate on the other line. “…Lori?” He asked warily.

She took a deep breath, “I think it’s time we have that talk.”

“C’mon over,” was his reply.

Twenty minutes later she was on his porch. Jeff was slow to open the door, but when he did he spread his arms and engulfed her in a big bear hug. She instantly relaxed within his grasp and nuzzled her face into the warmth of his neck. Any prior emotions she had, melted as he tightened his hold on her. Within seconds she knew he was sorry. Within seconds she was reminded of how much she had missed him while she was gone. He was her haven. He was her home. She wouldn’t give him up that easily.

“I’m sorry,” he spoke into her hair.

“I’m sorry too,” she said, her words muffled against his neck.

He relinquished his grip around her. They pulled apart and he saw the expectant look in Lori’s eyes. She wanted an explanation.

“I was scared,” he spoke softly.

Lori’s eyebrows puckered. “You? Scared?” She said, completely flabbergasted. It never occurred to her that he’d be worried, never mind scared.

“Well, yeah,” he said frankly. Jeff reached out and grabbed Lori’s hand. He held it and began to trace the lines on her palms. “I can take a hit. I can battle through a concussion. I’m not afraid of a lot of things, but I can’t stand losing you Lori. I really can’t,” he elaborated.

Lori gripped his hand within hers. His eyes met hers and her heart stopped. There it was plainly etched into the liquid bronze irises of his eyes: defeat, but more importantly, love. It had even seeped out the corners, escaping his dark lashes. She placed a hand on his cheek gently thumbing away the triumphant tear. “You were worried about losing me?” she inquired, concern deepening the furrow above her eyes.

Jeff shook his head, “It sounds silly saying it now, but I thought maybe you’d find an Indiana Jones-like archaeologist and run off with him.”

“Indiana Jones?” She laughed and Jeff shot her a displeased look.

She caressed his cheek. “I can assure you there were no Indiana Jones’ just middle-aged, married colleagues. You had nothing to worry about,” She told him. She smiled in hopes he’d reciprocate. No such luck, he merely rolled his eyes.

Lori released an exasperated sigh, “Jeff Skinner, I am not going anywhere. I love you and I shall love you forever.”

That made him smile. “Always?”

“Always,” she agreed, pressing her lips against his.

With his lips still fixed to hers Jeff asked, “In that case, do you think someday you might agree not to marry me? Perhaps you’d consider not being married to me for the rest of your life?”

Lori deepened the kiss, “I think I could.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first time doing a one shot for a contest. The song I had was "Forever and For Always" by Shania Twain. Let me know what you thought of it! Any feedback is really appreciated. :)