Status: complete

Somewhere in NYC

Shut Your Eyes And Sleep

You're vaguely aware of things happening around you, but your eye lids feel too heavy to open your eyes and your ears won't stop ringing. It's the hardest thing you've ever done to not give in to the temptation of sleep, but someone you don't recognize keeps shaking you and shouting at you to stay awake and your body automatically responds. You wish he'd shut up and let you sleep.

You think you can hear someone calling for an ambulance, but you don't even what them to, you just want to sleep.

You can just about make out the sound of Alex saying something to you and when you feel your back raised off the ground by someone's shaking arms you assume it's him, but you don't even have the energy to stop your head flopping back without someone supporting it, so you definitely don't have the energy to open your eyes to check.

The screeching sirens get louder as they approach, keeping you awake at the same time as causing the ringing in your ears to become even more incessant making your head feel a splitting pain which makes you feel like you're fading even more. Alex has stopped making any noise you can hear, and you've stopped feeling the sensations of him shaking and you wonder absently if you're dead before your brain stops thinking anything at all.

It could be days, weeks, or months later when you first become aware of parts of your body again. Working from your fingers and toes you begin to subtly flex each limb before attempting to open your eyes and instantly snapping them shut again. There probably isn't that much light in the room, but it's still too bright for your unadjusted eyes. After a few minutes you manage to flicker your eyes open until they can stand the brightness of the room.

The first thing you see is a woman in a nurse uniform standing next to your bed smiling calmly down at you.

"Hello, Jack," she says, "you're at the hospital."

You look around and the room fits the name so you decide to believe her. You want to ask questions but your brain feels far too sluggish and your tongue like a dead weight in your mouth.

"You may have to be here for some time, you've been here for two weeks to the day already and we have been led to believe you were in a coma."

This information isn't making you feel any more comforted, and you're struggling to keep up with what she's saying even though she's talking slowly.

"Would you like to see your family?" she asks, and you nod your head immediately. You're happy you can move your body even if you don't think you're able to talk, at least something's working.

Your siblings and parents walk in to the room a few moments later, closely followed by Alex, which you don't think to question. They all have deep, dark circles under their bloodshot eyes and you wish you could tell them everything was okay. But currently you still can't move your tongue.

"Hey," your mum says, the first to break the peaceful quiet in the room. "It's good to see your eyes open," she speaks softly and sounds on the edge of tears and you want to get out of bed and hug her, but luckily she's on the same wavelength and moves around the bed to hug you herself, clinging on to your arm when she moves away.

Your eyes move on to each member of your family as they smile at you, until they reach Alex and you stare at him a little too intently.

"He told them he was your half brother," your mom answers your unspoken question for you.

His voice cracks as he says, "you scared the shit out of me, bro."
♠ ♠ ♠
is the title of this slightly insensitive? idk. what are comas like? idk. does this chapter suck? maybe but it's the wee hours of the morning and it seems pretty good right now