Status: Work in Progress - Updating Regularly

Puppet

Chapter Eight

Alice had to be honest with herself. She was utterly and completely confused as to who she would choose at the end of the week. All along she had been set on choosing Ryan deep down she knew that but there was a strange attraction to Josh that she couldn't deny either. She had a nagging feeling in her gut that told her this situation was wrong, that she shouldn't put herself through this. But somehow she had rationalised what was going on and accepted that this was her fate, that this was the life she was meant to lead. A knock at the door brought her back from her thoughts and she called for the unknown visitor to enter. Her breathe caught in her throat when she saw Angelo standing in the doorway.

"Before you say anything Alice," Angelo quickly interjected, "I came to apologise to you for what I did. It was wrong and I realise that, I honestly don't know what came over me. I'm still going to be leaving I just needed to come to you and apologise. I hope you can forgive me."

"Angelo, of course I forgive you, I'm sorry you have to leave," Alice replied.
"It's fine. I need a bit of a break anyway, I might go see some friends in Italy or travel around the country for a bit," he replied shrugging his shoulders.
"I hope you have fun," Alice said as she stood from her bed and walked towards him attempting to pull him into a hug.
"Why are you being nice to me?" He asked her confused by her actions.
"Because there's no point me spending my life hating your for what you did," she said, "you apologised which is more than I got from any of the men in my life who abused me. I know I shouldn't thank you but apologising makes me understand that you feel guilty and you know what you did was wrong. Everyone else who beat me thought it was the right thing to do because I was disobedient or ignorant or selfish or useless or I didn't want to fuck them."

By this point Alice was no longer looking at Angelo but down at her hands which she had began to fidget. She could feel Angelo's harsh stare upon her but it took her a few moments before she built up enough courage to actually look up from the ground. Angelo was standing there his mouth open wide as he slowly moved towards her with outstretched arms pulling her into a hug.

"Alice, I'm sorry. I don't know how you can forgive me but thank you," he said before pulling away and walking to the door before smiling and shutting the door behind him.

Alice was left with nothing but her thoughts as she dressed and prepared for the day ahead. Walking down the aged staircase she headed towards the kitchen passing a few of the guys on her way but all she wanted at this moment was food. Opening the fridge she discovered a slightly less horrifying sight, sitting in front of the seal locked bags of A+, O- and AB blood was certain items of food that the average human could consume without making themselves ill. Alice pulled two eggs from the fridge along with some milk and two pieces of bread. Pulling out a fry pan which she was surprised existed she began to make herself som french toast. Just as she was about to serve it up for herself Ryan walked in sniffing the air as he continued.

"Something smells good," he said smiling as he approached Alice resting his hands on her hips as she placed the two pieces of egg soaked bread onto a plate.
"Well it's mine so back off," she said mockingly as she pulled the plate towards turning away from Ryan and his touch. She walked towards the small island bench and sat on a stool as she began to eat her breakfast under the careful watch of Ryan. After finishing one piece of toast she looked up at Ryan whose face was serious and stern whilst he stared at her mesmorised by the woman before him.

"Why are you so beautiful?" He asked her as though it were a secret.
"I'm hardly beautiful," Alice scoffed continuing to eat her breakfast as Ryan slowly approached the other side of the counter.
"I can't keep telling you how beautiful you truly are," Ryan said desperately.
"You don't have to tell me anything because it isn't true. I've been told my entire life I'm ugly an entire lifetime of people can not be wrong," Alice said matter a factly.
"They can be wrong and they can be stupid. Those people in your life couldn't appreciate what was right in front of them, they were more than likely jealous," he finally finished.
"I don't understand how all of you could want to be with me for forever, it's such a long time," Alice finally admitted having given up on the food on her plate.
"Because we see something in you, that you clearly don't. After everything am I not the only one pursuing you now? You don't have to worry about the others just me," Ryan said smiling as he walked towards her. Alice shifted awkwardly under his stare and he picked up on her change in posture.

"What's wrong?" Ryan asked slightly worried.
"Nothings wrong per say," Alice said sheepishly.
"Then what aren't you telling me?" Ryan asked as the worry was replaced with frustration.
"You aren't the only contender," Alice said looking up into his eyes watching them shift into an auburn colour.
"How can there be someone else? You would pick Angelo after he hit you or Chris knowing what he did with Lexi?" Ryan asked almost disgusted.
"No you think I would choose someone who physically hurt me or who could?" Alice asked shocked by his tone and implications.
"Alice, the man you were with when we found you. Do you not remember all the things he did to you? You clearly don't have the best track record in your choice of men," Ryan retorted.
"Well was I wrong to think I could choose you to spend the rest of my life with?" Alice asked as the anger began to rise in her voice.
"No because I can promise here and now to never hurt you. We may fight like we are right now but fighting like this is healthy it proves we are willingly to fight for our feelings," Ryan replied standing taller as the auburn gradually disappeared from his eyes.
"It's not Angelo or Chris whose a contender," Alice declared weakly.
"Then who is it?" Ryan asked once again on the verge of a breakdown.
"Josh," Alice whispered just loud enough for Ryan to hear. But all Alice heard was the sound of a slight gasp, more of an inhaling of breath before Ryan's footsteps were heard leaving the bathroom and bounding up the staircase. She didn't know what was going to happen but she tried not to think about the consequences of allowing Josh to become a contender in the fight for her love.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoy this chapter although it is more of a filler than anything. Sorry it's been a few days been extremely busy I'm amazed I got this up as I am starting to get an awful head cold. Once again comment and subscribe to show your interest in this story continuing. Thank you for the continual support of certain members who give feedback each time a new chapter is posted I appreciate it greatly.

So thank you and keep commenting!