Status: Work in Progress - Updating Regularly

Puppet

Chapter Nine

Walking out of the kitchen Alice heard soft shouts from the living room. As she carefully treaded her way down the hallway she heard voices gradually getting louder.

"I had won. I can't believe you would do this you selfish son of a bitch," she heard Ryan cry at who she assumed to be Josh. She hurried her way down the hallway and quickly opened the door to reveal Chris, Josh, Ryan and Ricky all standing around staring at each other.

"It's not my fault she agreed to let me enter. If she so desperately wanted you why would she have allowed me to be a part of this?" Josh asked overly confident and smug knowing the words would hit hard.
"She was getting ready to choose me. You dropped out, you can't just come back in whenever you feel like it. At the end of the week if she chooses you, are you going to say no and break her heart?" Ryan asked, which got Alice thinking. It took them a moment but the stupid vampires who were so caught up in their arguing finally realised Alice was standing in the doorway.

"You really need to stop fighting over something as ridiculous as me. I am not worth your arguments and I don't know if I can decide between the two of you, I need more time," Alice said a jolt of confidence allowing her to appear more powerful and assertive than usual.
"We can't give you anymore time. We gave you a week for a reason because on Saturday it is a full moon and an unusual one it's the only time that we can perform a bonding ceremony for the next ten years and we can not miss this opportunity," Chris blurted out from the other side of the room.
"Why didn't you take me earlier then? Why give me so little time?" Alice asked confused.
"Because you weren't always our first choice darling, our other choice fell through," Ricky said with a grin. She hadn't thought of Ricky as evil or vengeful or hurtful for that matter but at this moment it seemed like he was trying to hurt her.

"I knew I wasn't good enough for anyone," Alice said before storming out of the room and slamming the door behind her. She quickly rushed upstairs into her room slamming the door once again making sure she locked it. She turned around still filled with disgust to find Devin sitting quietly on her bed.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as tears began to roll down her cheeks.
"I thought you might need someone to talk to or simply to hug?" He said a small smile upon his cheeks.
"Was I really the second choice?" Alice asked walking to sit by him on the bed.
"Yes but you shouldn't see it like that. See this as a second chance at a new and completely different life. The first girl I thought was disgusting she was some whore they thought was attractive but she had no personality. There's a reason they picked you instead," Devin replied.
"Why did they pick me? I was their second choice after all," Alice said simply.
"Because you were the better choice it's like walking into a supermarket you have all the delicious chocolates and then you have strawberries. Now given first choice many will go for the chocolate but if you give it some thought strawberries are not only delicious but good for you, do you get where I'm going with this silly metaphor?" Devin said laughing at himself.
"I think I do," Alice said with a weak smile.
"You need to have more faith in yourself. You are beautiful and kind and you deserve a second chance and this is it. You have to pick one by Saturday, you have decide whose the chocolate and whose the strawberry in your life," Devin said standing from the bed before pulling Alice into a hug and walking out the door leaving her to her own thoughts.

Alice lay down on her bed and for the first time she was had arrived in this oversized house began to cry. Not just your simple tears but proper sobs letting out all the frustration, disappointment and fear she had towards the next three days ahead of her. Three days. She had three days to choose the man or more correctly vampire that she will spend the rest of her life with, who she will raise a child with. As the thoughts began to overwhelm her she slipped into a deep sleep, dreaming of her life to come. She awoke hours later to a knock on the door, she didn't move or make a sound but in came Ryan his head down in an almost shame as he walked towards her bed.

"Alice," Ryan said softly causing Alice to look into his deep brown eyes.
"Yes," she said meekly.
"I'm sorry for what went on before. You shouldn't have had to hear us fight like that," he said as though embarassed by the situation.
"It's fine. It's a difficult situation for everyone, I get to choose who I want, you have to wait to be chosen or rejected," Alice began, "I get it, it's intense for all of us."
"Do you know why we chose you?" Ryan asked lightly.
"Devin tried to explain it with a pretty bad metaphor. But I think I get the gist, the other girl although beautiful had no personality?" Alice replied more questioningly.
"That's pretty much it, you had more of a story, more strength and determination to live than anyone we had ever seen. After everything you had been through we thought you deserved a new start in life," Ryan said as a smile began to form across his face.
"Well I'm glad you chose me. I'm sorry I let Josh back in, I just think I feel something for him but then I think of you and I know that I have feelings for you," Alice said no longer looking into his eyes, "I'm just so confused Ryan."
"It's okay," he replied as he pulled her into his chest and gently began stroking her red locks. "I'm sorry we have to rush you but trust me we know it isn't easy."
"Does Ricky hate me?" Alice suddenly blurted out.
"Why would you say that?" Ryan asked slightly amused slightly concerned by her question.
"Well when we were downstairs it was like he was purposely trying to put me down by telling me I waas your second choice," she stated honestly.
"He can be mean sometimes. I don't think he hates you but I don't think he's fully on your side other but don't worry about him. You have to focus on choosing between me and Josh," Ryan said stroking a hand along her cheek before placing a gentle kiss upon her lips.
"What did I do to deserve you in my life?" Alice asked smiling into his chest.
"Nothing. It's me who is lucky to have you in my life," he retorted cheekily, "You deserve happiness Alice. No matter what anyone ever tells you never settle for anything you can control. You deserve love and a life of joy don't let silly things put you down and keep you there."

Standing in that room in that moment Alice couldn't help but smile. But then Devin's metaphor came back to her. Was Ryan the chocolate or was he a strawberry?
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like this chapter. It's a bit of a nothing chapter and I swear I have no idea where that metaphor came from but it seems to work. Thanks for the comments especially some certain people who have stuck with this story. Like:
cr3ature_
Heaven_syn_gates
Your feedback and continual support is amazing thank you so much!
And for everyone else please tell me what you think of the story so far and if you like where it is headed or where you think it will go.

Thanks everyone! :)