Rain Songs

My Love for You Was Bulletproof

It had started raining earlier that morning and we had gotten outside just in time for it to really start coming down. We sat under the safety of our porch.

"I really hope this doesn't ruin your birthday Lee." Vic sighed and rested his chin on his knees.
"Of course not! I'm just glad you're here to spend it with me. I mean you kind of had to though. Best friend duties and all." I told him bumping him a little with my shoulder.

He laughed and rolled his eyes "I don't remember signing a contract stating what I have to do as a best friend."

I shrugged and stuck my hand out to feel a little rain on my hand. "I guess it's kinda of implied." I said.

We sat there in a comfortable silence for about ten minutes, before Vic got a bright look on his face, and jumped up running into the house. When he came back out, he had a guitar alongside him.
"I was gonna do this later tonight, but I figured now was a better time."
I gave him a confused look, and he laughed a bit. "Just listen."

"I breath you in with smoke, in the backyard light. We used to laugh until we choked into the wasted night. It was the best time of my life, but now I sleep alone. So darling, don't, don't wake me up. Cause my thrill is gone. In the sunset turning red inside the smoke, forever and alone." I gaped at him as he sang to me. It sounded so beautiful in the rain. It was if it were singing with him. He looked over and smiled at me, "Sing with me Lee, I know this is your favourite part."
"This isn't fair,no, don't you try and blame this on me. My love for you was bulletproof, but you're the one who shot me." I whispered along with him. "And God dammit, I can barely say your name. So I'll try and write it, and fill the pen with blood from the sink."

He turned his whole body towards me, and motioned for me to stand up with him. "But don't just say it, you should sing my name. Pretend that it's a song, cause forever it's yours and we can sing this on the way home." He nodded towards me and I took it as my cue to finish up the song for him.
"I'll sing along, oh, cause I don't know any other song. I'll sing along, but I'm barely hanging on. No I'm barely hanging on. By the time your hearing this I'll already be gone. And now there's nothing to do, but tear my voice apart. Now there's nothing to do, and scream at the drunken moon."

He stopped playing and put the guitar down. "Happy birthday LeeAnne." He said as he scooped me up into a huge hug. And I was glad that I had spent this day in the rain with my best friend.