Status: **In Progress

Don't Open the Door for Strangers

The Chase Begins

Matt’s lungs were aching. His legs felt like jelly.
How long could three teens run?
God, he needed more work out in the field, and to lay off the potato chips.
His phone started buzzing in his pocket, he pulled it out and looked at the screen.
It was a text. It read:
Jimmy: We can hear you weezing all the way up here. U might as well come chew me out.
Matt chuckled and sprinted up to the boys.
Jimmy started to speak, “Now before you start bi-“
Matt cut him off and enveloped him in a tight hug.
“Im sorry Jim.”
Jimmy was taken aback.
“You’re sorry? Why? It was my fault.”
“No, it was mine.” Matt assured him. He pulled a wad of folded papers from his pocket and handed them to his son.
“I planned on showing you these and helping you, not stopping you.” he explained. Jimmy unfolded the papers and stared at the faces on them.
“I searched the data bases and found some likely culprits.”
As he was flipping through the pages, he stopped at one. He handed the picture to Matt.
“Him.” was all he said. Matt could see the hurt and recognition flash behind his brilliant blue eyes.
Austin and Jack looked at each other, sympathy in their young faces. Neither of them understood how someone so young could have that much hurt in them.
***
Johnny stood silently in the gym lobby, waiting for it to clear out so he could talk to Lacey, the receptionist.
Once the meat heads had left and began their work out, Johnny approached the counter.
“Hey babe.” he cooed at the beautiful brunette sitting at the computer.
“What happened to your face!” she cried, running her finger over the cuts.
“Had an issue at work today...” the man sighed. Lacey kissed each of his cuts and then kissed his lips. Lacey knew everything about Johnny’s choice of employment.
“Well Im sorry babe. What do you need?” she asked.
“Is there anybody in the system with the last name Sullivan?” Johnny asked. The brunette began tapping away at her key board.
“Well, I don’t see any Sullivan’s but I have a Matt Sanders, I know his adopted son’s last name is something like Sullivan.”
“Got a phone number, or an address?”
“Babe, you know Im not supposed to give out clients information.” Lacey said, biting her lip.
“Lace, this assignment could cost me my job.”
Lacey didn’t completely like Johnny’s line of work, but it put food in their mouths and he brought home really good pay.
She wrote down the listed phone number and the address on a Post-It note and gave it to her husband.
“Be careful.” was all she said before turning back to her computer, dismissing the short man.
Johnny left the gym feeling accomplished.
Maybe this time he would get it right.
Ten minutes later, Johnny found himself parked in front of a two story homey looking tan house.
It looked as if nobody was home.
He got out of his car and walked to the front door. He tested the knob. It was locked. He made sure his S&W SD40 VE was strapped to his side and pulled out his lock picking kit.
About five minutes later he was granted with a satisfying click. He turned the handle and ventured into the house.
***
Matt and the boys walked into the station and shut themselves in his office.
They had gone over a few simple plans of attack.
“Do you guys know how to use a hand gun?” Matt asked Jack and Austin, knowing Jimmy was already fully educated in the art of weaponry. The boys nodded.
“I hope you know that its totally different form Call of Duty.”
They stopped nodding and their shoulders fell.
“Great...” Matt sighed.
Matt left the office and headed to the weapons room, stopping at the head office.
“Hey Matt, what can I do for ya?” his supervisor, Alex, asked.
“I’d like to reopen an old case and request a team.” he explained.
“Paperwork?”
“Yep, already done.” Matt threw a hefty pile of papers on the desk.
Alex ruffled through them, then grabbed a red stamp and stamped the top paper. He handed it back to Matt. The paper had “APPROVED” across it in big red letters. Matt’s heart jumped.
“Good luck Matt.” Alex said as Matt started to head out the door. “Matt?” he called him back.
“Yeah?”
“Its not healthy to dwell on Shelly. You gotta let her go man.”
“Alex, if I could, I would.” Matt sighed and headed back out the door.
He grabbed a few hand guns from the weapons room and headed into his office. He handed a gun to each boy and began to explain the safety precautions and how to use them. They headed to the shooting range. Just as Matt started demonstrating how to shoot, his phone went off. It was his home security alerts. Being a cop, Matt had the best home security in the city.
The message read: “The lock on your front door has just been picked, authorities have been alerted.”
Just then his pager went off. He was alerted of his own home being broken into.
“Boys we gotta go somebody is in the house.” he called while running to his police cruiser.
They piled in and headed to the house.
***
“Stay put.” Matt commanded as he pulled out his gun and cautiously headed into the house.
He kicked the door open and slowly check around corners.
He walked up the five stairs to his living room and noticed a figure standing at the mantle, admiring the many picture frames.
“What makes you think you can just fucking come in my house?” Matt shouted.
“Shut up asshole. Im not here to steal your shit. Im here for Jimmy.” the man explained as he turned, Matt’s stomach dropped as he took in the short mans features. His scar. Dirty blonde hair. Buff arms and chest.
Matt didn’t have time to react as the man launched himself at Matt and struck him with the handle of his gun. Matt blindly shot as his head hit the floor, his vision cutting in and out, warm blood trickling down his face. Matt heard the other man walk outside, his feet crunching in the gravel. Matt tried to get up but became dizzy, he fell to the floor again and threw up, then finally fell into unconsciousness.
Johnny headed towards the police cruiser. He threw open the door and pulled the boys out one by one, throwing them in the gravel.
Jack began to scream for help but Johnny kicked him in the stomach.
“Shut your fucking mouths, or I’ll shoot each one of you.” he commanded, pointing his gun at the boys.
He grabbed Jimmy by the hair and pulled him to his feet.
“Get in the fucking car.” he ordered, shoving the sixteen year old towards his black Honda.
“Don’t do it Jimmy!” Austin shouted. Johnny shot the ground next to Austin, causing the teen to scramble away and burst into tears.
“Next time it’ll be your head I shoot.” Johnny promised.
Jimmy didn’t see a point in protesting. Matt would help him.
Where was Matt? Jimmy thought.
Jimmy was taller than the man, but definitely not as buff. He didn’t stand a chance, so he complied and got into the back of the Honda.
Austin pulled himself together and launched at the short man, smashing his head into the car and landing on top of him. Austin had the advantage of speed and height, but not strength. Johnny turned and punched him square in the face, sending the teen to the ground, blood pouring down his face and chest.
“Stupid brat.” Johnny muttered, then climbed into the drivers seat and sped out of the driveway and back to the head quarters.
♠ ♠ ♠
Im baaack!! Shits hitting the fan now!! I know I've lost quite a few readers, but if you still love this story please don't be silent readers. Please let me know what you think!!