I'm Not Crazy

1/1

Dekatreea was annoyed that he had to continue these therapy sessions. Especially for a year now.
"Well hello Dekatreea..."
"It's Dak!" Dak's correction made Dr. Blake flinch.
"Dak... Calm down, we still have 50 minutes to go. Now, you haven't ever mentioned why you don't like your first name. Would you mind telling me why?" The therapist took his notepad and pen out, something he does often.
"After Maylea died, I did a bit of research. Maylea's name means a wild flower, something delicate and harmless. My name is a Greek abomination, a..." Dak choked out an exaggerated, continuous a. His breathing grew rapid and he looked around the room.
"Deka- Dak!" Dr. Blake yelled out. Dak's parents told him to do this when Dak began to have 'episodes.' Everyone thought this was all an act, that his rapid breathing was fake since he didn't have any breathing problems. Dak snapped right back into reality and looked down at the mossy, green carpet in what looked like a depressing state.
"My name is a number... One that's been known to cause bad luck, and is often feared on a certain day. Dr. Blake smirked and looked up at the calendar, taking Dak's words as some kind of hint. The date is January 12th.
"I think from what you're saying, that since tomorrow is Friday the thirteenth, that your name means thirteen?" Dak shuddered at the grotesque word thirteen.
"Dak, I'm not trying to seem mean but I noticed you've built a fear revolving around this specific number." Dak rolled his eyes in response. Well how long did it take the therapist to notice something obvious like that?
"Well then what's wrong with me?" Dak slightly smiled, he was going to go along with this.
"Triskaidekaphobia is not a common fear, but some people have been known to have superstitions about the number..." Dr. Blake paused as Dak gave him an assuring look. "The number between twelve and fourteen."

"It's not just that! Everything leads up to Maylea's death! We were both..." Dak closed his eyes, thinking maybe this would shield him from his fears. He made a gulping sound and finished his hypocritical sentence. "We were both thirteen, it was January thirteenth, she died at five-thirteen A.M."

Dr. Blake sighed. This kid really couldn't be having theories of all of this, could he? "All those little things are just coincidences." Dak jumped angrily after hearing this. He growled as he kicked the chair over. He gripped his hair and paced around in frustration.

"Dak! Settle down!" Dr. Blake stood up, trying to calm the situation.

The tiny bell rang, indicating Dak's session was over. Time flew by when Dak had his episodes. Dak was beginning to calm down, his nostrils flared as his heavy breathing steadily slowed down.

"Goodbye..." Dak calmly walked out of the room and made the door shut quitely. Dr. Drake sighed and held a hand to his forehead. He closed his eyes and shook his head. He thought of what chaos would spread caused by Maylea's death anniversary and the number 'thirteen.'