Status: this is an excerpt for a piece i am currently working on

Faith

Faith

The knight, tired and exhausted from his trials, kneels on the floor; catching his breath for the oncoming storm. His holy power has left him and the demons around can sense it; the knight can feel them rushing towards him. But the Lord is not without mercy, for although the knight’s holiness has been taken, his lost magic was restored.

He stands up tall, knowing that even though he has no holy power, he has still been given a gift he thought was long gone. He readies his sword and raises his shield; he can hear the demons approach him, their mighty roars echo off the time-worn marble walls of the dark cavernous ruins: then, silence fell.

The knight utters a phrase, “Lux In Domino”. A ball of light bursts out of the knight and shoots to the ceiling. The ball illuminates all below and reveals every demon that is hiding in the darkness, the light burns their corrupted skin as it shines on them. The knight looks up in fear for he saw that he was surrounded by creatures that belittled him in size and strength. Yet still he knows that hope lingers, for his magic was as strong as ever.

The knight speaks another phrase “Inflammatio”. The knight’s sword becomes engulfed with a lustrous golden fire. “Tego Texi Tectum”, a bright white light surrounds the knight’s shield. The knight stares ahead at what lies before him, he begins to shake in his armor, the rattling echoes for every monster to hear, their demonic laughter booms towards the feeble knight.

Although the knight is scared, he knows that he must press forward, for he chose this path knowing that this day would come; to protect the unified kingdom. As he gathers himself, the ball of light above starts to fade away. The demons start to hide, once more, in the darkness they love so much. The only light shining was the knight’s fiery sword and his glowing shield.

The demons begin to laugh and roar louder as they rapidly stampede around him, the ground beneath his feet shakes sadistically to the demons movements. The knight stands his ground and stares into the darkness; he says a prayer.

“Our Father, Who art in heaven Hallowed be Thy Name; Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil…Amen.”

With these final words, the knight steadies his body and mind. He breathes calmly and gathers his courage. He remembers something his mother had told him as a boy, “Although the Lord’s power may not be with you, it does not mean that the Lord himself has abandoned you. He is always with you.” He smiles and charges forward.

He shouts his battle cry louder than any demon can roar. Then; he leaps forward into the unknown.
♠ ♠ ♠
A single excerpt.