Status: active

The Mute Mate

Chapter Fourteen

~Sally’s POV~

I slid into Jett’s car, pulling the door shut behind me as Jett did the same in the driver’s seat. As he started the car up and began driving through the town, I stared out the window, thoughts whirling through my head. I felt completely torn at the moment, my mind running from my family to Jett to the wolves attack.

“Sally?”

A slight shiver ran through my spine at the sound of his husky voice. Turning my head, I tilted my head to the side, waiting for him to continue. He peeked at me from the corner of his eyes before focusing back on the road, a slight chuckle leaving his lips.

“You’re cute when you do that.”

I blush cherry red, looking away as his chuckles increased in volume.

“Anyways, our pack lives a little bit away, maybe about 2 hours away. How about we get to know each other a little bit?”

I took his hand in my own, nodding my head as he looked at me again. A strange look passed over his face, but it was gone in a flash. We rode in silence for a few minutes, the radio softly playing before he cleared his throat.

"Why are you so quiet?”

Nervousness started to creep in as I stared down at lap, causing knots to form in my stomach. Now that I think about it, I don’t think he even knew of my condition. I’ve never really had reason to talk to him the entire time nor did I have the freedom to even hang out with him. How could I tell him that his mate, who was supposed to be the Luna of his pack, couldn’t even talk?

“Sally?”

I pulled my hand away from him, fear of rejection filling me. I still didn’t make a move to answer him, resulting the car slowly came to a stop. Jett’s face appeared in front of me, his face contorted with worry.

“…Sally?”

I swallowed hard before I looked up to him. I raised a hand to my throat, slowly tugging the collar of my shirt down, rubbing at what appeared to be bare skin.

“Wha?”

As I removed my makeup-covered hand, a faint pink scar was revealed. I then pointed to my mouth, shaking my head.

“You … can’t talk?”

I nodded my head, turning to the backseat to look for my backpack, pulling out a notebook and a pen before I face the front again, scribbling down my story. Jett stayed quiet, just increasing my nerves as I began writing faster so he could read it sooner. Before I could finish, however, Jett ripped the book from me, reading only what I had written so far before he chucked the book in the back. My face fell as I watched him start the car, speeding down the road. I gripped the armrest with my right hand, while my left hand tried reaching out towards Jett. But he growled as soon as I touched him, causing me to snap my hand to my chest. Tears began to fill my eyes, but I bit my lip, trying my hardest to not let them fall as I turned my head, watching the scenery pass by in a blur.

After what seems like hours, the car finally began to slow down, though the car was still speeding down the road at a pace a bit too fast for my liking.

Blinking my eyes, I tried to discretely wipe my eyes before taking a quick peek at Jett. His jaw was still clenched tightly, but his eyes had begun to lighten up, showing that he has begun to control his wolf again. Taking a chance, I reached out, hesitating slightly before I took his hand. He tensed up, glaring at me. I flinched back, quickly withdrawing my hand as I shut my eyes tightly.

Hearing a sigh, I jumped as a hand gently landed on my shoulder. Peeking at him through my eyelashes as I felt the car stop, I gasped as I was pulled into a hug. I was at a loss. But I soon relaxed as he held onto me tighter, filling me with a sense of comfort and protectiveness. But I soon remembered what happened not even a few minutes ago and pulled back, fear filling my eyes again.

Hurt filled his face as he dropped his head in shame. “Sally, please. I’m so, so sorry. I lost control of my wolf and I couldn’t control him. He was so mad, so mad at the fact that you were hurt, to see that scar on your skin that he didn’t care … that I didn’t care to see the explanation. Please, please, please forgive me.”

I shook my head, curling up into a ball. I heard him moving around before something pressed against my arm. I looked up to see him holding out my notebook to me.

“You look like you have something you want to say to me besides no,” he weakly joked, giving me a strained smile. I hesitated slightly before I took the notebook from him, scribbling down on the paper.

You’ve hurt me so much. I thought you were going to reject me because I can’t talk. I thought you hated me because of it. I kept thinking tha

Like the last time, I never got to finish writing. He had apparently been reading over my shoulder and he took my notebook from my hand, though he didn’t throw it to the back like last time. He placed the notebook in the space between us before he pulled me into his arms. I could feel tears seeping through my shirt, causing my own tears to fall.

“Sally, I would never, ever reject you, especially over something you had no control over. I know may have acted … badly, but I do love you already. It may be difficult for us, but I’m willing to do anything to make this work … to make us work. And maybe when you shift, we can finally start talking to each other, whether it’s through our pack link, mate link, or actual words. And even if not, then I’ll still love you no matter what.”

My eyes watered, hugging him even tighter as I nodded my head. As we sat there, I couldn’t help but feel that everything would be okay.

“Sally, let’s go. There’s another hour left of driving and then I can introduce you to my pack.”

I smiled at the thought, nodding my head excitedly as he chuckled, ruffling my hair. I scrunched my nose, swatting his hand away as I fixed my hair before he started the car, driving out onto the road. As he grabbed my hand, resting it on top of my notebook, I couldn’t fight that smile of my face. Just maybe things would work out for me.